Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins "Super" Superbowl Running Back

csnow03

Yes, I also knew this! And the Redskins were on the other end of Marcus Allen's record breaking day.

"and thank you so much for bringing up such a painful subject. While you're at it, why don't you give me a nice paper cut and pour lemon juice on it?"

;)

Timmy Smith has to be the all-time one-hit wonder of sports. He played only one more year with the Skins after that Super Bowl explosion against the Denver Broncos. And, I didn't remember this, he ended up with the Cowboys, appearing in one game in 1990 before retiring.

He reappeared on radar screens on September 30, 2005, when he was popped trying to sell ½ kilo of cocaine to a DEA undercover agent. Ironically enough, in Denver. He was tried and sentenced to 2 1/2 years in 2006.

Interesting Info.

Who Knew? The top three single-game Super Bowl totals in rushing yardage were Timmy Smith (Washington, 204), Marcus Allen (Los Angeles Raiders, 191) and John Riggins (Washington, 166).

:logo:

Luckily, I was aware of all three, fortunately, I watched all three performances..Timmie Smith was a One (1) game "wonder"!!, Allen and Riggins are legends in their own times.

I'm pretty sure Smith came into the NFL already pretty banged up. That was why he was drafted in a later round and could not stay in the league for very long, some nagging injuries. I think he also tried to hold out on us after the super bowl so we quickly lost interest. Then he went to Dallas where I assume the injuries got to him and he had to quit.

What I find more interesting is the fact that Riggins was the first NFC/NFL player to rush for over 100 yards in a Super Bowl. Considering the fact that it was SB XVII, I think it's pretty remarkable.

Timmy's record will probably be broken one day, but it has stood for quite some time now.

Hail,

H

Timmy Smith has to be the all-time one-hit wonder of sports. He played only one more year with the Skins after that Super Bowl explosion against the Denver Broncos. And, I didn't remember this, he ended up with the Cowboys, appearing in one game in 1990 before retiring.

He reappeared on radar screens on September 30, 2005, when he was popped trying to sell ½ kilo of cocaine to a DEA undercover agent. Ironically enough, in Denver. He was tried and sentenced to 2 1/2 years in 2006.

So, he's probably still in jail being that it is now 2007.

Bummer. He really "smoked" the Dolphins, didn't he? :laugh:

Uh, I've known that for some time....

Makes you wonder why no Hogs are in the HoF....wait...no it doesn't - the voters are complete biased idiots....nevermind.

There were like three different sets of hogs, I think that Jacoby and Bostic were the only two player to partcipate in all three Superbowl victories and Mckenzie competed in two.

There were like three different sets of hogs, I think that Jacoby and Bostic were the only two player to partcipate in all three Superbowl victories and Mckenzie competed in two.

Guess I could look this up, but I think Grimm was there for all three. Jacoby I think had been replaced by Lachey before SB XXVI, but he might have played guard for the team that year.

Jacoby and Grimm should definitely be in the HOF.

EDIT: You're right riggoraider - Grimm only played in SB XVII and XVIII. I thought he was around longer than that.

Jacoby is listed as playing right tackle for the SB XXVI team.

http://www.superbowl.com/history/recaps

Hail,

H

Starting lineups for all the Skins SB's from LT to RT:

17- Jacoby, Grimm, Bostic, F. Dean, Starke

18- Jacoby, Grimm, Bostic, May, Starke

22- Jacoby, McKenzie, Bostic, Theilman, May (Grimm was injured I think and was a backup)

26- Lachey, McKenzie, Bostic, Schlereth, Jacoby (Grimm was relagated to backup)

So actually there were 4 different sets in 4 SB's, but you are right, Jacoby and Bostic were the only ones to start all 4, and Bostic only at the same position as Jacoby moved to RT in his later years.

Starting lineups for all the Skins SB's from LT to RT:

17- Jacoby, Grimm, Bostic, F. Dean, Starke

18- Jacoby, Grimm, Bostic, May, Starke

22- Jacoby, McKenzie, Bostic, Theilman, May (Grimm was injured I think and was a backup)

26- Lachey, McKenzie, Bostic, Schlereth, Jacoby (Grimm was relagated to backup)

So actually there were 4 different sets in 4 SB's, but you are right, Jacoby and Bostic were the only ones to start all 4, and Bostic only at the same position as Jacoby moved to RT in his later years.

Makes you wonder how many centers have three SB rings??? I'll add Bostic to my group of Hogs that should be in the HOF.

Hail,

H

I'm pretty sure Smith came into the NFL already pretty banged up. That was why he was drafted in a later round and could not stay in the league for very long, some nagging injuries. I think he also tried to hold out on us after the super bowl so we quickly lost interest. Then he went to Dallas where I assume the injuries got to him and he had to quit.

Timmy smith never had injury issues and never missed a game due to injury. He was considered to have a bad additude. He had 1 good game, it just happen to be in the Super Bowl (19 years ago today, BTW).

Gibbs thought he was Lazy in training camp and cut him after the 1988 season. Since Gibbs marked him as Lazy, no team picked him up until years later when the cowboys took a chance on him. Didn't last long.

In a way, he was the luckest guy in the world. He had 1 great game in his life. It just happened to be in the super bowl, so it will always be rememebered

Timmy smith never had injury issues and never missed a game due to injury. He was considered to have a bad additude. He had 1 good game, it just happen to be in the Super Bowl (19 years ago today, BTW).

Gibbs thought he was Lazy in training camp and cut him after the 1988 season. Since Gibbs marked him as Lazy, no team picked him up until years later when the cowboys took a chance on him. Didn't last long.

In a way, he was the luckest guy in the world. He had 1 great game in his life. It just happened to be in the super bowl, so it will always be rememebered

he was considered first or second round material until he had knee problems in college. He held out after the SB and got fat and lazy. That didn't help his knees any. He tried a comback with Dallass in 1990, but didn't make it.

Archived