Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Team report 2/4/

Skinsinparadise

Paul Woody

Richmond Times-Dispatch

WHAT'S SUPER: The running game is in good hands with RBs Clinton Portis, who is returning from shoulder surgery, and Ladell Betts. Portis is a threat to score every time he touches the ball, and Betts could put up 1,300 yards if he were a full-time player. Jon Jansen and Chris Samuels give the team a pair of bookend tackles. They don't give up many sacks, and both are solid in the running game. WR Santana Moss uses his explosiveness and toughness to compensate for his 5-10 frame, and TE Chris Cooley finds open spots and gets yards after the catch.

WHAT'S NOT SUPER: The defense must get more production from the tackles. Cornelius Griffin struggled in 2006, and Kedric Golston, who showed potential as a rookie, likely isn't ready to be a big factor. CB Carlos Rogers either gave too much cushion or was beaten while playing tight coverage. A healthy Shawn Springs eliminates some problems. The safeties have issues: Age might have caught SS Troy Vincent, and FS Sean Taylor needs to become a playmaker, not a liability. GOT A SHOT? No. The Redskins could be competitive, but winning the division or sneaking in as a wild card is a lot to expect. QB Jason Campbell showed promise but still is fairly raw, and Moss and Cooley are about all the team has for him to throw to. On defense, there are too many holes to fill.

Paul Woody

Richmond Times-Dispatch

GOT A SHOT? No. The Redskins could be competitive, but winning the division or sneaking in as a wild card is a lot to expect. QB Jason Campbell showed promise but still is fairly raw, and Moss and Cooley are about all the team has for him to throw to. On defense, there are too many holes to fill.

Good keep the expectations low - and I think he is underrating ARE.

I just cant see a Joe Gibbs team doing badly 2 years in a row, same players or not

The offense looks set to be top 10 in the NFL

HOLES on Defense...theres 11 guys on every defense, were not playing with 8

one off the bad is Rocky Mac fills in, SS and Carlos and frankly...most the guys on our D held it down in 04 and all the way to the playoffs in 05, i still have faith in them

The whole Defensive scheme needs to be fixed and become more aggressive....In 04...talented or not....the players were flying around. I think our D would look just fine in an aggressive scheme like 04.

also...ST is our X factor on Defense, he has always been a play maker and he will re-emerge in 07

I actually expect the O to be well above average next year. I do think there will be a lull when people figure Jason out a little bit, but I don't think it will be that bad. I think the combo of a strong line, strong running game, an elite receiver, a good/great te, and complimentary receivers is actually quite a lot in the arsenal. Just like last year, it's all about the qb. If Jason steps up, we soar and if he doesn't we crash and burn. The D on the other hand, I have serious worries about ranging from is there an anti-Williams Mutiny going on, to have they figured him out to... has the D just gotten too old and talent thin.

That's a good assessment, though let's not forget that this team did make a good run in 2005. Two years older and still suffering from chemistry issues, however, I'm not sure the team can return to late 2005 form.

As we've seen, though, the NFL can change quickly and frankly, unlike other bottom ten teams like the Browns, Texans, and Lions, we actually do have a lot of the pieces in place to be successful if things work out. That's at least something to keep in mind.

As we've seen, though, the NFL can change quickly and frankly, unlike other bottom ten teams like the Browns, Texans, and Lions, we actually do have a lot of the pieces in place to be successful if things work out. That's at least something to keep in mind.

Sure the NFL can change quickly, but look at the teams that benefit from those changes. They make good use of draft picks and they have dynamic and risktaking coaches that prepare their teams thoroughly and implement effective gameplans.

The redskins are afraid to use the draft because they doubt their confidence in player selection. This lack of confidence, this football impotence, if you will, is equally evident during games where you watch Gibbs make poor decisions, refuse to take risks, and waste timeouts. As a result, the team looks as lost as its coaches who don't have any answers or effective adjustments.

Until these things change, next year won't be any different than last year.

The consensus seems to be that this is a fair assessment. I appreciate the absence of thoughtless homerism, but suggesting that sneaking in as a wild card is "a lot to expect" seems to me excessively pessimistic.

More specifically, does everyone really think that Cornelius Griffin "struggled" while Jansen is still a "bookend" tackle at the top of his game? Griffin wasn't a monster, like last year, but I wouldn't say he struggled when he was in, and I think (unfortunately) Jansen had a significantly down year, and was a lot closer to struggling than Griffin.

The media was pretty down on us after Gibbs' first year, 6-10, we weren't taken seriously the next year and made the playoffs. After that good year we were considered Super Bowl contenders. Now, we are being written off again -- good omen i think and on par for the course from a media stand point. They run from one extreme to another and the off season is likely going to be rough. If we sign some big players it will be here we go again and they will assume that the players will likely be busts. And if we don't -- they will say well its the same team from last year and last year we were 5-11. So I think they are in a no win situation with the media -- and maybe that's a good thing. I felt last year the team approached the season with a level of ****iness and lost some of their edge in the process. This time hopefully they are pissed off and ready to show people.

I just saw a season where the Saints were the 2nd worst team in the league to almost going to the Super Bowl. All we really need is our defense to go back to top 10 status. We had a horrible season because we couldnt stop anyone. If we get a decent middle lb, cb and draft a stub defensive linemen. We are right there I may be a homer but I know our defense let us down. We lost our defensive backfield that was our stength on defense

Archived