• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      Good afternoon Redskins fans!  I have once again been invited to sit in the relative comfort of the press box and shout my thoughts into the void via this blog.  As you watch the game today and see the rain  pour relentlessly from the heavens, know that I am safe and dry.  Know also that @Spaceman Spiff is out there somewhere, cold and unappreciated, rolling around in the muck trying to capture that perfect picture.  Maybe say a little prayer for his health (or laugh, whatever, I’m not judging you).  Also, be sure not to miss the pictures he posts on this site after each game.     

Before we get into today's Redskins game, I want give some thanks for more positive occurrences in DC sports.  Congrats to the Washington Mystics for winning their first championship.  Congrats go out to the Washington Nationals as well for reaching the world series.  These two teams (along with the Caps) are working hard to change the sports related mood around this town, and we're all happier for it. 

Lets move now into less cheerful topics, namely your Washington Redskins!  Yow know things are going bad, and I mean really dang bad, when your team has gone through three quarterbacks and two coaches and your not even half way through the season.  Today's fresh hell comes in the form of a specter of the our recent past coming to smirk at our misfortune.  Im talking of course of Kyle.  Kyle's spent the week assuring everyone that he isn’t holding a grudge, while very obviously holding a grudge.  “Everything else.”  You know what I’m talking about. 

If all he brought to town were his hurt feelings we wouldn’t have a problem.  Sadly, he’s arrived with an undefeated football team that the NFL says we have to play this week.  This feels entirely unfair. 

My generic key to the game:  Run the ball and stop the run.  The team (spoiler alert: 49ers) that does this today will win.   

Redskins Inactives  
      QB Colt McCoy  
      S Deshazor Everett  
      CB Josh Norman  
      RB Chris THompson  
      LB Josh Harvey-Clemons 
      G Wes Martin  
      TE Vernon Davis  

49ers inactives  
      QB CJ Beathard 
      WR Deebo Samuel  
      CB Ahkello Witherspoon  
      FB Kyle Juszczyk 
      T Mike McGLinchey 
      T Joe Staley 
      DL DJ Jones 

1st Quarter Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers

Callahan wasn’t playing around when he said he wanted to run the ball.  That first drive was all runs, and looked great... right up until they tried to pass the ball.  Hopkins missed the relatively short fied goal, because of course he did.     

Maybe Quinn isn’t a good choice to be returning punts?  Consider it.    

That second Redskins drive looked more like what we’ve come to expect from this offense.  Run for negative yards, pass dropped, and an unsuccessful screen pass.  A quintessential Redskins three and out. 

Passing yards this quarter:  Redskins 3. 49ers 9.  Are you not entertained?! 

Half Time Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers 

How happy are you to spend your Sunday afternoon watching this game?  Consider that some people paid money, to sit in a poncho, in the rain, to watch this game. 

It’s now time for those half time adjustments that our beloved skins do so well.  It’s unlikely the second half mirrors the first. 

3rd Quarter Update 
      Redskins 0 – 3 49ers  

Good news, this game will not end in a 0-0 tie.  Those half time adjustments have kicked in as expected and the 49ers have found a way onto the scoreboard in this messy throwback game.  The Redskins have decided to spend the second half collecting holding penalties and sadness.  Mercifully, only one quarter remains. 

End of Game Update 
      Redskins 0 – 9 49ers 

Callahan hasn’t spent much time as the head coach of the Washington Redskins, but he’s already proven that his team can waste 2nd half timeouts like a veteran.  It makes little sense to adopt a strategy that shortens the game when your team is losing, and it makes even less sense when your team is short on time outs.  I’m not really sure what the thinking as late in this game.    

Next week Kirk Cousins!   

RSkinsFan

The Merged x115 Adventures Of The Fashion Police Weekly aka THE Uniform Thread

I penned a letter -- yes, an actual letter -- to GM Bruce Allen this week, asking him to try to resolve the wonky striping issues with our uniforms and requesting that he bring back the Super Bowl Victory uniforms (white jerseys with burgundy pants) for at least some of our road games.  I know he's a busy guy, so who knows when he'll even get around to reading it, much less considering it.  Moreover, I freely admit that I'm a weirdo for having written such a letter.  :P

As for throwbacks, I didn't address that issue in my letter.  I really wish the NFL would loosen up its rules on alternate uniforms, allowing teams to use a fourth uni combo.

I know I'm the "Gold Pants" but I like the Burgundy ones too. Its really the white ones that I could do without. I'd be happy with a mix of

White Top/Burgundy Pants

White Top/Gold Pants

Burgundy Top/Gold Pants

Only time I'd do white pants is with the white top, which they don't do at all anymore.

• Like 2

I know I'm the "Gold Pants" but I like the Burgundy ones too. Its really the white ones that I could do without. I'd be happy with a mix of

White Top/Burgundy Pants

White Top/Gold Pants

Burgundy Top/Gold Pants

Only time I'd do white pants is with the white top, which they don't do at all anymore.

This is pretty much all they need to do.

I'd say add a home throwback, and use the 75th on the road for 1 game, and that's it.

