Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: To Analyze Campbell, 'Jaws' Goes Straight to Video

Dirk Diggler

Seriously, how come there's never ever been an attempt to have TV coverage over there, or at least a weekly highlights show that doesn't have big mouthed idiots in a studio where there are at least 3 too many people spouting off crap loudly (you probably know who I mean), and just have 1 or 2 actual experts quietly and calmly analyse the amazing complexity of the game on the field. No celebs, no stars, no off field crap, no commercials, no constant breaks in the action, no cliches, no schmaltz, just respect the damn game. At times I wonder how you guys can sit around and watch it, it can be painful at times, I generally watch all the NFL games and MLB too, but the way you guys present sports really grates on me, but this column by Jaws at least reinforces the notion that there are actually some people who know stuff, and can make it interesting rather than just be effectively celebrity bull****ters who love the sound of their own voice and more interested in selling a controversial opinion or story than revering the game

</rant>

I like your style my friend, I feel just the same - where are you from ?

Yeah, I'm sure we've all wondered what that game would have been like had B-Lloyd stopped making bad rap songs long enough to hold on to that pass.

I see the problem more on the side of the offensive line. Lloyd dropped that first catch, but after that, he made a few nice catches for Campbell. Like I said, I think the offensive line has been the liability. We might be able to get some trade value for Jansen or Samuels... maybe get some draft picks back and actually draft some line talent. You make a point with the horrable rap songs though. He played some of his album on XXX radio one night with Bram. I felt embarressed for him, it was like listening to a fine mix between a Shaquille Oneal CD and C&C Music Factory. It was 80"s clothing bad.

I think one things that I saw last Sunday that will help out those weaknesses at tackle is that Campbell steps up into the pocket, instead of running out the back end of it.

It sure helped Samuels last week vs Tampa. A few plays Samuels had been beaten around the corner, but because Campbell isn't afraid to slide UP in the pocket, Samuels was able to continue pushing the man on out of the picture, instead of into Brunell, which happened a lot since Brunell would bail out.

As far as Jansen goes,, oh well, it happens. We're going to have a high pick.. a tackle may be a good choice.

~Bang

Bang is spot on...I saw the same thing. Nice analysis by Jaws. O-line not sliding in the right direction has been a problem since pre-season. To my mind - that goes straight to coaching. It seems pass protection has been a problem for years now. Something has improved as evidenced by the reduced number of sacks - but how much improvement has actually occurred is open to debate.

the good news?

- JC is getting better reviews than expected for what is essentially a rook in his first game

- the scheme is well conceived

- receivers are getting open as a consequence of the scheme

the bad news?

- as JG points out: the principles aren't being applied well or consistently

- we are still stuck with this horrible defense

- we are still stuck with the idiots who manage personnel

I think one things that I saw last Sunday that will help out those weaknesses at tackle is that Campbell steps up into the pocket, instead of running out the back end of it.

It sure helped Samuels last week vs Tampa. A few plays Samuels had been beaten around the corner, but because Campbell isn't afraid to slide UP in the pocket, Samuels was able to continue pushing the man on out of the picture, instead of into Brunell, which happened a lot since Brunell would bail out.

As far as Jansen goes,, oh well, it happens. We're going to have a high pick.. a tackle may be a good choice.

~Bang

do you think there is any trade value for an aging lineman like Jansen or Samuels?

The only concern that worries me about JCs mechanics is the fact that he waits for the routes to finish before getting rid of the ball. In an Al Saunders offense you can't do that but hopefully JC will trust his WR to be where they are suppose to be before finishing their routes. Once he really starts to trust his receiever are going to be where they need to be the timing of the offense will improve and as a result it will look alot smoother and polished (and make the O-line look better because the ball is out that much earlier).

Jansen's decline began in training camp, when he ignored me and refused to autograph my football for a mentally challenged person. I immediately ordered a voodoo curse off of e-bay and I will not lift the curse until he apologizes.

I think he played better without the use of his :thumbsup: 's.

Cant hold with no thumbs.

MB is not going to take a team forward on his own like say a Peyton Manning or Carson Palmer could. But surrounded by a good supporting cast and a good D he can manage a game and produce enough points to win. Like last year. Put him on the Bears team and they still have 9 wins.

I'm so sick and tired of "he can manage" the game if everything else goes right. It's rare that you have a team with a "perfect storm" of great D, great running game, great protection, and receivers getting open. Usually when you do, you've got a Super Bowl squad. So it's rare that all those elements come together for any extended period of time.

