Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DE dept. : Kerney voiding final 2 yrs of his contract ~ ~ ~

kelly

maybe he voided his contract because he has been playing for the Atlanta Falcons.No QB,bad WR's,lost O line coach,new rookie head coach,Abraham is a bum and I believe the rest of the line is going to be FA's.He just hit 30 and might wanna win a SB and he ain't doin that in the A T L.Maybe he would come in for less,hes a good player that I'de like to see in our rotation and if he made it to week 9 next year,then JA should be ready to start.

No one good comes here for less. The only come for more. And if he just wants to win a SB I think there are better options out there then the Skins right now.

wow so i just looked at his NFL page, it says he played a full season, yet espn says he did not. anyone know which source is right?

i think espn might have wrong info, he was a pro bowler in 04 so he must have played a whole season, so damn you espn for giving me bum info. either way, he is coming off of an injured season, and hes 30. NO MORE OLD GUYS ON THE D-LINE!!!

If you go to sack leaders for 2004 it has the leader for 8 sacks but when I clicked on kerney's name and went to game log for 2004 he had 13 sacks on espn matching the one for nfl.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/gamelog?statsId=4679&year=2004

maybe he voided his contract because he has been playing for the Atlanta Falcons.No QB,bad WR's,lost O line coach,new rookie head coach,Abraham is a bum and I believe the rest of the line is going to be FA's.He just hit 30 and might wanna win a SB and he ain't doin that in the A T L.Maybe he would come in for less,hes a good player that I'de like to see in our rotation and if he made it to week 9 next year,then JA should be ready to start.

Name one player who came to the Skins to play for less money. For the Patriots, Bears, Chargers, Colts, I could understand it. You're coming from the Falcons and want to play for a winner. But the Skins? Come on. This team is in a bit of disarray on defense -- coming off a lousy year and with locker room issues. Why would you come here for less?

If you look around the league and the teams that have a stellar DL, they all have one thing in common, youth. Kerney's injuries are starting to mount and he's not getting any younger. No way he has 4-5 years left of consistent play left as one has suggested.

The FA market has grown thin as a result of the salary cap being raised and teams being able to afford to franchise pending FA's. In other words, having few draft picks is really biting the 'skins in the ass this time.

Falcons | Could tag Kerney as franchise player

Tue, 20 Feb 2007 07:59:44 -0800

Steve Wyche, of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, reports the Atlanta Falcons could designate DE Patrick Kerney as their franchise player this year after Kerney recently voided the final two years of his contract so he could become an unrestricted free agent. The franchise tag would give Kerney a one-year, $8.6 million tender and give the club right to match any outside offer he receives or be compensated with two first-round draft choices. The deadline to designate franchise players is Thursday, Feb. 22.

Falcons | Could tag Kerney as franchise player

Tue, 20 Feb 2007 07:59:44 -0800

Steve Wyche, of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, reports the Atlanta Falcons could designate DE Patrick Kerney as their franchise player this year after Kerney recently voided the final two years of his contract so he could become an unrestricted free agent. The franchise tag would give Kerney a one-year, $8.6 million tender and give the club right to match any outside offer he receives or be compensated with two first-round draft choices. The deadline to designate franchise players is Thursday, Feb. 22.

So this guy must be too old, too hurt and on the downside of his career. :doh:

People, these moves allow the falcons to get some cap relief, Kerney gets top 5 money AND if someone does sign him, Falcons would get two #1's.

:helmet:

I Guess he wants out of Atlanta but as long as he doesn't land here good for him.

Unless we are going to switch to turf and go the speedy undersized defensive line route why waste money on a guy like him when it is obvious its time to invest with youth size and speed on the defensive line and stop getting into a bidding war of one for guys like him.

Yup, you are right when he was 27 he had a great year. When he was 28 it was an okay year and when he turned 29 it went down hill even further. Are those the same stats you're looking at as well? What do you think will happen when he turns 30?

Expecting a 30 year old to produce like he is 27 is completely far fetched and the core problem of this organization. Pay somebody based upon what they accomplished 3 seasons ago and hope they catch lightening in a bottle again. If Kerney comes cheap then he might be a possible DE stop gap for a year, with Daniels, but if the team is going to give away a 15 million dollar signing bonus to a DE, I'd rather it be to a 22 year old in Anderson or Adams.

I'm not advocating trying to sign him or not. I was just pointing out that I don't think the fact that many on this board have labeled him "injury prone" is necessarily accurate.

Archived