Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TOMLIN OR GRIMM? WHO THE HELL KNOWS? (Merged, Updated & Re-Titled)

twenty-eight

Steelers choose Vikes' Tomlin to succeed Cowher

Posted: Saturday January 20, 2007 1:57PM;

Updated: Saturday January 20, 2007 2:13PM

Mike Tomlin, defensive coordinator for the Minnesota Vikings, has been chosen as the Pittsburgh Steelers' new head coach, SI.com has learned.

The official announcement will come either later Saturday or on Sunday.

Tomlin, 34, impressed the Steelers during the interview process with his organization skills, intelligence and grasp of the game, according to a source familiar with the coaching search.

He succeeds Bill Cowher, who resigned Jan. 5 after 15 seasons as the Steelers' coach.

Tomlin beat out Russ Grimm, 47, a Steelers assistant for six seasons and their assistant head coach for three, who had been considered the front-runner. The other finalist for the job was Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera.

Before joining the Vikings a year ago, Tomlin had spent five years as a defensive coach with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Before that, he was a college assistant at Cincinnati, Arkansas State, Memphis and Virginia Military Institute.

Tomlin will become only the third Steelers head coach in 38 years and the NFL's sixth African-American head coach.

1.gift1_0120_tomlin_getty.jpg

Under Mike Tomlin, the Vikings ranked No. 1 against the rush this season -- but were tied with the Bengals for last against the pass.

Getty Images

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/01/20/steelers.coach/

ESPN news just said the report is not true. Tomlin says he hasn't talked to Steelers today, and John Clayton says Steelers will not make announcement this weekend. It might just mean that the Steelers don't want to take news away from championship weekend. Rooney wouldn't do that to the league. At least, I hope he wouldn't.

ESPN news just said the report is not true. Tomlin says he hasn't talked to Steelers today, and John Clayton says Steelers will not make announcement this weekend. It might just mean that the Steelers don't want to take news away from championship weekend. Rooney wouldn't do that to the league. At least, I hope he wouldn't.

Beat me to it.

because of his own Rooney rule, Dan Rooney put himself in a position where he almost had to hire a minority... Not saying Tomlin or Rivera aren't qualified, more Grimm had the deck stacked against him

I was thinking this same thing. This hire seems to be more about promoting the diversity that Dan Rooney champions than hiring the best fit. It would make perfect sense to promote someone from within the previous staff if all things were equal between the different candidates, but in this case it seems that diversity pushed the decision in the direction of Tomlin.

Maybe they just werent equal candidates though. I guess Tomlin just interviewed better than Grimm, a coach the Rooneys knew inside out from his previous six years under Bill Cowher.

POSTED 4:21 p.m. EST, January 20, 2007

TOMLIN SAYS HE HASN'T BEEN OFFERED JOB

It's good to know we're not the only ones who screw things up from time to time.

Regarding Michael Silver's report that he Steelers will hire Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin to be the team's next head coach, there are now reports that Tomlin hasn't been hired.

And the reports come from Tomlin himself.

"It is untrue," Tomlin told ESPN's Chris Mortensen. "I have no idea where it's coming from. I have not talked to the Rooneys today."

Of course, there's a chance Silver is right, and that the Rooneys simply haven't told Tomlin yet that it's a done deal.

Regardless, it's not a done deal yet. But that doesn't mean it won't be.

You know who would though, Al Davis. He'll make his announcement Superbowl week...:whoknows:

Well if this is true than Grimm should be the next coach of the Raiders. The steelers philosophy will be the quickest way for that team to return to being respectable. With already having a good defense and a chance to grab a QB, the Raiders can be a pretty good job considering Grimm can coach up the offensive line and get some more depth in the draft. Handing the ball to Jordan behind an improved line and continuing to build that defense could have the Raiders at .500 believe it or not.

I would hope that Grimm would NOT go to the Raiders. Nobody has a chance to succeed there, nobody.

I'd love to see Grimm get the Steelers HC job or come back here in some capacity to act as the future HC or OC once Gibbs retires. He would have been an excellent choice last year over Saunders in retrospect. Power run game baby!

Sportingnews article

Steelers say coaching search not done

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=169657

PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Steelers will wait until at least Monday to announce their new coach, and might interview Chicago defensive coordinator Ron Rivera that day for a second time if the Bears lose the NFC championship game.

The Steelers declined Saturday to confirm they have chosen a coach to replace Bill Cowher, who resigned less than a year after leading the team to its first Super Bowl victory in 26 years.

Since Cowher stepped down Jan. 5, the Steelers have twice interviewed assistant head coach Russ Grimm and Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin but cannot talk again with Rivera, their third finalist, until the Bears' season has ended.

Watching the UNC/GT game on ESPN, they broke in with their Sportcenter break and said that Mort is reporting that Tomlin is the next Steeler coach and the official announcement will be made in a couple of days.

The story has already been updated on ESPN.com as well.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2732197

It also mentions the fact that if the Bears lose this weekend... they may bring in Rivera for a last-second interview. Why else would they wait right?

Archived