Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: NFL HoF Finalists:

Veretax

48.4% Art Monk, WR -- Redskins (1980-93), Jets (1994), Eagles (1995)

43.4% Thurman Thomas, RB -- Bills (1988-99), Dolphins (2000)

40.3% Bruce Matthews, G/C -- Oilers/Titans (1983-2001)

40.3% Derrick Thomas, LB -- Chiefs (1989-99)

38.3% Paul Tagliabue, NFL Commissioner (1989-2006)

35.4% Michael Irvin, WR -- Cowboys (1988-99)

31.6% Richard Dent, DE -- Bears (1983-93, 1995), 49ers (1994),

28.0% Ray Guy, P -- Raiders (1973-86)

26.8% Andre Reed, WR -- Bills (1985-99), Redskins (2000)

26.2% Gary Zimmerman, T-- Vikings (1986-92), Broncos (1993-97)

21.5% Gene Hickerson, G -- Browns (1958-73)

15.9% Russ Grimm, G -- Redskins (1981-91)

13.9% Roger Wehrli, CB -- Cardinals (1969-82)

7.8% Andre Tippett, LB -- Patriots (1982-93)

7.4% Bob Kuechenberg, G -- Dolphins (1970-84)

6.7% Fred Dean, DE -- Chargers (1981-85), 49ers (1981-85)

6.4% Charlie Sanders, TE -- Lions (1968-77)

45.7% Art Monk, WR -- Redskins (1980-93), Jets (1994), Eagles (1995)

41.3% Thurman Thomas, RB -- Bills (1988-99), Dolphins (2000)

37.9% Derrick Thomas, LB -- Chiefs (1989-99)

37.9% Bruce Matthews, G/C -- Oilers/Titans (1983-2001)

36.2% Paul Tagliabue, NFL Commissioner (1989-2006)

33.4% Michael Irvin, WR -- Cowboys (1988-99)

29.8% Richard Dent, DE -- Bears (1983-93, 1995), 49ers (1994), Colts (1996), Eagles (1997)

26.4% Ray Guy, P -- Raiders (1973-86)

25.3% Andre Reed, WR -- Bills (1985-99), Redskins (2000)

25.1% Gene Hickerson, G -- Browns (1958-73)

24.4% Gary Zimmerman, T-- Vikings (1986-92), Broncos (1993-97)

15.1% Russ Grimm, G -- Redskins (1981-91)

12.8% Roger Wehrli, CB -- Cardinals (1969-82)

7.3% Andre Tippett, LB -- Patriots (1982-93)

7.0% Bob Kuechenberg, G -- Dolphins (1970-84)

6.3% Fred Dean, DE -- Chargers (1981-85), 49ers (1981-85)

6.0% Charlie Sanders, TE -- Lions (1968-77)

Total Votes: 96,344

How did this happen?! This Gene guy came from 5th from the bottom with 13%, now hes one with 61.1?

61.1% Gene Hickerson, G -- Browns (1958-73)

23.2% Art Monk, WR -- Redskins (1980-93), Jets (1994), Eagles (1995)

20.9% Thurman Thomas, RB -- Bills (1988-99), Dolphins (2000)

18.9% Derrick Thomas, LB -- Chiefs (1989-99)

18.7% Bruce Matthews, G/C -- Oilers/Titans (1983-2001)

17.9% Paul Tagliabue, NFL Commissioner (1989-2006)

16.5% Michael Irvin, WR -- Cowboys (1988-99)

15.1% Richard Dent, DE -- Bears (1983-93, 1995), 49ers (1994), Colts (1996), Eagles (1997)

13.7% Ray Guy, P -- Raiders (1973-86)

12.6% Andre Reed, WR -- Bills (1985-99), Redskins (2000)

11.6% Gary Zimmerman, T-- Vikings (1986-92), Broncos (1993-97)

8.0% Russ Grimm, G -- Redskins (1981-91)

6.2% Roger Wehrli, CB -- Cardinals (1969-82)

