Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's the 1992 offseason, you are JKC, what do you do?

D'Pablo

92' was the year the music died for the Redskins organization. I keep thinking about what could have been done differently to derail our last 15 years of futility. If I had been JKC at that time, I would have:

1. Fired Charlie Casserly- He clearly hung around because of the house that Beathard built. Let's not forget he would hire a cowturd one year later.

2. Hire Tom Donahoe- He came on board with the Steelers right around this time. He pretty much ran their draft up until 2001. They were pretty good during that stretch.

3. Don't trade up in the draft- We then select John Fina, who would likely fall to us at #28. Good god did we have a tough time finding decent blockers in the 90s. I trade up with our second rounder and our pick from the following year to select Robert Porcher at #26. This could have set our roster up for a decade.

4. Hire Dan Henning as our coach- He knew the offense and he could have carried the torch for Gibbs. He proved he could develop QBs for the Redskins, and he even made Jake Delhomme look like a starter. Plus we would have kept some of the Redskins legacy alive. Ritchie Petitbon could have hung around, too.

2. Hire Tom Donahoe- He came on board with the Steelers right around this time. He pretty much ran their draft up until 2001. They were pretty good during that stretch.

I don't know much about the rest of your quote, but this guy got run out of Pittsburgh and then run out of Buffalo. While Pittsburgh did have some favorable drafts, its unclear how much of that was due to Cowher (who mgmnt. sided with) or to Donahoe. He made a lot of mistakes in Buffalo before being canned there.

I have no beef with your general point about replacing Casserly, but I just wouldn't have done it with Donahoe.

Wow, this is the ultimate hindsight thread... Why not pick up Bill Bellicheck.

Dan Henning failed in his attempts at HC with Atlanta and I think one other place. Pettibone earned his shot and if people feel sorry for Marty and think he deserved more than one year, I don't understand why people don't feel more sympathy for the 'bone who was a good and loyal soldier and served this organization for a decade... before being given one year with an aging and depleted cast. Pettibone deserved better.

JKC chose the GM and fired the coach. Snyder did the same thing with Cass and Norv. It seems to be harder to fire the GM than a coach. My guess is that it's because the gm is more administrative and has more of a day to day relationship with the owner and just deals with them more. Harder to fire your friends. See Cerrato's voodoo relationship today.

Okay, knowing what I know now and what has transpired the last 15 years here, I would:

1. I would do everything in my power to make sure Danny Boy's career in business failed miserably. (this to prevent him EVER buying this franchise) Not sure how, but by God I love this franchise and hate the way it has been run since Danny Boy bought the team.

2. I would have Art Monk go on a cocaine binge and hire a couple of strippers along with it to ensure his enduction to the Hall of Fame.

3. I definitely would've thrown all the money it required for Belichick.

But, that is all wishful thinking, what can you do.

I only hope we have turned the page of the organization and injected some stability here. Joe Gibbs is the longest tenured coach since Danny Boys return, that in itself is a good thing. Skins in 07'.

We can look back and want to change this or that but the bottom line is that if you could go back in time and relive those events, everything would still happen again as it already has.

Casserly was a favorite of JKC. He wasn't going to be fired no matter what. With the passage of time, it became clear that it was Bobby Beathard and of course Joe Gibbs who really were most responsible for the final championship run but at the time, it did appear that Casserly was doing a pretty good job of getting the "filler" pieces.

Richie Pettibon was the natural successor to Joe Gibbs and after firing him, Cooke went after the "young, up and coming prospect" in Norv Turner whom he compared to a young Joe Gibbs after meeting with him. If you take JKC at his word, then why shouldn't he hire Norv? In fact, I remember John Clayton warning Norv not to take the Skins job because it was such a disaster (age & cap) and for the benefit of his career he should take the Arizona job (that Buddy Ryan ultimately took). So in reality, the Skins were viewed as being lucky to have gotten Norv.

I too wish we didn't trade up in 92 and just kept our 2 1st rounders, but again that's looking back. At the time, Desmond Howard was an elite prospect. I don't think anyone thought he would end up being the complete bust that he was as a WR. The Posse was getting old and adding a young playmaker to a team that was thought to be stacked and primed for a repeat of a Super Bowl title made sense.

