Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Carlos Mencia Gets Owned!

MonkFan8

Rogan has some decent bits, more so then Mencia taking the tired and cliched racial angle to his jokes, or everything always being about "beaners." At least Rogan has some varied material or just blurts out stuff that can get a laugh.

Succcess is not always a measure of how good one may be at their artform. If that is the case, then Britney Spears must be a musical genius.

Success is the measure of how good you are at the business side of a particular artform. Also what are you defending Rogan for here? We aren't just talking success... almost no one has ever heard of "the Fear Factor guy" (as most know him) doing comedy. To this day the ONLY bit I've ever seen him do is the YouTube vid where he takes on a heckler.

Joe Rogan is a comedy nobody. His career in comedy has gone no where.

Success is the measure of how good you are at the business side of a particular artform. Also what are you defending Rogan for here? We aren't just talking success... almost no one has ever heard of "the Fear Factor guy" (as most know him) doing comedy. To this day the ONLY bit I've ever seen him do is the YouTube vid where he takes on a heckler.

He's good as the announcer for the UFC too. Comedy, not so much.

Wasnt he in some crappy sitcom back in the day too?

Edit: Also, there are tons and tons of examples of people being very successful at their "artform" while being completely clueless at the business side of things. Dr. Dre comes to mind, Mozart died penniless, John Daly is a hell of a successful golfer, but he's broke as **** and has no endorsements that i know of (though he really should be pitching for Marlboro :) ). Thats just 3 off the top of my head.

Not really defending - just a reply to a defense of Mencia that his success is somewhat correlated to how good of a comedian he may, or may not be. Especially with today's mass marketed entertainment, any average singer with a few dancing moves can be successful: case in point, Britney.

Business and "skill" at an artform are two separate issues. One involves marketing, while another the actual skill in the talent that is being marketed. And in this case, I am not talking about Rogan - he isn't my favorite comedian or anything (though I like him as a UFC announcer), but more so about Mencia, the subject of the thread.

Sorry, but I do not see such marketing success as necessarily correlating to being actually good at one's skill. You can market practically anything that really may not be that great.

Robin Williams is a known joke stealer, but he always apologizes when he's called on it. He blamed alot of it on his drug use in his early years. But he probably is also one of the best improv comics out there. Lewis Black is hilarious. David Cross is good, but personally, he kinda annoys me sometimes. He is an intelligent comedian, and I think he has a problem with comedians who have gotten as far as they can with the "Blue-collar comedy"

Mencia just annoys me. Rogan is funny, but was horrible on The Mans show. Bill Hicks, I wasn't a fan of. He was OK, and his material was good, but his delivery was odd, and I think because audiences didn't respond well to him he blamed them and not his delivery.

He's good as the announcer for the UFC too. Comedy, not so much.

Wasnt he in some crappy sitcom back in the day too?

That was News Radio - and it was pretty good, especially Phil Hartman's character.

We can't have a stand-up thread with out mentioning my all-time favorite:

mitch_hedberg_remix.jpg

Oh yeah, Mencia sucks.... so does Dane Cook.

That was News Radio - and it was pretty good, especially Phil Hartman's character.

We can't have a stand-up thread with out mentioning my all-time favorite:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/jimmybop/Random/mitch_hedberg_remix.jpg[/img]

Oh yeah, Mencia sucks.... so does Dane Cook.

Yes Hedberg was AWESOME. I'm glad I got to see him live w/Lewis Black and Dave Atell. Phil Hartman was awesome too. But, if we are honoring Hedberg, we should also honor

p12772geq8p.jpg

and

Album_no_respect.jpg

RIP

David Cross is good, but personally, he kinda annoys me sometimes. He is an intelligent comedian, and I think he has a problem with comedians who have gotten as far as they can with the "Blue-collar comedy"

His problem is that the "Larry the Cable Guy" act isn't honest and shoots for the easy laugh. It's all an act and doesn't come from the heart. He's the Dennis Leary of the Blue Collar gang.

His problem is that the "Larry the Cable Guy" act isn't honest and shoots for the easy laugh. It's all an act and doesn't come from the heart. He's the Dennis Leary of the Blue Collar gang.

yeah, but him and Leary are still hilarious. And isn't that the point? ;)

Leary has only been "funny" one time in his life and it was when he was ripping off Bill Hicks material in the No Cure for Cancer show. There's a reason he hasn't put out anything even resembling funny since......because Hicks is dead. And personally, I always find more humor in something when it's heartfelt and honest.

Leary has only been "funny" one time in his life and it was when he was ripping off Bill Hicks material in the No Cure for Cancer show. There's a reason he hasn't put out anything even resembling funny since......because Hicks is dead. And personally, I always find more humor in something when it's heartfelt and honest.

I gotta agree w/ Mufumonk here. Leary hasn't done much at all since that one special (although he was quite funny the red sox booth this past year in a segment that made it onto youtube).

Check here for David Cross's hilarious letter to Larry the Cable Guy.

Check here if you want to see what Larry the Cable Guy actually sounds like.

I've heard alot of new stuff from Leary that I found funny. But to each his own. Personally, to me Hicks was just OK. As I said, delivery is everything, and I don't feel Hicks had it. Great material, not so great delivery. Maybe he should have stuck to writing?

Also meant to point out that I don't find anything that Larry the Cable Guy has done funny. Never have. When he would call in to 98 Rock in the mornings I cringed and would often change the station till he was gone.

Also meant to point out that I don't find anything that Larry the Cable Guy has done funny. Never have. When he would call in to 98 Rock in the mornings I cringed and would often change the station till he was gone.

:laugh: see i do the same thing with Hicks on the comedy station I listen to now. I try and listen, because it is great material, but, I just can't take him for more then 10 seconds.

I gotta agree w/ Mufumonk here. Leary hasn't done much at all since that one special (although he was quite funny the red sox booth this past year in a segment that made it onto youtube).

Check here for David Cross's hilarious letter to Larry the Cable Guy.

Check here if you want to see what Larry the Cable Guy actually sounds like.

:yikes: You guys need to watch Rescue Me. Leary is the writer, and it is far and away the funniest show on TV.

:laugh: see i do the same thing with Hicks on the comedy station I listen to now. I try and listen, because it is great material, but, I just can't take him for more then 10 seconds.

Hicks style wasn't for everyone. But it came from the heart. He was passionate about his work and he did it with integrity. And as angry as he came across there was always a silver lining in his material. Leary on the other hand is a complete hack. Not only did he steal Hicks material but he stole the entire persona. But it was all style and no substance. Prior to "No Cure for Cancer" Leary was a mild-mannered turtle neck sweater wearing *****. If he had any balls at all he would have ripped off material that wasn't as safe as the stuff he did steal. I remember one interview in response to them asking why he had quit smoking Bill responded: "I wanted to see if Leary would quit too".

Hicks style wasn't for everyone. But it came from the heart. He was passionate about his work and he did it with integrity. And as angry as he came across there was always a silver lining in his material. Leary on the other hand is a complete hack. Not only did he steal Hicks material but he stole the entire persona. But it was all style and no substance. Prior to "No Cure for Cancer" Leary was a mild-mannered turtle neck sweater wearing *****. If he had any balls at all he would have ripped off material that wasn't as safe as the stuff he did steal. I remember one interview in response to them asking why he had quit smoking Bill responded: "I wanted to see if Leary would quit too".

:laugh: He's just bitter that Leary got the popularity that he didn't. I never saw Leary before No Cure for Cancer, so I don't know what he was like, but his new stuff now, is funny as well, and obviously he's not stealing from Hicks ;).

Archived