Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We're still a bad team

tonyriggins

Its that time of the year where everyone is getting hyped up. But lets not lose sight that we are in the bottom 1/3 of the NFL, no GM, Gibbs II a disappointment, our passing game has struggled for years, and Mark Brunell still on the team, salary cap and most of all Daniel Synder is still the owner with no relief in sight!

You forgot to take your meds. Please do it and report back.

There's nobody with any credible football opinion who doesn't think that London Fletcher will have an immediate, positive impact on our team. We just signed a QB for our defense at the very MLB spot that is both smack dab in the middle of our defense and that has suffered from spotty (to be kind) play for two years.

Our offense was one of the better offenses in football over the last six weeks of last season when Campbell started, and only figures to get better going forward. I see no reason for your brand of gloom and doom.

It is way to early to assess the 2007 team one way or the other: we are only in the second day of the free agency signing period and still almost two months away from the draft.

Signing Fletcher was a solid move and Smoot could be as well if he is able to return to form after a dreadful experience in Minnesota. Of course, we still have to find a replacement for Dockery.

I'll reserve judgement for now.

This team has areas of great strength. Offensive personnel looks strong and the team appeared to start to get on the same page on that side of the ball as the year wore on. Defensively we were very disappointing and we are now somewhat better from a personnel standpoint than we were last year with the addition of Smoot and Fletcher.

We were a good team two years ago and are likely a superior team now from a talent standpoint. But, the failures last year were somewhat less about talent and more about communication in my view so, talent is irrelevant if the team doesn't come back together.

Last year's failures can leave a bad taste for all of us. I know it has for me. But, we are in very good cap shape, as we always will be with a good owner willing to spend cash to solve all issues. Now we do need Gibbs and company to put it together as they started to a couple years ago. Maybe they will this year again.

What? The addition of Smoot and Fletcher doesnt make us the best team in the NFL?

I would hope no one thinks the roster is that much better than it was at the end of the season.

However, we could be a good team if--a bit if here--Campbell plays well. There's no reason our defense cant be closer to what it was two years ago than what it was last year. If both Campbell and our D plays well, we have a legitimate chance to win the division. If they dont, we're looking at 5 or 6 wins.

It's sounds so simple and easy. IMO I think our success really depends on JC's play. Our D can't/won't be as bad as last year. Everybody loves to forget the first few years G.Williams had here. I'm optimistic because JC doesn't make too many mistakes. He won't hurt us as much as Brunell did two years ago.

Its that time of the year where everyone is getting hyped up. But lets not lose sight that we are in the bottom 1/3 of the NFL, no GM, Gibbs II a disappointment, our passing game has struggled for years, and Mark Brunell still on the team, salary cap and most of all Daniel Synder is still the owner with no relief in sight!

its ok everyone dont freak out, he was just at the wrong site. he really meant to start a thread on http://www.dallascowboys.com

The experience and calmness of JC will make this offensive rather explosive. If Gibbs and Saunders got that amount of run production with an inexperience quarterback at the end of the season, imagine when JC gets familiar with the actual offense, and not use your talent

The experience and calmness of JC will make this offensive rather explosive. If Gibbs and Saunders got that amount of run production with an inexperience quarterback at the end of the season, imagine when JC gets familiar with the actual offense, and not use your talent

Not to mention getting your all-pro RB back behind the line that all of a sudden began running stretch plays and then look at Ladell go! (Why was Portis being tossed sweeps for weeks? I dunno.)

I really don't know what having Brunell on the team as a backup at a reduced cap number has to do with the Redskins remaining at the bottom of the standings :laugh:

There are enough real problems to deal with that you don't need to invent new ones.

Would it have been better to cut Brunell, take the cap hit, and then be left with Todd Collins as the #2? Collins is also 35 but hasn't thrown the football regularly since before the Monica Lewinsky scandal broke in the 1990's :laugh:

mark brunell isn't playing though is he?

