Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best/Worst GM of all time

Spaceman Spiff

Honestly, I think Bobby Beathard at least deserves to be mentioned as one of the best.

Think about it, he talked JKC into hiring a complete unknown named Joe Gibbs. Look at the replacement team he put on the field in 1987. You guys do remember beating the Pokes with a number of their players crossing the picket line?

Not to mention the fact that his drafts (though he traded picks too) were always productive. His free agent moves always filled gaps without creating chemistry problems, and he built three very different Super Bowl rosters.

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't he the GM in San Diego when they went to the SB vs. SF?

I'm not sure he's "the greatest," by any stretch. That's probably Red Auerbach or one of the old Yankee GM's. But Beathard was a MUCH bigger part of our success in the SB years than most people realize. Don't believe me? How have our roster moves gone the last, oh, 15 years or so?

Honestly, I think Bobby Beathard at least deserves to be mentioned as one of the best.

Think about it, he talked JKC into hiring a complete unknown named Joe Gibbs. Look at the replacement team he put on the field in 1987. You guys do remember beating the Pokes with a number of their players crossing the picket line?

I agree with this strongly, but it was actually Charley Casserly who assembled the '87 strike team, which is only a further testament to Beathard's genius: who else could've gotten that kind of production out of Casserly? Nobody, that's who. :)

I agree with this strongly, but it was actually Charley Casserly who assembled the '87 strike team, which is only a further testament to Beathard's genius: who else could've gotten that kind of production out of Casserly? Nobody, that's who. :)

Jeezus. Really? Holy crap! I swore it was Beathard. Now I've gotta change my whole opinion of Casserly. :doh:

Jerry West is among the best, though I think he's not what he was.

Oh and there was this guy named Red Auerbach. I heard he was pretty good.

Yeah, as soon as I posted this, I thought of Red.

I was thinking more of straight FO GM's instead of GM/Coaches. But you can't ignore Red.

On a related note, it's really sad about his passing away.

Jerry West and Red deserve some Praise. Currently, whoever's been GMing in Pittsburgh. They keep losing talent and almost always maintain their quality. Despite a really cheap owner, they've been pretty successful.

Worst: I actually believe Vinny Cerrato. Given how wide Snyder has opened the purse. It is indefensible how poorly we have performed since he has come. He either doesn't understand talent, needs, or psychology. Also, glaring needs are overlooked consistently. We never draft d end, for example.

You'd have to say at this point that Matt Millen is the worst, or maybe Jerrah Jones.

I'd like some good Jerry bashing as much as anyone else, but I don't think you can say him. The whole triplets thing was pretty money. He just took over then, right?

Millen could be the worst. I'm still gonna say Isiah is up there, though.

I'd like some good Jerry bashing as much as anyone else, but I don't think you can say him. The whole triplets thing was pretty money. He just took over then, right?

Millen could be the worst. I'm still gonna say Isiah is up there, though.

That was Jimmi Johnson

Red is the best hands down, followed closely by Jerry West.

Worst is Scott Cashman and whoever traded for Herschel Walker in the Vikings front office. The Vikings GM gave up five players, six conditional draft choices and a 1992 first-round pick for Herschel Walker in October of 1989. Two of those draft choices turned out to be Emmitt Smith and Darren Woodson and allowed the Cowboys to win 3 ****ing superbowls. :doh:

And oh yeah, Walker ended up back in Dallas a few years later.

Archived