Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Jamaal Anderson scouting report - TSN

Yomar The Nifty

TSN finally put up a scouting report on Jamaal Anderson...they also update Gaines Adams and the rest of the DEs... (they have the Skins drafting Branch at #6, Adams goes at #5, Anderson goes at #8 and Okoye goes at #13...)

Copyright sensitive summary of what they say:

Overall Grade: 8.1 (Adams 8.2, Branch 8.1, Okoye 8.4)

NFL Comparison: Michael Strahan (Adams: Jason Taylor; Branch: Ted Washington; Okoye: Rod Coleman)

Against the run: Strong and aggressive at point of attack with good leverage and uses hands well to take on blockers but sometimes loses focus Grade: 8.0 (Adams 7.0, Branch 9.0, Okoye 8.5)

Pass rush: Powerful bullrush that can drive lineman back into QB. Has good variety of quick moves to outside and inside. Lacks speed rusher explosion to threaten corner. Grade: 8.5 (Adams 8.5, Branch 6.5, Okoye 8.4)

Initial quickness: Biggest weakness; consistently last lineman moving at the snap. Recovers by getting to full speed very quickly and is quick and agile once he gets going. A concern. Grade: 5.5 (Adams 8.5, Branch 6.5, Okoye 8.5)

Run/pass recognition: Excels at reading the play and uses athleticism and technique to finish them - both run and pass. Grade: 8.5 (Adams 8.5, Branch 8.0, Okoye 6.0)

Pursuit/tackling: Very quick with surprising speed to chase plays down for his size. A great tackler with good knee bend and explosion. Grade: 8.5 (Adams 8.5, Branch 8.0, Okoye 8.5)

Synopsis: Could have improved as a senior, but still a top prospect in a weak class. He has all the tools but needs time to develop.

I am honestly starting to believe more and more that signing Freeney and drafting Branch will completely fix our D-line. I know there are other holes, and I have been advocating brining in Clements. However, if the Skins signed Freeney and drafted Branch, I wouldn't care if nothing else was done to the defense, except for acquiring more depth. If you have a monstrous D-line, the rest of the defense will perform better. The games are fought and won in the trenches.

Thanks. Just so happens that I had a subscription that I haven't been using. :mad:

I don't see how we could go wrong or how anyone could be upset if we picked either Branch, Adams or Anderson.

My only concern would be that, whoever we pick might end up riding the pine for a while until Kirk, Gregg or whoever makes the dicission to play him.

The only player that we most likely could say that he would definitely get on the field right away would be Calvin Johnson.

The TSN WarRoom is the ****. I love it.

Jamaal Anderson... idunno... I say branch or trade down.

Let me think about posting, I was contacted once by another scouting site when I posted direct text...

Maybe I should go get drunk, then I'll definately post it. I just don't want to lose my subscription.

Strange, Sporting News has Okoye ranked higher than Branch. They rate Okoye's pass rushing ability at a 8.5 and Branch's at a 6.5.

Something else that I thought was interesting was the fact that at 6'5 330lbs, Branch ran a faster 40 time than the much smaller Okoye who is 6'2 287lbs.

Strange, Sporting News has Okoye ranked higher than Branch. They rate Okoye's pass rushing ability at a 8.5 and Branch's at a 6.5.

Something else that I thought was interesting was the fact that at 6'5 330lbs, Branch ran a faster 40 time than the much smaller Okoye who is 6'2 287lbs.

Okoye's time will be much different this time, those times are usually from either the HS combine or unnoficial times, all real though.

Branch is not a pass rusher, and Okoye is. Branch is a dominating, mean NT. We need one. That is it, Okoye is ranked mostly on potential than anything else there. Dude is 19 years old.

Okoye's time will be much different this time, those times are usually from either the HS combine or unnoficial times, all real though.

Branch is not a pass rusher, and Okoye is. Branch is a dominating, mean NT. We need one. That is it, Okoye is ranked mostly on potential than anything else there. Dude is 19 years old.

I don't know enough about that stuff to agree or disagree with your first statement. But I definitely agree with your second statement. Branch is definitely the type of player thay we need at the DT position. Where as Okoye would be more of a project and probably fun as hell to watch develop. He is also one hell of an interesting story to say the least.

we won't be able to get dwight freenye. The colts will tag him and I don't think we will be able to afford him. Plus he is getting old and is just looking for one more huge pay day. I don't think its a great idea to get him. I would rather go for youth.

Geez!...Too many broken records here.....Everytime we hear about a great player in FA someone always says that he is too old and we cant afford him and then they sign elsewhere for less than we could imagine and play at near HOF level for years to come.

Geez!...Too many broken records here.....Everytime we hear about a great player in FA someone always says that he is too old and we cant afford him and then they sign elsewhere for less than we could imagine and play at near HOF level for years to come.

regardless of if he is too old or not, is it worth signing another high priced contract along the d-line? Carter and Griffin already make a bunch. Branch's contract will have a high bonus at #6, but it won't cost as much salary wise. Obviously goes for any draft pick in the top 10, you get out of that, and those contracts become very manageable.

Otherwise, Carter is obviously not as good as Freeney, but they are both in similar styles of play, what we need is a younger healthier Daniels at the other end position (Anderson) or a bigger stronger younger Griffin (Branch) at DT. I guarantee that Golston willd evelop into a better starter if Branch is drafted. Eventually Branch and Golston can become solid starters for this team as well down the road.

Freeney will be worse againts the run than Carter or Daneils. And at his pricetag, no way.

Took the words from my mouth. If we didn't sign Carter last season, I'd be all for it. But we can't have 2 pure pass rushers at DE, because then teams will be running all over us on counters and sweeps. Like someone said before, we could use a younger version of Daniels, or a bigger version of Griffin. In all honesty, who we draft will depend on who we're able sign in FA.

Isn't he more of a LE though? I think we need to get Andre Carter a DT that consistently stops him from being double teamed, so he can function.

Thats the reason I think a lot forum posters, myself included, prefer Anderson to Adams. Anderson seems to be more suited to playing LE. His run stopping ability seems to be superior to Adams based on their college performances. Adams seems to have the edge in passing rushing ability but Anderson is a far better pass rusher than Adams is a run stopper.

Well unless Greg Williams lied last year when he said Freeney doesnt fit the system here and would be pursued this madden dream is DOA.

And this is the one year where we may not be able to afford some of the free agents. We have maybe 4 to 5 milion in cap space and still have to address the dockery situation while there are 6 teams in the 30 to 39 milion in cap space range.

Word from the Indy local sports is they believe the Colts will tag Freeney but lose DC native Cato June.

Yeah some may not spend the money but the with us facing a dozen teams with quadruple the current cap space its very doubtful.

Man all this Freeney talk is hilarious!!!! Do most fans just post ideas on players we can get based off there name? Does anyone else even know of any other DEs that may out in FA that cost much less and possibly actually fit into our system? Freeney is not coming here, and he shouldn't! Its a nightmare in hell!

Either draft a DE or sign a lesser priced FA and work him into the system. We don't always have to sign the name FA's! Thats how we know we don't have a GM, because our team does exactly what our fans think we should do. We don't know squat abou how to build a football team, so why try? If your gonna try, try to think outside the box, like a few posters on this site do.

Archived