Yea

I hope the guy is completely wrong, of course, but hard to disagree with him

(although there wasn't any reason for this thread)

Injuries, injuries, injuries. When Springs was out Wright was the starter and we had so many different scrubs playing Nickle it was a joke. Every third and long they would convert. Then the next First down they would break a long run. It kept our D on the field and worn out all season. With better CBs the whole D will look better. And Holdman did not help.

This team has areas of great strength. Offensive personnel looks strong and the team appeared to start to get on the same page on that side of the ball as the year wore on. Defensively we were very disappointing and we are now somewhat better from a personnel standpoint than we were last year with the addition of Smoot and Fletcher.

We were a good team two years ago and are likely a superior team now from a talent standpoint. But, the failures last year were somewhat less about talent and more about communication in my view so, talent is irrelevant if the team doesn't come back together.

Last year's failures can leave a bad taste for all of us. I know it has for me. But, we are in very good cap shape, as we always will be with a good owner willing to spend cash to solve all issues. Now we do need Gibbs and company to put it together as they started to a couple years ago. Maybe they will this year again.

Art, you are so poetic. I have missed your words these past 18 months.

Well, untill we get 2-3 new starters on the D-line I dont know if we will be that much better. Daneils is done. Joe is done. Golston is a stretch as a starter at this point (but I do like him for depth and he might become one) and Griff will never stay healthy. The D-line even if we draft a DE/DT and he works out will still have at least one hole, and 2 when Griff gets hurt as he always does.

I've been a fan for a long time. Been through some rough times. All during

this time I never felt we were a bad team.

I can and will never bring myself to say the Redskins are a bad team!

We may not win as many games as I like. May not be the most productive

team, but never a bad team.

Yes, I am a homer and bleedy burgundy and gold. I just don't understand

a Redskin fan being negative about my beloved Skins.

Now now let's wait & see if we get some D-Line help between now & the start of training camp before we start putting us in the Super-Bowl....or putting up threads about we should take with the #1 overall pick in 2008...let's be calm and see how this all plays out over the course of the next few months.

Pessimist- you like things half empty, don't you.

Because so many good teams make the Super Bowl nowadays- Seattle, Chi, Car. I see no reason why we should be excited either, other than a great young QB, insane offensive weaponry and a Defense with something to prove.

Oh yeah, and the most important reason- Gibbs II!

Sit on it

Those were some pretty bad reasons to list for us still being a bad team. I'd say the crappy defense is probably the #1 problem.

No. Nothing overrides the cold fact that our owner is the reason we are consistently terrible. OK, Fletcher is good but $25 mil @ 32 years old? I hope there are provisions in that contract that address his age...

na that was last year man.... what kind of fan heads into the season saying we are a bad team??....

we might all know it... but its in the back waaaaay back of our minds.... we just deny it and say that was last year....

No. Nothing overrides the cold fact that our owner is the reason we are consistently terrible. OK, Fletcher is good but $25 mil @ 32 years old? I hope there are provisions in that contract that address his age...

There are some players who continue to play at a high level well into their 30's, including at LB. Donnie Edwards and Junior Seau come to mind in that regard. Fletcher hasn't missed a game in his NFL career. Think about that for a second.

Certainly, while past performance isn't necessarily indicative of future performance, all we need out of him are two good seasons to call this an excellent signing. I'm putting my money on Fletcher.

Anyway, for those who are critical, please indicate what alternative solution you have for shoring up all three of our LB spots as well as we just did by merely signing Fletcher. I'm loooking forward to your brilliant alternatives.

What "cold facts" do you have to back up your claim that it is a "cold fact that our owner is the reason we are consistently terrible."

Was it him aggressively seeking out the best coach this team has ever seen to re-coach the team?

Was it his willingness to open up his checkbook so that our coaching staff could get all the guys that they thought best for us to win?

Was it allowing Gibbs to bring in the asisstant coaches he wants?

Archived