Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Someone Tried to Steal My Car

GoCommiesGo

I went out to go to the grocery store this morning and I find that someone has taken a large rock and busted out a window and torn apart my steering column.

my window

f_P1000095i_8572m_9d811d5.jpg

my steering column

f_P1000100i_8572m_020261d.jpg

Soooo, has anyone here ever had this happen to them before? And if so does anyone have any clue as to how much it costs to replace the ignition switch and steering column?

I'm trying to guesstimate how much its going to run for the repair.

Thanks ahead of time.

I went out to go to the grocery store this morning and I find that someone has taken a large rock and busted out a window and torn apart my steering column.

Thanks ahead of time.

cant help you with that part, and that truly sucks man... The one thing you dont do is **** with a mans car...someone must die for that ****! :mad: :logo:

cant help you with that part, and that truly sucks man... The one thing you dont do is **** with a mans car...someone must die for that ****! :mad: :logo:

If it is possible to find this person I would gladly cut their balls off. But since I doubt that will happen I'm trying to get ready for the worse and expect a ridiculous repair bill.

that sucks. you never think stuff like that is gonna happen when you run into the grocery store. will your insurance cover that?

Yeap, 500 dollar deductible. What I'm worried about is now that we have rolled over to 07 the value has dropped a large percentage according to Kellys Bule Book.

I'm just worried that depending on the cost that my baby is gonna get totalled.

My roommate got his car stolen right in front of our house...he spent the day looking around the area for it, and saw these two guys pull up @ a convienance store with it (he was on his bike). When they went inside, he locked his bike on a lamppost, and re-stole his car! Pretty cool.

-just thought i'd contribute that story :-/ sorry for your luck.

my window

f_P1000095i_8572m_9d811d5.jpg

my steering column

f_P1000100i_8572m_020261d.jpg

Soooo, has anyone here ever had this happen to them before? And if so does anyone have any clue as to how much it costs to replace the ignition switch and steering column?

I'm trying to guesstimate how much its going to run for the repair.

Thanks ahead of time.

where do you live? i could tell you exactly what to do if you're near me.

This is far from something that would cause your car to be totaled. This would fall under your comprehensive coverage which covers things such as theft, fire, glass, and vandalism among other things. A lot of people carry a lower deductible on comprehensive than they do on collision coverage since the premium is usually much lower and they want things covered such as windshields. Typically you don't save much by going with a higher deductible on the comprehensive coverage and the rates aren't based on driver age, experience etc. And lastly...an insurance WILL NOT raise your rates for a comprehensive claim. It is expressly prohibited by state insurance laws.

This is far from something that would cause your car to be totaled. This would fall under your comprehensive coverage which covers things such as theft, fire, glass, and vandalism among other things. A lot of people carry a lower deductible on comprehensive than they do on collision coverage since the premium is usually much lower and they want things covered such as windshields. Typically you don't save much by going with a higher deductible on the comprehensive coverage and the rates aren't based on driver age, experience etc. And lastly...an insurance WILL NOT raise your rates for a comprehensive claim. It is expressly prohibited by state insurance laws.

our aerostar just got a dent in the bumper and was considered totalled.

I'm worried about the cost vs. the value. Normally it wouldn't give way to being totalled but whoever did this malled the ignition system. And the car dropped about 1500 dollars in value across the board because of the new year.

My roommate got his car stolen right in front of our house...he spent the day looking around the area for it, and saw these two guys pull up @ a convienance store with it (he was on his bike). When they went inside, he locked his bike on a lamppost, and re-stole his car! Pretty cool.

-just thought i'd contribute that story :-/ sorry for your luck.

I have another stolen car story.

An ex-girlfriend of mine had her car stolen in front of our house. It was a convertable and they just cut a hole in the top.

We made a report and a couple days later it was found. The cops saw someone driving it in a bad part of town, and chased him a little ways. He pulled over and started off on foot, but they caught him.

Now get this, as they were chasing him, his buddies that lived nearby saw this happen. And as the cops were running off after the suspect, his buddies took off in the car. They stole it again. :laugh: What idiots.

They ended up finding the car a couple blocks away.

that sucks man. seems like grocery stores are the place for stealing cars.

my parents were car jacked on a sunday afternoon at the grocery store. my dad pulled to the curb and got out to help my mom with the bags when some guy jumped in the front seat. my dad went around to the passenger side and said hey u got the wrong car man and the guy pulled out a huge hunting knife and sped off with all the food flying out of the back. they found the car like 6 months later.

My dad had his car stolen a few years ago, and it looked a lot like that. He had it parked at New Carrolton and went to New York for three days, and when he came back it was gone with glass on the ground. The security guard didn't believe him at first and drove him all around the garage, but my dad was like - hello? there's glass on the ground! I'm pretty sure my car was stolen.

Anyways, it was an '84 Oldsmoblie that didn't run all that well - my dad was like the only person that could start the car - so the next day later it was found abandoned on 95, and there were groceries in the trunk. The fools who stole the car went shopping and it broke down on them ... I can just imagine them standing on the side of I-95 pissed off that they stole such a crappy car. :laugh:

We were actually happy when the insurance company told us it was totaled.

It will probably cost you aroud $250-300 to repair the column. The glass shouldn't be too expensive. But, everything is relative to how much internal damge to the column was caused. Look around for someone, in the yellow pages, that rebuilds steering columns and check with them on price. They should be able to give you a rough estimate over the phone. You may also want to check the junkyards. It may be cheaper to replace the column and have the ignition switch replaced or re-keyed.

Archived