Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vote Darrell Green for DB Coach!!

skinscantbestopped

Just because you can play doesn't mean that you can coach.

To poorly quote Mitch Hedberg:

When you're in Hollywood and you're a comedian everybody wants you to do other things besides comedy. They say "Alright you're a standup comedian, can you act? Can you write? Write us a script." They want me to do things that's related to comedy but not comedy. That's not fair. It's as though I was a cook, and I worked my ass off to become a really good cook, and they said "Alright you're a cook... can you farm?"

• 5 years later...

Following DG on his Facebook page(s) and it sounds like he is thinking about trying to get onto the Redskins coaching staff.... I don't know how to link exactly to him, but wonder if it is even a possiblity..or maybe not even a possibility....what do you all thinkg (or hear)?

Following DG on his Facebook page(s) and it sounds like he is thinking about trying to get onto the Redskins coaching staff.... I don't know how to link exactly to him, but wonder if it is even a possiblity..or maybe not even a possibility....what do you all thinkg (or hear)?

God I hope not. 28 was without a doubt a truly great redskin. Away from football he's not so nice. He wants nothing to do with fans. I think most players would end up hating him after a while of being coached by him. He would have his back not his players.

Here's the thing.

Shanny doesn't give a rat's ass about DG. He never coached him. I'd assume they've never even had a conversation.

There's no reason he'd fire one of his cronies to bring DG in. I don't see this movement going anywhere.

additionally, he worked with Justin Tryon and he flopped... also, how would Redskins Nation look at Shanny if D. Green goofed up and needed the axe? My guess is it would be borderline hysteria...

I saw DG tweeting about this yesterday. He basically said it takes two to tango though so I guess it's up to the FO.

---------- Post added January-2nd-2012 at 08:30 PM ----------

"@darrellgreen28: I am starting to change my mind about not wanting to coach the Redskins secondary. Maybe i could help coach Shanahan bring a winner back to the Burgundy & Gold."

"@darrellgreen28: I am not sure how to go about it, but we will see."

"@darrellgreen28: There is no other way to say it! As a community ( the DMV) we desperately need our Redskins to return to glory!"

"@darrellgreen28: I want to thank everybody for the support and encouragement, but let's all keep in mind that it will take two to tango. We will see!"

I think he would he a **** coach.

1. Great players are rarely great coaches because they have no patience.

2. DG always came across as kind of a arrogant dick in his public appearances. And this approach of asking on Twitter sorta goes along with that.

So...no thanks.

I think the biggest issue with great players being good coaches is the fact that they can't comprehend when some players can't simply do what they could do.

"...so, in closing, if a top-5 RB busts through the line of scrimmage and has a 20-yard head start on you, just chase him down and make the tackle. Make sure not to grab his face mask or horse collar when you bring him down though. Now moving on to man-to-man coverage and playing until you are into your 40s..."

"...so, in closing, if a top-5 RB busts through the line of scrimmage and has a 20-yard head start on you, just chase him down and make the tackle. Make sure not to grab his face mask or horse collar when you bring him down though. Now moving on to man-to-man coverage and playing until you are into your 40s..."

There are dozens of examples of this. Remember when Magic Johnson briefly coached the Lakers? He got mad at the team so he decided to play a scrimmage of him, then assistant Kurt Rambis and three bench guys against the starters. He was only a few years out of the league and probably was still an all-star level player. His make-shift team beat the starters, and killed their confidence for the rest of the year because the message was "I'm awesome and you're not." And Magic was supposedly a good guy.

The best coaches are typically the guys who had to struggle just to keep a job in their sport if they ever played at all. Bill Cowher was a special teams guy for a few years. Tony Dungy was a backup defensive back.

There are dozens of examples of this. Remember when Magic Johnson briefly coached the Lakers? He got mad at the team so he decided to play a scrimmage of him' date=' then assistant Kurt Rambis and three bench guys against the starters. He was only a few years out of the league and probably was still an all-star level player. His make-shift team beat the starters, and killed their confidence for the rest of the year because the message was "I'm awesome and you're not." And Magic was supposedly a good guy.

The best coaches are typically the guys who had to struggle just to keep a job in their sport if they ever played at all. Bill Cowher was a special teams guy for a few years. Tony Dungy was a backup defensive back.[/quote']

I have to agree with this. I love Darrell Green and what he meant to this organization; however, more times than not, the truly great ones do not make good coaches. It usually is the guys that didn't have stellar careers. Who knows, maybe Darrell has the tools to coach. If anything, maybe we could just suit him up once again and have him play instead.;)

Archived