Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Cowher a HOF coach?

Number5

I ask because his resume is quite impressive, his term as coach is outstanding, and he does have a SB to his credit.

After reading this quote from Dan Rooney....

"History will look back on Bill Cowher as one of the great coaches of all time," Steelers chairman Dan Rooney said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2721349

Do you guys agree with this assestment? Is he a HOF coach?

I say yes... :2cents:

I believe that Cowher is a HOF Coach he had so many winning seasons and coached in the era before free agency in the early stages of his career and still thrived when free agency was huge. He consistently put quality teams on the field despite losing key players to free agency each year.

yes. He's in as soon as his name is eligible. No doubt in my mind.

Agreed...he's a first ballot guy, no question. He coached Pittsburgh for 15 seasons, and averaged a just under 10 wins a season. That stat alone, regardless of superbowls will get him in. That's just CRAZY, especially in this era.

And he took over a Steeler's team that was 9-7, 9-7, then 7-9 the three seasons before him, so he wasn't exactly taking over a juggernaut. What did he do in his first season? 11-5. Our own Saint Joe only managed an 8-8 record in his first year.

Longevity in an era of musical coaches, two superbowl appearances and one win, an average of 9.9 wins a season, and 5 AFC Championship games. He's a first-ballot guy, no question.

I ask because his resume is quite impressive, his term as coach is outstanding, and he does have a SB to his credit.

After reading this quote from Dan Rooney....

"History will look back on Bill Cowher as one of the great coaches of all time," Steelers chairman Dan Rooney said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2721349

Do you guys agree with this assestment? Is he a HOF coach?

I say yes... :2cents:

Yes, I think so once he is done being the Redskins Associate, Assistant Head coach in charge of something. :laugh: Danny will snap him up for 3 -5 mil a year

If he retires after this season, he'll be eligible next year, but I think the voters will be reluctant to vote him in. Parcells still isn't in because the voters thought (rightly) that he would come back to coaching. Next year we've got Cris Carter and Darrell Green becoming eligible for the first time and guys like Derrick Thomas and Michael Irvin could still be waiting to get in ... I doubt they'll use up a spot on Cowher when he's so young and so likely to come back to coaching in the future.

Brian Billick has one superbowl + a .570 winning percentage in B'more.

Cowher has one superbowl + a .620 winning percentage.

If everyone is sure that Cowher is a shoe-in for the HOF, I guess we're building a case for Billick, too.

Is there anyone that thinks Billick is a HOF coach?

Brian Billick has one superbowl + a .570 winning percentage in B'more.

Cowher has one superbowl + a .620 winning percentage.

If everyone is sure that Cowher is a shoe-in for the HOF, I guess we're building a case for Billick, too.

Is there anyone that thinks Billick is a HOF coach?

If Billick coaches 7 more years and averages at least the same number of regular season wins and a half a dozen more playoff wins it would have to be considered.

All he needed was the SB ring to get in. Well he has that now.

62% winning percentage over 15 years, with the same team, should be enough to get him in. His character and loyalty put him ahead of Tuna in my books. Probably because I have hated Parcells for 15 years.

Cowher will be in without question and desrvedly so. Just like we say at times about a game or a player, Cowher has "intangibles" that add to his worthy record. The guy exudes NFL football and serves as a great representative of the league in media.It's like he's from central casting.

BTW...here's a bad thought...if Cowher were to decide to go somewhere else...guess where I'd put the attraction if it became available? Uh-huh. Never thought I'd be hoping for Tuna to stay put. :laugh:

Cowher is a great coach, but he isn't a cure all type of guy. Without the patience he received in Pittsburgh he wouldn't be nearly as successful. There were times that on many other teams he wouldn't have kept his job. Whereve he goes, it will take a year or two to lay the foundation, as everyone involved with the team he directs needs to buy into his ideal. Jerry Jones would never allow a guy like that the resources he needs to succeed.

** This is meant as a testament to his coaching, not an argument against his Hall bid.

Archived