Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TOMLIN OR GRIMM? WHO THE HELL KNOWS? (Merged, Updated & Re-Titled)

twenty-eight

Despite reports, Steelers deny they've decided on coach

Jan. 20, 2007

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Steelers will wait until at least Monday to announce their new coach, and might interview Chicago defensive coordinator Ron Rivera that day for a second time if the Bears lose the NFC Championship Game.

The Steelers declined Saturday to confirm they have chosen a coach to replace Bill Cowher, who resigned less than a year after leading the team to its first Super Bowl victory in 26 years.

Since Cowher stepped down Jan. 5, the Steelers have twice interviewed assistant head coach Russ Grimm and Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin, but cannot talk again with Rivera, their third finalist, until the Bears' season has ended.

If the Bears win Sunday, the Steelers must decide whether they could afford to wait another two weeks to talk to Rivera, or if they should hire Tomlin or Grimm so they can start to reassemble their coaching staff and begin planning for the 2007 season. Rivera's first interview with the team went well and the Steelers have strongly hinted they would like to talk with him again.

Ron Rivera could be coming in for another interview if the Bears lose. (US Presswire)

SI.com, Sports Illustrated's website, and later ESPN.com reported Saturday the Steelers have decided on Tomlin -- a story that clearly caught the team off guard. Steelers owner Dan Rooney told the Associated Press he had no comment. Team president Art Rooney II, leaving the team's practice complex Saturday, said he had nothing to say.

A person with knowledge of the search denied Tomlin has been hired, telling the AP that not only has the job not been offered, but there have been no contract negotiations. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the Steelers do not want details of the search made public until they have made their choice.

Click on link for full article:

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9944063

I'm thinking it's Grimm. I feel the sources behind the Pittsburgh paper are closer to the truth than ESPN. (And I think the Grimm story is more recent (12:05 AM today) than the undecided story at the PT.) For the PT to report Grimm as coach, I would have to think it would need to be a sure thing, being a local story that is HUGE for the community. Does anyone recall Mortensen dropping hints that Gibbs might step down, etc., about a year or so ago (before the playoff run)? Sometimes CM comes up with good stuff, but other times, road apples.

I thought I read that correctly last night. It would seem the reports of Russ Grimm's getting messed around by the Steelers were greatly exaggerated. Figure that this stuff may just hurry the Steelers in making an announcement when they make that choice, ( that is if they haven't already). Good for Russ if he get's it. And good for the Steelers if they give him the nod. Assuming Russ can get the job done as a head coach, ( which seems very likely), this gives the Steelers some continuity. Russ has been there for some time now and that helps in all the obvious ways. This would, I would think, smooth the transition from Bill Cowher to another head coach.

If it is true good for Grimm he's been waiting a long time to get a chance to be a head coach.

Since Grimm was on the coaching staff of the Skins at the time I would have loved to see him get a chance here when Marty left. Would have saved us from the whole Spurrier debacle.

Of course the new Dolphins coach Cam Cameron was here too.

And Ken Whisenhunt, the new Cardinals coach played here as well.

Since Grimm was on the coaching staff of the Skins at the time I would have loved to see him get a chance here when Marty left. Would have saved us from the whole Spurrier debacle.

Of course the new Dolphins coach Cam Cameron was here too.

And Ken Whisenhunt, the new Cardinals coach played here as well.

Actually, I believe Russ was gone before Marty left. Got caught up in Marty's sweeping changes if memory serves.

the steelers want someone from outside to reenergize their organization and tomlin is a young firey coach. grimm will get his shot.. i mean the steelers have had 2 coaches in their history and i think they know how to pick their coaches

Well, only 2 coaches during the Superbowl era any way. My guess is that the Steelers have thought about bringing in someone from the outside,(Tomlin), but have thought about keeping the continuity of coaching, ( Grimm), as well. Re-energizing a team could be done from hiring from the inside as much as the outside. Tough decisions for the Steelers. Both appear to be great candidates for the job.

