Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should Kenny Wright Come Back Next Year?

method man

The past few games I haven't heard his name, meaning he is doing a decent job out there lately. At the same time, I don't trust him to be our nickel back--maybe the dime guy. If he comes back for the minimum (his current contract), do you take him or try to draft a guy in Day 2 and develop on the active roster as the dime guy.

Yes. I know he is not beloved, but he is a decent veteran who is making the vet minimum. That means he only counts 470K against the cap. If we bring in Nate Clements as expected, Wright would be our fourth CB. For the vet min, with solid experience and knowledge of the system, I'll take it.

Ummm if we somehow sign Clements (which I vehemently oppose), we ain't keeping Springs and his 7 million dollar salary. I doubt he takes a huge paycut too
People assume we don't have the cap room for this. we do. springs doesn't need to take a paycut, we just need to restructure his deal, there is a big difference. Do not be suprised if, barring injury, Rogers is our NB next year.

Why would the coaching staff demote our top 10 pick a year ago to NB? there is no way that happens, despite rogers's inconsistent play. Springs is 32 also and he is past his prime. Our strategy of making base salaries into roster bonuses has almost wrecked us twice. The first time Marty saved us by making cuts all over the place. The second time, the league drastically increased the cap. Our luck is going to run out.

Why would the coaching staff demote our top 10 pick a year ago to NB? there is no way that happens, despite rogers's inconsistent play. Springs is 32 also and he is past his prime. Our strategy of making base salaries into roster bonuses has almost wrecked us twice. The first time Marty saved us by making cuts all over the place. The second time, the league drastically increased the cap. Our luck is going to run out.
One scenario that I really like is bringing in Clements, keeping Rogers at #2 and moving Springs to SS.

No end to this madness F-16 chief, you want Rogers gone? The guy who stopped that 4th down pass to keep the win over one of the best teams in the league. Its great that you are good in Madden and are a Skins fan, but in real football you dont cut a corner you drafted in the first round after two seasons. Especially after he put up a great game against Steve Smith and made sure we won the game against the Saints.

The past few games I haven't heard his name, meaning he is doing a decent job out there lately. At the same time, I don't trust him to be our nickel back--maybe the dime guy. If he comes back for the minimum (his current contract), do you take him or try to draft a guy in Day 2 and develop on the active roster as the dime guy.

He made a nice play yesterday to break up a pass. We should keep Kenny IMO. He was thrust into the starting role in a new defense and he's relatively cheap to boot. We need the depth - maybe not ideal, but he may get better and he is certainly an upgrade over Mike Rumph 'Roast' and Ade actually who can't play his way out of special teams.

I want as many players as possible to come back = consistency

I want as many plays as possible to come back = consistency

---------------------------------------

8 years later - please god... just a skosh of consistency ...

Good post!!! The Skins keep RE-vamping and bringing folks in. Still hasn't worked folks. The defense needs...."Chemistry." That comes best with....."Familiarity." With all its new parts in '06 from '05? I didn't recognize this defense in terms of play. They sucked! Notice, even DE A. Carter is playing better. New folks "Take time" to learn the system. We can't afford to continuosly over-haul our roster "EVERY YEAR!" If the Skins do it again? Expect a similar year in '07! It took till game 14 for the defense to perform like we were accustomed to. Have we learned anything from this yet?

If we do sign a new starting caliber corner (Clements, Samuels, Draft Pick, Trade, whatever....)

we should do the following

Base: CB: Rogers, New Guy, FS: Taylor, SS: Springs (or you could flip Taylor and Springs I guess, Springs is probably still going to be a better cover guy than Taylor)

Nickle: CB: Rogers, New Guy, Springs, FS: Taylor, SS: Preliou, Fox, or Rumph

Dime: CB: Rogers, New Guy, Springs, Wright, FS: Taylor, SS: Preliou, Fox or Rumph

I'd keep Wright, no problem. Springs at Safety would be awesome. A corner who can nap some INT's with the cover skills as a safety is a wet dream come true. Imagine the backfield with Clements and Rogers as CB's. Wright at Nickle. Taylor and Springs at safeties. You can even throw PP into the mix as the NB if you want. Either way that's a secondary to be feared.

Now if we can only replace that HOLE named Holdmann with something I'd be quite happy.

Oh yah, and a monster on the D-line.

I'd keep Wright, no problem. Springs at Safety would be awesome. A corner who can nap some INT's with the cover skills as a safety is a wet dream come true. Imagine the backfield with Clements and Rogers as CB's. Wright at Nickle. Taylor and Springs at safeties. You can even throw PP into the mix as the NB if you want. Either way that's a secondary to be feared.

Now if we can only replace that HOLE named Holdmann with something I'd be quite happy.

Oh yah, and a monster on the D-line.

A 7million dollar strong safety! Who is their right mind would do that? Doh. The Skins have 10million guaranteed to AA. While Springs is 32 there are CBs that have played at a high level for a few more years. The question is whether he is completely healthy.

Archived