Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI - Teams who may break Super Bowl drought next year

HapHaszard

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/don_banks/02/09/top.five/index.html

For the first time in seven years, the Vince Lombardi Trophy resides today in the nation's heartland, where the Indianapolis Colts call home. It took the Colts 23 years to bring a Super Bowl championship to their relocated home, but less than a week after their coronation, there are already 31 other NFL teams plotting to dethrone them.

Though the NFL offseason has just begun, here are five teams we think are well positioned to follow Indianapolis' lead and win their first Super Bowl title next February.

• San Diego

click on the link above for the rest of the article

Tennesee? come on, Vince Young played well his rookie year I'll give him that. But he played well with his legs, I recall Mike Vick having a sweet Rookie year including an even more impressive Game winning OT TD run than Youngs, and look where Mike is now. It's hard to win a Super Bowl without a competent passing game.

Tennesee? come on, Vince Young played well his rookie year I'll give him that. But he played well with his legs, I recall Mike Vick having a sweet Rookie year including an even more impressive Game winning OT TD run than Youngs, and look where Mike is now. It's hard to win a Super Bowl without a competent passing game.

I think Vince is about 50 times the passer Vick is though...he has a weird motion but if he has time to develop I think he will be one of the better mobile passers.

The Titans just kept improving on both sides of the ball. If they get a receiver in the draft/FA, they could improve evne more. As it is, they don't have a bad group with Givens, Bennett, and Brandon Jones, along with good reserves in Bobby Wade and Tyrone Calico. On defense, they have a great young team. The only thing I could see bad happening to them is their young defense keeps screwing up like how San Diego's did.

San Diego -- By virtue of my now oft-mentioned "theory of unfinished business,'' which helped me predict last May that the Colts had a Super Bowl ring in their future, the Chargers are next up to get the big confetti shower. For two years in a row, the team with the best record in the NFL has had a bitter disappointment in the playoffs and then came back and won the Super Bowl the following year.

....uh, but neither of those teams lost both coordinators at the same time and came back and did that.

The Titans just kept improving on both sides of the ball. If they get a receiver in the draft/FA, they could improve evne more. As it is, they don't have a bad group with Givens, Bennett, and Brandon Jones, along with good reserves in Bobby Wade and Tyrone Calico. On defense, they have a great young team. The only thing I could see bad happening to them is their young defense keeps screwing up like how San Diego's did.

Good post, but Calico was cut before the Season.

....uh, but neither of those teams lost both coordinators at the same time and came back and did that.

I was thinking the same thing about San Diego. I also think the Titan's and Bengal's aren't as close as Bank's thinks.

The Eagles and Saints seem reasonable to me though.

TheFan

Saints were not for real. I still think that. Eagles have as good a shot as anyone, and I think if the Titans keep their momentum up they could wind up sneaking the playoffs and doing some AFC damage with at least 1 upset.

I agree about the Saints. I believe they won't even make the playoffs next year. As to Titans, looks like Houston is finally dumping Carr, so they might even be good this year, and Tenn also has to play colts and Jax 2x. Tough division to compete in, much less WIN outright. No way do Titans have a team that can get to the SB as a wildcard.

I agree about the Saints. I believe they won't even make the playoffs next year. As to Titans, looks like Houston is finally dumping Carr, so they might even be good this year, and Tenn also has to play colts and Jax 2x. Tough division to compete in, much less WIN outright. No way do Titans have a team that can get to the SB as a wildcard.

I have the same feeling about the Saints - something tells me they will come back to earth this year with an 8 or 9 win season.

Saints were not for real. I still think that. Eagles have as good a shot as anyone, and I think if the Titans keep their momentum up they could wind up sneaking the playoffs and doing some AFC damage with at least 1 upset.
I agree about the Saints. I believe they won't even make the playoffs next year.
I have the same feeling about the Saints - something tells me they will come back to earth this year with an 8 or 9 win season.

I'm just curious as to why you guys feel this way. The offense will only improve with the 3 rookie starters getting another year under their belts (and Deuce getting healthier), the D was a respectable 11th in the NFL, and will be better if they address CB and LB this offseason. Sure they will play a first place schedule next year, but it will probably end up being easier than this year's schedule where they played the NFC East and AFC North. They are in a rather weak NFC South, and this year they play NFC West (weaker than NFC East) and the AFC South (tie with AFC North).

I'm just curious as to why you guys feel this way. The offense will only improve with the 3 rookie starters getting another year under their belts (and Deuce getting healthier), the D was a respectable 11th in the NFL, and will be better if they address CB and LB this offseason. Sure they will play a first place schedule next year, but it will probably end up being easier than this year's schedule where they played the NFC East and AFC North. They are in a rather weak NFC South, and this year they play NFC West (weaker than NFC East) and the AFC South (tie with AFC North).

I think their offense will only get better, but I also think their defense overachieved this year. We'll see. It's always hard to tell what's going to happen in year two after a new team emerges as contenders.

Which is enough to get them to the playoffs in the NFC. ;)

I expect the Saints to do well next season. The continuity of the same QB, coach and other key figures will only help things. Brees is very solid, and I expect Bush to show some improvement.

Yeah right on the chargers. When was the last time a team lost their Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator, Defensive Coordinator, Tight Ends Coach, and Quarterbacks Coach WON the superbowl the next season? I don't care if they have LT, it takes more than a season to recover from losing that many good coaches.

Archived