Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Debate: Who's the Better Skins Fan (The Young Generation Vs. The Older Generation)

Commander_N_Chief

Well I'm not sure about you, but I was tired of all the "Lets Have Mark's Head" and "Next Year" threads; so lets have a little debate. Who's the better Redskin fan, the older or newer generation? Who's been more loyal? Who's been more vocal towards their feelings?

I may be a little bias, but I do believe the younger generation that has stayed loyal and believed are the greatest Redskins fans.

We're vocal, we don't mind stating how we feel.

We wont follow blindly into most things.

But my biggest reason for feeling this way is the fact that I have been a Skins fan since the day I've been born and have not really had much to gloat in besides the 91 superbowl(which I was only 4), as well as two playoff trips. But I have been a part of the Marty era, the Norv reign, and Spurrier.

I've never been able to enjoy in the superbowl atmosphere, or glory years. But yet have remained a fan who bleeds B&G, with faith that we can still turn this season around. Feel free to discuss.

:dallasuck

The old guys have proved their loyalty to the team and stuck with us through thick and thin. You could argue that after being at such a high, that having to watch the skins fall to such a low was hard.

Us young punks didnt get any glory years.

In conclusion, there is no better fan, there are just great fans.

I'll give you that the "newer" Skins fans, if they have hung around, are pretty loyal...

But I don't think you can simply classify it as "old" or "young" Skins fans...

I was 14 in 1986 when we had a hell of a good team and I cried "actual tears" all 3 times the Giants beat us that year. Yeah, the 80's and early 90's were "kind" to us Skins fans but that made the rare losses all that more difficult to take. Conversly, the "younger" Skins fans are somewhat "used" to losing, so it may not hurt them as much.

For myself, and the "older" fans around ES, we remember all too well being contenders each and every year, period! I think it is harder for us to realize our team isn't what it once was and therefore it could be argued that we are the more die hard fans.

But I know there are die hard "young" fans which I love to death, and die hard "older" fans which I love to death.

Actually, I think anyone that didn't experience the feeling of winning atleast 1 of the Superbowls under Gibbs is considered the younger generation.

Why? Because I think if you did, you have a little more patience opposed to those that never experienced it (SuperBowl)

But of course I could be totally nuts about what I just wrote :(

Because even some that did still want instant gratification. Not only from the team, but Gibbs as well.

But once your spoiled, your spoiled rotten :silly:

So I guess we're all greedy, including Snyder :cool:

I may be wrong, but I'll say the younger guys (I'm trying to see this as unbiased as possible) for two reasons:

1. We haven't been able to take much pride in a great team during our lives. It has been spent rooting for a losing team, and the memories are mainly Norv Turner, Marty, and Spurrier (I can still remember going to school at 0-3,0-4, and 0-5 under Marty, wearing my Skins jersey, and being harrassed). But we have stuck all through this, and won't be ready to die until we see a few Super Bowls.

2. From what I have seen on here (I cannot fully judge because I don't have the privilege of living up north) that a big reason for ****ing that we are losing is monetary. Who gives a damn if you paid $100 for a jersey and hundreds more for season tickets and we are doing bad - you get to have the pride of wearing that jersey - you get to have the privilege of going to FedEx Field on a Sunday...

These are my reasons for the younger generation, right or wrong as they may be.

But my biggest reason for feeling this way is the fact that I have been a Skins fan since the day I've been born and have not really had much to gloat in besides the 91 superbowl(which I was only 4), as well as two playoff trips. But I have been a part of the Marty era, the Norv reign, and Spurrier.

:dallasuck

Well I lived through the Bill McPeak, Otto Graham, Bill Austin and Jack Pardee era. Top that!!

As a Redskins fan, it is your duty to suffer. What does not kill you makes you stronger. Hail Redskins! And Hail Redskins fans - new and old!

i'm gonna have to agree with "sackmachine."

if you stick with the team then you are a loyal fan. i don't think it matters how old you are, because everyone has been through the last 10 years.

being a devoted fan can suck, but if you can call yourself devoted then you're okay in my book.

Both generations are great however the younger generation is a little spoiled:laugh:. I think last season spoiled them the slighest little thing bad happens they lose their minds. Things are bad right now no question but be patience it will get straighten out. I guess I could be consider an old fan or what do you consider old.

Lawd know this team has tested my patience in the 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's thus far but learned to have patience.

Can't we all just be Skins fans? Does it really matter? I consider myself an "older generation" fan(although I'm young in age:silly: ) but since I've been a fan of the skins for over 30y I feel I've graduated to the next level. There is good in both generations...I like the fact that I can remember the glory days...Its something I cling to in hopes of returning to that way of football life. The younger generation certainly don't hold their tongues...but thats due to age or lack thereof...they'll grow out of that. There are great fans in both generations...but if you've been a fan for more than 20y...you've paid your dues and have earned the right to be "a cut above".:) We're all cheering for the same things...Playoffs...SuperBowls...and most importantly BEAT DALLAS!

:helmet: :logo:

Archived