Will Tomlin continue to run Cover 2 in pittsburgh or will the 3-4 defensive still be there

pft said he would run the cover two :whoknows:

POSTED 11:05 a.m. EST, January 21, 2007

CLAYTON CONTRADICTS MORTENSEN

Though he did it as tactfully as he possibly could, ESPN's John Clayton directly contradicted his colleague, Chris Mortensen, to cap the 10:30 a.m. EST edition of SportsCenter.

Regarding the Steelers' coaching search, Clayton said that no final decision has been made, and that the powers-that-be will watch the conference championship games and ponder whether to wait for Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, the only finalist for the position that hasn't gotten a second interview.

Mortensen said earlier in the show that "we're" sticking the ESPN report that Tomlin would get the job. Apparently, Clayton isn't part of the "we", because he ain't toeing the party line.

POSTED 10:40 a.m. EST, January 21, 2007

STEELERS SAY NO ONE HAS BEEN HIRED

The Pittsburgh Steelers have added their two cents (which tend to be slightly more significant than others' two cents) regarding the question of whether they have hired a new head coach.

Said the team, in a release e-mailed to the media at 9:18 a.m. (and 10 seconds) EST: "At this point and time, the Steelers have not concluded a contract agreement with a new head coach, nor do we expect to do so today. There will be no other announcements from this office today." The statement also appears

on the team's web site.

This tells us that the Steelers are more likely to hire Mike Tomlin than Russ Grimm. Why? Because the reports regarding Tomlin are merely that the Steelers have selected him, not that they have hired him. The report in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review is that Grimm has been offered, and has accepted, the position. And if the Steelers are telling the truth (and we have no reason to think they aren't), that's simply not the case.

Meanwhile, ESPN is

sticking to its guns regarding the report that the Steelers have chosen Tomlin.

Though we think we're being objective in this regard, we acknowledge that we're rooting for Tomlin to get the job. A little. As one reader observed this morning, "Your recent love fest of with Tomlin reminds me of when Jerry Seinfeld and his girlfriend argued about who was Shmoopy." With that said, we still have a strong feeling that Tomlin is the guy, and that the reports linking Grimm to the job might represent a last-ditch effort by Grimm, his agent, or someone else with a vested interest in Grimm getting the gig to throw a wrench in the gears.

Regardless, the Steelers need to get this thing under control. Quickly. As in now. The interview process proceeded without a single leak, and now there are competing leaks regarding competing finalists. Standing silent through Sunday, in our view, isn't acceptable. To do so, frankly, is to risk being perceived by the league and the media as amateurs.

And it likewise will set up a situation in which the performance of the Steelers' ultimate selection will endlessly be compared to the record of the guy who doesn't get the job. So if a choice hasn't been made, there's now even more pressure on the team to make the right decision.

POSTED 7:57 a.m. EST, January 21, 2007

TOMLIN OR GRIMM? WHO THE HELL KNOWS?

The Pittsburgh Steelers, we believe, are one of the best overall organizations in the NFL, if not in all of sports.

Over the past 24 hours, however, some weird stuff has been happening there.

After a back-and-forth round of media reports regarding whether Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin will be the next coach of the Steelers, Mike Prisuta of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that Steelers offensive line coach

Russ Grimm has been offered, and has accepted, the job.

Meanwhile, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has a story dated January 21 in which the bottom line is that

no one has gotten the job.

We've got some other stuff to take care of this morning involving a large, drafty building and our Creator, but we'll be back by 10:00 a.m. EST or so to try to figure this one out.

pft.com

It's Tomlin

Mike Tomlin Accepts Offer From Steelers

>>>PITTSBURGH - Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin accepted the Pittsburgh Steelers' coaching job Sunday night and was working out a four-year contract he hoped to complete Monday, people close to the search told The Associated Press.

They requested anonymity because the Steelers have asked all parties involved in the search to not speak to reporters until they can make the announcement, which could come Monday or Tuesday.

Tomlin is expected to make around $2.5 million per year, the going rate of late for first-time NFL coaching hires. Former Steelers coach Bill Cowher resigned Jan. 5 following 15 seasons after apparently rejecting a $6 million per year contract extension offer earlier this year.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.<<<

Archived