Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Woman, 92, Dies in Shootout With Police

G.A.C.O.L.B.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/21/AR2006112101856_pf.html

Woman, 92, Dies in Shootout With Police

The Associated Press

Wednesday, November 22, 2006; 12:18 AM

ATLANTA -- A 92-year-old woman was shot to death Tuesday after she fired at three narcotics officers trying to serve a warrant at her house, officials said.

Neighbors and relatives said it must have been a case of mistaken identity. Police said they had the right address.

Police said the woman, identified as Kathryn Johnson, was the only person home at the time, and had lived there for about 17 years.

As the plainclothes Atlanta police officers approached the house about 7 p.m., a woman inside started shooting, striking each of them, said Officer Joe Cobb, a police spokesman.

Assistant Chief Alan Dreher said the officers had a legal warrant and "knocked and announced" before they forced open the door. He said they were justified in returning fire when they were fired upon.

One was hit in the arm, another in a thigh and the third in a shoulder. The officers were taken to a hospital for treatment, and all three were conscious and alert, police said.

Sarah Dozier, identified as a niece of the woman, told WAGA-TV that there were never any drugs at the house.

"My aunt was in good health. I'm sure she panicked when they kicked that door down," Dozier said. "There was no reason they had to go in there and shoot her down like a dog."

I have mixed emotions on this. I realize that police must defend themselves but it seems like they should have known that a 92 year old woman lived there and could have handled it a lot better then kicking her door down.

I dont know too many 90 year old people who actually remember where their piece is. My wifes' grandfather had so many, in so many places, he was bound to come up with one if he had to look.

I am confused about your mixed emotions though, obviously she was prepared to defend herself. I need to know if she called 911 or just ran down shooting. Seems silly that cops come in plain clothes when they are on this type of assignment.

Guess what ? Anyone comes running in my house (cops or not) when I am taking a nap and I just see random folks running in my house they better have armor and know how to duck.

not to be the a-hole, but when they knock and announce who they are and have to force entry, its because she didn't let them in. she knew they were cops, and she fired at them. 92 or not, nobody is above the law, and she deserved the return fire. **** happens. i'm tired of people giving BS excuses for trying to kill cops.

I have mixed emotions on this. I realize that police must defend themselves but it seems like they should have known that a 92 year old woman lived there and could have handled it a lot better then kicking her door down.

So what you're saying is, they shouldn't have gone in there as though they were approaching an armed and dangerous suspect?

Edit:

Now, I do believe that, whenever possible, cops serving warrants should be in uniform.

I'll freely admit that yelling "Police" in an untelligable shout at the same instant that the battering ram is hitting the door is a form of identification that isn't guaranteed to sink in. I'd rather see the folks going in wearing blue suits with "POLICE" four inches tall across their (kevlar-covered) chests.

Unfortunately, that method has drawbacks if the Bad Guys have lookouts. So I can understand why my "perfect world" method isn't used.

More often than not, they are in plain clothes. I don't quite get how that is a "wrinkle". They do make their badges visible.

Ahhh, maybe they should just wear uniform to make things safer. I personally didn't know that plain clothes was the norm, and if I was an old lady, I'd be scared, too. I don't own a gun, but I can sort of understand where the lady was coming from.

Of course, the results of the investigation may show that she was indeed storing drugs in the house. Who knows.

Are the cops at fault for firing back? No. They were doing the job there were trained and ordered to do when they were fired upon.

It is a sad case though. I wonder if it went down as reported, if they did something wrong there is a strong motivation to lie about it. Also the plain clothes thing bothers me but I don't know enough about law enforcement to comment on it.

Please. Do you really think they are giving you all the information about this? They are covering their butts.

Why do people think they HAD to shoot her? I'd like to know what circumstances prevented them from retreating. They also have these protective shields they can use when they are making these house assaults as well as other protective devices. There's a lot more to know here before anyone can call it.

And don't be so quick to believe that they "knocked and announced" before they started an assault on the house. And why anyone is so sure that a 92 year old woman alone in a home actually heard them or was given enough time to distinguish between a home invasion and the execution of a search warrant is beyond me. You think maybe she had to use a hearing aid at that age? You think she actually even had it on just sitting at home alone and wasting her batteries? When someone is battering in your door and rushing in with a ton of police you really think it's so easy to know what's being said or even hear anyone's words? Do you just automatically support the police? They may have been in the right in this case but I'll bet anything that their tactics left much to be desired. So we wait and see. Convenient that the only witness to their actions is now dead.

Archived