Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Woman, 92, Dies in Shootout With Police

G.A.C.O.L.B.

This country has become so disgusting that a 92 year old woman would need a gun to defend herself. I know that gun was not bought to shoot cops. It was to shoot "bad guys". Or if that is not the case, why did she need the gun. Maybe she was a 92 year old drug dealer. Im sure there hasbeen cases.

Your conservative cred just took a major hit.

Why is it that these stories always seem to get worse the deeper people dig?

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- An informant cited in a search warrant as having purchased narcotics at an elderly Atlanta woman's house denies buying drugs there, authorities say.

Undercover officers raiding the 88-year-old woman's house shot her to death last week after she fired on them while they broke down her door in a high-crime neighborhood.

Federal prosecutors will investigate the case, Atlanta police Chief Richard Pennington announced Monday. (Watch when the snitch says he got the call to concoct a drug-buy story )

Pennington said the eight-member narcotics squad that took part in the raid has been placed on paid leave while investigators look into the informant's story and the circumstances surrounding the November 21 death of Kathryn Johnston.

The informant also told investigators from the Atlanta police internal affairs bureau that he was told to lie about the matter, the chief said.

"The FBI will investigate his statements, along with the police officers' statements as well," Pennington said.

Authorities said Johnston opened fire on police who tried to enter her home, prying off burglar bars and forcing open her door, [/u]during a "no-knock" drug raid.[/u] Officers returned fire, killing her.

Relatives put Johnston's age at 92, but Fulton County medical examiners said she was 88.

Neighbors and relatives said the raid had to have been a mistake. They said Johnston lived alone and was so afraid of crime in her neighborhood west of downtown Atlanta that she wouldn't let neighbors who delivered groceries for her come into her home.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/11/28/atlanta.shooting/index.html

So we know from the first article the officer's were in plain clothes. This article adds the fact that this was a no-knock raid.

Why is it that these stories always seem to get worse the deeper people dig?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/11/28/atlanta.shooting/index.html

So we know from the first article the officer's were in plain clothes. This article adds the fact that this was a no-knock raid.

Im not starting a riot but trust me...If it had been a 92 yr. old White woman shot by 5 plain cloths Black Police officers, the hypocrits would have an entirely different take. Just like if the Guys in the Bachelor Party would have been 7 white males out having a good time and were shot at 55 times by 5 Black police officers the hypocrits would be crying bloody murder :2cents:

Having some problems making this latest5 claim fit, though.

Before the cops shot Grandma, they had no motive to lie, or to get the snitch to lie.

Am I supposed to assume they kicked in the door, shot Grandma, then asked for and got a back-dated warrant? If that's the case, then there's a lot more people involved here than a couple cops and a snitch.

But before the shooting, they had no motive to lie.

But before the shooting, they had no motive to lie.
You know this how?

Have you considered the possibility that they simply apply the snitches names to warrents? No need for back dating when you have a guy eager to help (because you have his ass if he doesn't). If that situation was going on then this type of result would be how the rest of the world found out about it. A screw up that reversed the leverage position the cops had over the informant. Suddenly they find themselves in a **** storm and he wants no part of it.

The other possibility is maybe they leaned on their informant a bit to hard. They demanded something, and he was eager to provide them with "something". They failed to confirm it and just took off on a no-knock raid with a full head of steam and their lazy police work came back to bite them in the ass when the result was a dead old person and a lot of furious neighbors.

You know this how?

Have you considered the possibility that they simply apply the snitches names to warrents? No need for back dating when you have a guy eager to help (because you have his ass if he doesn't). If that situation was going on then this type of result would be how the rest of the world found out about it. A screw up that reversed the leverage position the cops had over the informant. Suddenly they find themselves in a **** storm and he wants no part of it.

The other possibility is maybe they leaned on their informant a bit to hard. They demanded something, and he was eager to provide them with "something". They failed to confirm it and just took off on a no-knock raid with a full head of steam and their lazy police work came back to bite them in the ass when the result was a dead old person and a lot of furious neighbors.

