Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: New Deal For Brunell Is Probable

D-Day

I am not sure if this should go in the other MB thread I started since this is a full article instead of a blurp. This also explains the whys MB would accept a pay cut and some probable restructuring options.

If it is a problem let me know,

Thanks.

New Deal For Brunell Is Probable

By Jason La Canfora, Washington Post

The Washington Redskins have made progress in contract negotiations with quarterback Mark Brunell and could complete a restructured deal in the coming days. Brunell, who lost his starting job to Jason Campbell last season and is recovering from shoulder surgery, said he hopes to be with Washington for a fourth season.

"I'm optimistic about getting a deal done," Brunell said.

Coach Joe Gibbs has been a big supporter of Brunell, but with Campbell now the starter and Brunell carrying a $5.2 million salary (and $6.7 million salary cap figure), both sides were amenable to restructuring.

In such a deal, Brunell, 36, likely would end up with a considerably lower cap figure, with a portion of his salary converted into a bonus, and a base salary closer to $1 million. Although he would make much less than $5.2 million, he would have job security for next season and some guaranteed money from the new bonus. Base salaries are not guaranteed in the NFL, and each team must fit under the $109 million salary cap.

Actually I just read the whole article. Lots of good stuff

The Redskins are still trying to rework cornerback Shawn Springs's contract, but there has been no progress in that matter this month and Springs could be released in June to alleviate the salary cap hit. The Redskins are expected to make a push to sign free agent cornerback Nate Clements (Buffalo) and many in the organization would be open to bringing back former Redskins cornerback Fred Smoot if he is released by Minnesota this week as expected. The team also approached veteran defensive lineman Renaldo Wynn about taking a cut in his $2 million salary, sources said, and could release place kicker John Hall, wide receiver David Patten and tight end Christian Fauria this week, creating more room to pursue free agents when the signing period opens Friday.

The Redskins are expected to pursue help at tight end and possibly defensive end, although they do not have as much available cap space as many other teams in the league at this point and are expected to focus on fewer players than in years past. The team also is attempting to re-sign starting guard Derrick Dockery before Friday -- when he could become an unrestricted free agent

defensive lineman Ryan Boschetti and offensive lineman Jim Molinaro -- have not received tenders and are not expected to get them by Thursday's deadline

Couple of restructures and we can be in pretty good shape with the cap to pay any draft picks and fill a couple of those holes in the defense. Fix the line!

*Chanting*

FIX-THE -LINE! FIX-THE-LINE! FIX-THE-LINE!

the chant of the 2007 Washington Redskins Offseason.

:D

I am not sure if this should go in the other MB thread I started since this is a full article instead of a blurp. This also explains the whys MB would accept a pay cut and some probable restructuring options.

If it is a problem let me know,Thanks.[.

D-Day, since you ask, you now have 4 threads on the first page. Its not breaking a rule but maybe taking it easy isn't a bad idea. ;)

Sounds good to me. Be a team player Marky!

If MB gives back money, not only will i be IMPRESSED, but i will be in favor of us keeping him (as our backup) as long as possible. This is his chance to demonstrate his dedication to our TEAM.

good to hear Wynn might survive the offseason after all

I agree. His cap hit is WAY TOO MUCH, but i'd still prefer him over some outsider. If he knows whats best, he'll restructure and WORK HARD to prove his worth this year.

He's not worth it. It puts a huge hole at the QB position. If JC should get a season ending injury or not live up to expectations, then what do the skins do? The season will be in the toliet. They need to go after a back-up that can be a potential starter in the NFL. I would love to get Matt Schaub from Atlanta, but I don't think that's going to happen especially since he's a restricted FA. Our best attempt at a good back-up would be to get Damon Huard from KC. I don't want Jeff Garcia; he may be pretty good, but personally I think he's an a-hole.

I know I just kept coming across articles

Which is fine. And appreciated. Each article gets it's own thread. Unless it's an AP piece that's posted multiple times online IE: ESPN/CBS Sportsline/WP/WT/etc. etc. In that case, one thread will surfice, considering that the article is the same even though the source is different.

In other words, same as it ever was. :)

Yes, as I said, D-Day, you weren't breaking any rules nor did I get the sense from your comment that you felt you were. But TK's reiteration of the official policy is always handy during times like this. My comment was just a suggestion as I noted :) . I simply chose not to elaborate on my reasons. Carry on, amigo.

Archived