Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Smoot benched

REDPepper

SMOOT BENCHED, WILLIAMSON DEMOTED

The Vikings have benched cornerback Fred Smoot, according to Sean Jensen of the St. Paul Pioneer Press. He'll be replaced by rookie Cedric Griffin.

The move calls into question Smoot's future with the team. He was signed as a free agent prior to the 2005 season, but since the Vikings used a high-dollar roster bonus in lieu of a signing bonus, the bulk of the cap charge was taken in year one of the relationship.

Smoot's salary shoots from $800,000 in 2006 to $2.7 million in 2007. He's also scheduled to earn $4.9 million, $5.6 million, and $4.9 million in 2008, 2009, and 2010, respectively.

Griffin, in contrast, with make $365,000, $445,000, and $530,000, respectively, in 2007, 2008, and 2009.

The move to Griffin isn't surprising, since the Cover 2 defense the Vikings now employ requires hard-nosed play and sound tackling from the cornerbacks. Smoot is more of a finesse player in the mold of Deion "Don't Hurt Me" Sanders. As legend has it, Smoot struggled to get a single rep on the 225-pound bench-press at the scouting combine in 2001.

Jensen also reports that receiver Troy Williamson likely will have reduced snaps, due to his ongoing problems with catching the football. The No. 7 overall pick in 2005 leads the league with 10 drops. He was replaced by Marcus Robinson in the starting lineup in Week Eleven, and has faded badly after strong performances in the first two games of the season.

it is PFT, but this isn't a rumor, it's the truth. With Smoot probably on the way out, do you think it would make sense for the Redskins to go after him?

The move calls into question Smoot's future with the team. He was signed as a free agent prior to the 2005 season, but since the Vikings used a high-dollar roster bonus in lieu of a signing bonus, the bulk of the cap charge was taken in year one of the relationship.

Which is why, in boldface, we couldn't resign him in 2005. Money was frontloaded in the contact, and there was no way we could match it.

Jason

If they release him, we'd have a definite shot at him (especially when you take into consideration the kind of bonus money we throw around).
The problem is he is not the hard nosed tackling CB type required in a GW defense.

Yeah, that's the biggest impediment that he'd have. At the same time, tho, he's going to be cheaper than some other options, considering that he was a failure in Minn, and the whole Boatgate thing.

I wouldn't mind having him back. At the very least, he's entertaining.

Jason

I think there is a real good chance that the Vikings get rid of him. I know he did us wrong and signed for 11,000 dollars more but he is way way better than Rogers and i feel for the right price we should bring him back if he is cut by the Vikings. I miss Smoot and i think he would bring good leadership back to this team and help the community.

Archived