Before the shooting, the cop's motive to lie was what?

They were sitting around the station, and one of 'em said "Y'know, I ain't shot me any Grandmas in months. Let's go make up a fake search warrant and kick in somebody's door for grits and shiggles."?

(Now, if your point is that just because I can't think of a motive doesn't mean there isn't one, then I'll freely admit that you're correct. I'd believe, for example, a scenario where the cops were leaning on the snitch and the snitch pulled something out of . . . . thin air. Problem I see with that scenario is that if that's the case, then snitch, by claiming "I never told them that", is implicating himself, although now I'm way off in "maybe land". And, I'll point out that if that's the case, then none of the cops have lied, all they're guilty of is "getting bad intel".)

So if someone in plain clothes comes to my door saying police, then they start banging down my door... I'm suppose to believe them? Especially if I haven't been involed in any crime. Any nut can wave a badge, and call out police. I don't blame the old lady. I mean heck she's 88, who knows what kind of neighborhood she lives in.

This is a sad situation.

• 5 years later...
http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta-citizen-review-board-1447336.html

Citizen review board not doing well; a damn shame :(

It would be awesome if the entire board was comprised of defense attorneys and former prosecutors that knew from experience what to look for and didn't spend a second concerned with "what officers go through" or any other such insulting nonsense. Higher standards, never lower.

It would be awesome if the entire board was comprised of defense attorneys and former prosecutors that knew from experience what to look for and didn't spend a second concerned with "what officers go through" or any other such insulting nonsense. Higher standards, never lower.
It'd also be awesome if I was a millionaire :kickcan:

I fully support citizen review boards. However, that "story" is laughable. At such point as you shoot two police officers who have knocked an announced, you're no longer "innocent." (I mean, legally you are until proven otherwise. But making her out to be a sweet little old lady who was murdered for no reason is bunk.)

I fully support citizen review boards. However, that "story" is laughable. At such point as you shoot two police officers who have knocked an announced, you're no longer "innocent." (I mean, legally you are until proven otherwise. But making her out to be a sweet little old lady who was murdered for no reason is bunk.)

Are you talking about the 92 year old woman?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathryn_Johnston_shooting

Might want to catch up on the story HH.

Are you talking about the 92 year old woman?

Might want to catch up on the story HH.

she fired one shot out the door over the officers' heads and they fired 39 shots, five or six of which hit her.[3][6] None of the officers were injured by her gunfire, but Johnston was killed by the officers. Police injuries were later attributed to "friendly fire" from each others' weapons.[2][3][6]

One of the officers planted marijuana in Johnston's house after the shooting.[7][8] Later investigations found that the paperwork stating that drugs were present at Johnston's house, which had been the basis for the raid, had been falsified.[3] The officers later admitted to having lied when they submitted cocaine as evidence claiming that they had bought it at Johnston's house.[7] Three officers were tried for manslaughter and other charges surrounding falsification and were sentenced to ten, six, and five years respectively.[3]

Interesting going through this thread and seeing some of the comments people made earlier, considering how this turned out.

Are you really referring to the case where the Atlanta cops botched a raid, killed an innocent woman in her own home, shot each other in an impressive display of ineptitude, lied about how the operation unfolded, and planted drugs in the woman's home? All of this is established fact, your understanding of the circumstances is faulty.

And you're a conservative?

Cops kick down an innocent old woman's door. She defends herself with a legal weapon and is slain in return. The police did nothing wrong, there's no reason to question the process? Has this country become this disgusting?

What a crock.

How the hell can you think that a woman who shoots 3 cops is innocent?

Is no one else impressed that she hit ALL three of the officers at least once? Despite what you see in movies, aiming and hitting your target is not that easy!

I was going to say that. 92 years old and has that good of aim. I would have hit the wall, the door and a 1989 Nissan Sentra parked out front, before I'd be able to hit a person.

Yes. I noticed that. I did not want to celebrate someone shooting an officer though.

Who's celebrating? We're just talking about how accurate a 92 year old woman is with a gun.

EDIT: WOW another old thread bumped.

Archived