"Managers" don't win games. Your quarterback should be able to win games for you, not "manage" them. Mark Brunell, circa 1990's, won games for Jacksonville.

I just don't understand why it's a compliment to Mark Brunell to say that if he has great players around him and they are all playing great, he won't screw up too much and the team can win some games.

Sorry, get that kind of QB out of there and find a QB that can come in and elevate his team to that next level.

As for Jaws' analysis, he's always impressive in breaking down film. He gives the fans insight that we usually don't get. I pretty much figured that there is nothing wrong with Saunders' offense. The man has had a top offfense for way too long for it to be the problem here in DC. We just had a QB who couldn't execute it and an offensive line which has been mediocre at best.

If I had my wish, Samuels and Thomas stay in 07. Dockery is not resigned and Jansen and Rabach are replaced. Don't know how much of this we actually could do because of cap ramifications, but especially Jansen has worn out his welcome. He talks alot and likes to view himself as a "leader" but when it comes time to perform on the field, he's garbage and has been garbage since 2002.

FWIW, Jaws rated Campbell as perhaps the best QB of the draft year before last. Obviously, he still likes him. It will be interesting to see what happens if we finally decide to address the one area this team seems to always neglect....the trenches!!! Whether that be OL or DL, I'm still not sure as I'm torn on which we need most. However, we've simply got to do something to fix one of these shortcomings in the upcoming offseason or we're going nowhere fast.

If we have a shot at a stud LT I'd be tempted to take him, move Samuels to RT, Jansen to LG and resign Dockery and move him to the bench.

I'm wondering what you mean by "neglect". I mean, one of the first things Gibbs did was draft a couple of OL.

If you are talking about replacing the starters that were already there, Samuels, Jansen, and Thomas already had big contracts when he got here. Dockery was still developing and cheap. The only position he could address, center, he did after his first season.

So, I don't see the neglect here. If anything, it has gotten as much attention as they could give it.

Jason

One of the problems with our offensive line is that some of the older ones, I.E. Jansen, have already locked up big contracts. In essence, they could retire at any point in time and have already made themselves filthy rich. They don't have a reason to play their hearts out anymore, espescialy when they play for a team out of playoff contention. Dan Snyder should know, money can be one of this world's biggest motivators, but if someone already has it then they haven't the incentive to keep after it. And when everything else like the teams record, the poor play by the defense, and the seemingly lack of any sort of punishment for their poor play is taken into account, they don't even have a reason to keep at it. Gibbs needs to spend one less hour on gameplanning and dedicate it to a motivational speach to fire these guys up for Sunday.

kid, it has nothing to do with motivation, cause everyone on that line fights

Jansen is just getting beat, assignments are being missed by others... "motivating" speaches or a smaller contract wouldn't cover up the fact that people are getting beat

Interesting read. Jaws says that we're leaving a lot of passing TD's on the field, and that it's the offensive line's fault. He especially singles out Jansen.

Bingo.

He also mentions Brunell and how he believes he has played well, if at times inconsistently. Exactly what a lot of us have been trying to tell the rabid team bashing fans we have here. It's obvious the Oline has been our biggest problem this year(along with the Defense as a whole). I just can't believe how inconsistent they are. And it's more bad than good inconsistent too.

I'm not saying this just cuz Jaws wrote this and I feel like I can rub it in. You can look up my threads and see how I've made some focusing on exactly this point. that being said, I'm excited to see what Jason can do for us. He looked great really. I'm hoping he can continue playing at that level. Let's just hope our Oline really picks it up.

What's interesting to me about this article is that it gives high marks (from a respected NFL analyst) to the offensive scheme and play-calling by Saunders, and it's really negative on our o-line. While I still think Saunders can call more runs and play to the strength of this struggling line, we may have even more problems on the line than we thought.

Plain and simple... Jansen is a bum

I always thought Samuels was the bum or at the very least highly overated. The Skins' offensive line has been very bad. The question is "Why?" Is it because they are physically overmatched or is it because they are not comfortable with Saunders' offense?

I respect Jaws' Opinion more than any analyst out there (except when he's talking about The Eagles. He's WAY too much of a homer when it come to them. But, I accept it and move on...... I digress). I love the fact that he points out that our offensive design and playcalling are NOT te problem and that Campbell has showed muc promise. It is an uplifting article, to say the least.