So yeah, if I could waive a magic wand and change the last 15 years I would. I would have loved to have our routine of a Super Bowl title once every 4 years or so to have continued from 93-06. But looking back, other than Dan Snyder not setting up a better football organization (hiring a top flight GM to run the Skins from the beginning of his ownership) I'm not sure there are any mistakes that we could avoid. Alot of the moves did seem like a good idea at the time.

I'm not saying Charlie is a great GM, but he did do the Redskins a big solid before he left. Wasn't it Charlie that orchestrated the Sean Gilbert trade with Carolina that landed us two first round draft picks?

my panthers fan friend cheers for the Redskins, but he hates Sean Gilbert with a passion for that trade.

This is a somewhat hard question. Was Charlie mediocre or Turner? Turner was not able to field a winner here or in Oakland. Charlie's teams performed below expectations here and in Houston. Probably both were below average at what they were doing. His Houston resume makes Casserly look like a terrible GM though.

Wow, this is the ultimate hindsight thread... Why not pick up Bill Bellicheck.

Dan Henning failed in his attempts at HC with Atlanta and I think one other place. Pettibone earned his shot and if people feel sorry for Marty and think he deserved more than one year, I don't understand why people don't feel more sympathy for the 'bone who was a good and loyal soldier and served this organization for a decade... before being given one year with an aging and depleted cast. Pettibone deserved better.

JKC chose the GM and fired the coach. Snyder did the same thing with Cass and Norv. It seems to be harder to fire the GM than a coach. My guess is that it's because the gm is more administrative and has more of a day to day relationship with the owner and just deals with them more. Harder to fire your friends. See Cerrato's voodoo relationship today.

you nailed it.

Henning at that time would have been considered hiring a re-tread - like hiring Rich Kotite - that has failed had 2 previous stops. - Pettibone was with this team for actually 2 decades - 1st as a player (FS in the '70's) then as a position coach, then as D-coordinator. Then, as mentioned, gets one year when the team was old and most were thinking about either retirement or the upcoming free agency that will help them get paid.

Desmond Howard was one identified as a top player in that draft and he fit a need at the time.

There was no reason to believe there was anything wrong with Casserly at that time because we were fresh off a couple consecutive playoff years and a Superbowl. - Why would you fire him? Hindsight, we all now know that Bethard and Casserly had ther greatest success when teamed with Gibbs.

There's a thousand draft and FA threads out there. Go post over there.
I'm saying..We all could look back and say, hey look, if we didn't draft blah, blah, we could've drafted Tom Brady. But we did and looking back can get depressing.. I for one am thinking about the draft.

This is a somewhat hard question. Was Charlie mediocre or Turner? Turner was not able to field a winner here or in Oakland. Charlie's teams performed below expectations here and in Houston. Probably both were below average at what they were doing. His Houston resume makes Casserly look like a terrible GM though.

They both suck.

The key thing would have been if Joe Gibbs had stepped down earlier in the offseason in 1993

JKC and CC did not want to hire Petitbone. But it was March when Joe Gibbs retired and nobody else was available

Who was available that offseason? Yes, you guessed it, Bill Parcells

JKC and Casserly would have easily lured in Parcells into DC. I have no doubt JKC would have ponied up the cash to bring in our nemsis of the 80s to continue success into the 1990s

And Bill Parcells was still a pretty damn good head coach in 1993

The other move NOT to make in 1992

Do NOT trade Stan Humphries. Trading him robbed us of a legitimate QB for the 1990s and all we got was a lousy punter named Ed Bunn

The offseason following the 1992 season was a really bad one. We lost two key leaders to free agency in Gary Clark and Martin Mayhew. Both proved that there best seasons came in Washington, but they were leaders of that team and "core Redskins."

Also, Reggie White was thought to be a shoe-in for the Skins. He was all set to sign his contract with the Redskins, when God told him to take the bigger contract Green Bay was offering. I'm sure the Skins would have matched that deal if given the chance.

Furthermore, Wilbur Marshall was traded to Houston for essentially nothing! Marshall was the impact player on our defense from 1990-1992 and really made that defense go. Losing him crushed that defense.

To top it all off, the best head coach in the league (and Gibbs CLEARLY was the best coach in football at that time!) decided rather late in the offseason to retire. It was probably late Feb. or early march, and facilitated a lot of the moves to come. Would Clark have left under Gibbs? NO WAY! Would Marshall have requested a trade? Seriously doubt it!

Archived