Oh, for the Dallas home game, wear white jerseys / burgundy pants.  Make the pukes wear the blue jerseys.  Other than that one home game, and a throwback game, every other home game should be Burgundy on Gold.

For away, when the team wears white jerseys, split the difference.  Half the games wear gold, and half wear burgundy pants.

• Like 1

I'd be fine with mixing in Gold/Burgundy pants as long as the Whites are only worn with White tops. Everybody has white pants and even last night it looked weird to me. Like they were wearing tights.

Everybody doesn't have white pants. We need to bring back the burgundy pants in place of them.

Burg over Gold at Home and @ Dallas

White over Burg on the Road

Edited by SpeedKi11s
  • Like 2

I'd say add a home throwback, and use the 75th on the road for 1 game, and that's it.

Why use the 75th jerseys every year? We only had those for two seasons and was never a significant part in Redskin history. The Radio Shack R helmets should be forgotten and erased from history.

I can live with the 70th. Then again, it's best if we move away from the throw backs.

The Radio Shack R helmets should be forgotten and erased from history.

I can live with the 70th. Then again, it's best if we move away from the throw backs.

The R helmets are the worst piece of equipment in our repertoire. And yes, the 70th anniversary jerseys are better than the 75th.

• Like 2

Oh man, I like the "R" helmets, especially with the burgundy jerseys.

The 70th were OK, but way too busy.  I do like the burgundy used for them though.  It looks like same color that was used for the 80th, and if it were up to me, I'd roll with the true burgundy, rather than the cranberry color that is currently used.

I say this strictly from a fashion standpoint as opposed to being a hated rival, but the gold pants are an eyesore. It doesn't matter what color the jersey is (white or burgundy), those things makes my eyes bleed. 

The combinations I do like are the all whites or the all burgundy look. I don't even mind the white/burgundy crossover look, top or bottom. The gold pants are just too OUT THERE, ya know. 

At least your team has a thought process dedicated towards the uniform. Imagine being a Cowboys fan, having to settle for the same, mundane, unspectacular look every week, regardless of location, opponent, occasion (minus Thanksgiving). To even suggest a uniform adjustment, even wearing the blue jerseys (a uniform they already have in place) turns into a witch hunt, first born sacrificing. It's horrible. 

• Like 2

The gold pants are great.  Far better than the white pants.  The white pants need to be retired.  They are straight up 80's cheese.

Dallas should go back to the Roger Staubach era.  The royal blue jerseys with grey pants looked nice.  The current one is a mess with the navy star, royal blue number, and royal blue socks.  The blue jerseys should be royal, not navy.

roger_staubach_1974_09_01.jpg

That's TOO retro. I like the uniform Danny White has on in my avatar. The look is simple. Hard blue, high contrasting silver, and EVERYTHING matches. Very sharp. 

Talk about a 'cheesy' look. The gold pants, dude. Now THAT'S cheesy, in the purest form.

:D

The white pants for the Skins never get old.

Edited by dallasGOON

Who cares what Dallas wears.  Why are we talking about Dallas.  Let them continue to wear those sea foam green pants that they claim are silver.

• Like 2

Who cares what Dallas wears.  Why are we talking about Dallas.  Let them continue to wear those sea foam green pants that they claim are silver.

I don't know what's funnier... the fact that you know that their is a color called sea foam green, or that the Cowboy pants are close to that color? lol

• Like 2

I don't know what's funnier... the fact that you know that their is a color called sea foam green, or that the Cowboy pants are close to that color? lol

I've always said that ****, lol. Those dudes wear aqua pants.  :lol:

• Like 2

I just remember Jerruh saying a few years ago that they just look like that on TV. 

• Like 1

I just remember Jerruh saying a few years ago that they just look like that on TV. 

lol Yeah right. Not on EVERYBODY'S TV/HDTV/LCD Monitor/ Cell Phone lol.

They wear sea foam green pants lol

lol Yeah right. Not on EVERYBODY'S TV/HDTV/LCD Monitor/ Cell Phone lol.

They wear sea foam green pants lol

From 2010

http://The star on the side of the helmet will not change.

The star on the side of the helmet will not change.

But Richie Whitt of the Dallas Observer has turned up an interesting development. The Dallas Cowboys are considering a uniform switch this season. That’s because HD television, like the massive one the Cowboys have hanging from the top of their stadium, make their pants look green in certain lights.

Per the report, Bill Priakos, the team’s vice president of marketing, indicates a subtle change in the pants the team wears could be on the way. That is because Tex Schramm designed the pants to appear blueish silver on TV. They did just that until HD televisions came around and, well, reality sunk in. The pants, indeed, are greenish in a certain light.,

• Like 1

I'm not a real uniform guy, but I stumbled across a picture from of the throwback with the spear on the helmet.  That was a pretty good look.  I also liked the throwbacks from last year.

As long as they stay away from anything same on same (white on white, burgundy on burgundy), I really don't care.

Though, I grew up watching the 'Skins win SBs wearing white on burgundy. So, to me, that's probably the classic.