I just dont get it. How can this line go from one of the best in the league to oh-so crappy in a year?

Blocking for 3 different style RB's, 1 Left Handed QB, 1 Right Handed QB all in a new offensive system. Couple that with a down year from Jansen and recovery year from Thomas. There you have it.

without wanting to stir a **** storm, it just emphasises how little respect the TV networks have for the game, and I'm amazed you guys (over in the USA) put up with it. It's clear there are people who know A LOT OF STUFF about the game, and very interesting stuff that the casual fan doesn't see, or that you can't see because you can only view so much of the field at once and you tend to follow the ball. But instead, your wonderful, wonderful sports are all somewhat spoiled by having far too many breaks in play, stoppages, TV adverts, announcers who are stupid and just say the obvious or irrelevant stuff, too many celebrities, too much "jazz" and not enough "substance", too much talking at times, and too many prettied up sideline "dolls" who are a complete waste of space.

Seriously, how come there's never ever been an attempt to have TV coverage over there, or at least a weekly highlights show that doesn't have big mouthed idiots in a studio where there are at least 3 too many people spouting off crap loudly (you probably know who I mean), and just have 1 or 2 actual experts quietly and calmly analyse the amazing complexity of the game on the field. No celebs, no stars, no off field crap, no commercials, no constant breaks in the action, no cliches, no schmaltz, just respect the damn game. At times I wonder how you guys can sit around and watch it, it can be painful at times, I generally watch all the NFL games and MLB too, but the way you guys present sports really grates on me, but this column by Jaws at least reinforces the notion that there are actually some people who know stuff, and can make it interesting rather than just be effectively celebrity bull****ters who love the sound of their own voice and more interested in selling a controversial opinion or story than revering the game

</rant>

An outstanding read!!! :applause: Thanks!!! :)

without wanting to stir a **** storm, it just emphasises how little respect the TV networks have for the game, and I'm amazed you guys (over in the USA) put up with it. It's clear there are people who know A LOT OF STUFF about the game, and very interesting stuff that the casual fan doesn't see, or that you can't see because you can only view so much of the field at once and you tend to follow the ball. But instead, your wonderful, wonderful sports are all somewhat spoiled by having far too many breaks in play, stoppages, TV adverts, announcers who are stupid and just say the obvious or irrelevant stuff, too many celebrities, too much "jazz" and not enough "substance", too much talking at times, and too many prettied up sideline "dolls" who are a complete waste of space.

</rant>

Great post. I have the same problem with sports reporting. I love sports but cannot stand the constant personal attacks with a lack of analysis. On the radio and on tv there are constant personal attacks on players, coaches and owners without a real discussion of the pros and cons of approaches, successes and failures of approaches, breakdowns, etc. Its really sad. I tend not to listen to talk radio because of the lack of analysis.

Example: suppose the skins sign a premier tackle in free agency. Then I will have to hear months of "there goes Snyder trying to buy another championship." Instead of a fair evaluation of the action, such as; "the o-line had serious problems and they went after a player that should make a weak spot into a strength." If the skins fail with that player, but it seemed like a good signing at the time, I will hear the same buying a championship crap, over and over again. I tend to turn them off rather than call in or continue to listen. They would not continue to put that stuff on if people tuned out.

But advertisers want ears and eyes.

So I am always glad to receive good analyses.

Great analysis. He affirms what Gibbs, the receivers, and some of the fans have pointed out all along: the main problem on offense was not Brunell, it was the rest of the team. It's unfortunate that Brunell was made the scapegoat in all this - I don't think he deserved half the criticism that was spewed at him, and certainly not with the venomous tone that many of the fans on this site used (wishing for his death, injury, even the stomping on his grave after he was benched). Brunell certainly wasn't as good as his stats indicated this season, but he wasn't horrible either.

It was probably the right time to change the QB though, both to spark a change and to see what our future held. That said, if our O-line doesn't get its pass-protection problems in check, we can't win games. As Jaws mentioned, it's sickening watching Jansen get pushed off the LOS, and watching Samuels get beat by quality pass rushers and LB's alike. Here's hoping that our O-line really steps up against a much more vicious Carolina pass rush this Sunday.

I always thought Samuels was the bum or at the very least highly overated. The Skins' offensive line has been very bad. The question is "Why?" Is it because they are physically overmatched or is it because they are not comfortable with Saunders' offense?

The other question is - Why didn't Buges know there were problems?

Archived