4.5% Andre Tippett, LB -- Patriots (1982-93)

3.8% Bob Kuechenberg, G -- Dolphins (1970-84)

3.2% Charlie Sanders, TE -- Lions (1968-77)

3.1% Fred Dean, DE -- Chargers (1981-85), 49ers (1981-85)

I do not care what kind of backers they have...If Gene Hickerson gets in before Monk OR Grimm the doors should be locked to that building...who in the heck is Gene Hickerson?
Gene Hickerson was a guard who blocked for three Hall of Fame runningbacks - Jim Brown, Leroy Kelly, and Bobby Mitchell before he came to the Redskins. He went to six Pro Bowls and was named all-pro five times. Sam Huff said "Gene was the best offensive lineman I ever played against."

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/article.php?id=6399

Hickerson is almost guaranteed to get in. He and Bruce Mathews are the only locks. Tagliabue will probably also get in. The other three could be anyone, but hopefully it will be Monk's year. Grimm will probably have to wait at least another two years.

Gene Hickerson was a guard who blocked for three Hall of Fame runningbacks - Jim Brown, Leroy Kelly, and Bobby Mitchell before he came to the Redskins. He went to six Pro Bowls and was named all-pro five times. Sam Huff said "Gene was the best offensive lineman I ever played against."

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/article.php?id=6399

Hickerson is almost guaranteed to get in. He and Bruce Mathews are the only locks. Tagliabue will probably also get in. The other three could be anyone, but hopefully it will be Monk's year. Grimm will probably have to wait at least another two years.

I may be wrong but if "Hick" was all that he would've been voted in a long time ago. You are right though Grimm will have to wait but Monk is well past due. Bruce Mathews a lock?...I know that he was a good O-lineman but if Rayfield Wright had to wait as long as he did there is definitely something wrong with that voting system

I may be wrong but if "Hick" was all that he would've been voted in a long time ago. You are right though Grimm will have to wait but Monk is well past due. Bruce Mathews a lock?...I know that he was a good O-lineman but if Rayfield Wright had to wait as long as he did there is definitely something wrong with that voting system
I agree that there is something wrong with the voting system ... some players just get caught up in weird politics, like Art Monk for the past five years. Monk probably would've been a first ballot Hall of Famer if the committee hadn't left Lynn Swann and John Stallworth hanging for so long, and now he's caught up in this Irvin vs. Monk/Cowboy vs. Redskin debate ... it's a flawed process that is susceptible to political maneuvering, but I think it usually reaches the right conclusion in the end.

I don't know why Hickeson didn't make it the first time around, but since he was selected by the Senior Committee this year, it almost guarantees that he goes in - the voters don't like to reject the senior guys, and I can't think of a good reason to keep Hickerson out.

As far as Bruce Matthews, he went to 14 Pro Bowls ... I know Pro Bowls aren't necessarily everything, but 14 is ridiculous. Rayfield Wright only went to 6, which is the same as Hickerson, and Grimm only went to 4. All those guys should be Hall of Famers, but Matthews is clearly a cut above.

I agree that there is something wrong with the voting system ... some players just get caught up in weird politics, like Art Monk for the past five years. Monk probably would've been a first ballot Hall of Famer if the committee hadn't left Lynn Swann and John Stallworth hanging for so long, and now he's caught up in this Irvin vs. Monk/Cowboy vs. Redskin debate ... it's a flawed process that is susceptible to political maneuvering, but I think it usually reaches the right conclusion in the end.

I don't know why Hickeson didn't make it the first time around, but since he was selected by the Senior Committee this year, it almost guarantees that he goes in - the voters don't like to reject the senior guys, and I can't think of a good reason to keep Hickerson out.

As far as Bruce Matthews, he went to 14 Pro Bowls ... I know Pro Bowls aren't necessarily everything, but 14 is ridiculous. Rayfield Wright only went to 6, which is the same as Hickerson, and Grimm only went to 4. All those guys should be Hall of Famers, but Matthews is clearly a cut above.

Not to say that I know anymore then anyone but I have seen both these guys play and in my opinion Matthews was not a better lineman than Wright. Yes, he was a perenial pro bowl selection but who was his competition?...that should make a difference also

Maybe it's a problem in the voting system. Hickerson was guard, like Grimm. Those positions tend to get overlooked. The senior commitee seems to get it right. I have family from Cleveland. Hickerson was the best guard of his era. Blocked for three HOF RBs. Sam Huff's said he's the best he's faced. No doubt he belongs. Just like there's a logjam at WR, there's one at guard. The sooner Hick, Kuch and Bruce get in, the sooner Grimm goes.

Not to say that I know anymore then anyone but I have seen both these guys play and in my opinion Matthews was not a better lineman than Wright. Yes, he was a perenial pro bowl selection but who was his competition?...that should make a difference also
Well the competition for Matthews is also going to help him get into the Hall of Fame on the first ballot. There's just no other competition this year - Terrell Davis, Eric Allen, and Randall Cunningham were the only other possible Hall of Famers that retired in 2001, and none of them even made the list of finalists. If he were up against Troy Aikman and Reggie White, who retired a year before he did, or Cris Carter and Darrell Green, who retired a year after he did, maybe it would be a harder decision, but maybe he's just a lucky guy who played in the right era to be elected to 14 Pro Bowls and to be elected to the Hall of Fame on the first ballot.

It's hard to compare players from different eras, so I'm not going to tell you that Matthews or Wright was clearly better, but they're both going to be in the Hall, so there's really no use debating it. Keeping Matthews out just because Rayfield had to wait would be even more ridiculous than what the voters have done to Monk.

Me being a Cowboys fan must admit Art Monk belongs in the HOF, it's a shame sports writers are even the ones voting. I also believe Michael Irvin should be put in, wouldn't that be crazy to have them go in the same year...

If Irvin and Monk get in at the same time it will only show the Hall for the Joke it is.

Irvin was a great receiver, no doubt. But his numbers don't stack up to Monks. Neither did his blocking. Nor his attitude. Nor his rushing.

Monk's career:

Rushing | Receiving |

| Att Yards Y/A TD | Rec Yards Y/R TD |

| 63 332 5.3 0 | 940 12721 13.5 68 |

Irvin's career:

| Rushing | Receiving |

| Att Yards Y/A TD | Rec Yards Y/R TD |

| 6 6 1.0 0 | 750 11904 15.9 65 |

Monk was a far superior Football player, the guy did it all.

But I guess to the know-nothing sports writers, If you are a crack smoking trash talking blowhard like Irvin your career stats look better than if you are a Humble soft-spoken work-a-holic perfectionist like Monk.

The clowns have alot of backers!

Or a Browns fan has a macro program running for this poll.

No way the guy who almost no body has heard of goes from 9% to over 60% of the vote in a day. Monk had 60% of the vote before the bs happened. It doesn't really matter though. Monk wins this poll every year and still isn't in the JOKE of a NFL HOF.

How did this happen?! This Gene guy came from 5th from the bottom with 13%, now hes one with 61.1?

61.1% Gene Hickerson, G -- Browns (1958-73)

23.2% Art Monk, WR -- Redskins (1980-93), Jets (1994), Eagles (1995)

Probably one guy with a online voting program. (Fairly common now especially among political activist types- fortunately these votes really don't matter).

Right now that old guard that I have never heard of before is dominating the vote, with Art Monk right behind him at 18%.

Before I tell you my picks, you should not that I used to hate the Bills with a passion...

My picks are:

Art Monk

Russ Grimm

Derrick Thomas

Paul Tagliabou

and

Thermon Thomas

That's saying something as much I as I used to love cheering against Thermon and the Bills. But when I started getting into football, he was the biggest name with Smith and Sanders at the running back position and was also the MVP.

Art Monk should go into the Hall of Fame and that goes without saying. If he doesn't, then I will have no respect what so ever for the Hall of fame and the whole idea behind a hall of fame is tarnished.

Archived