Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Debate: Who's the Better Skins Fan (The Young Generation Vs. The Older Generation)

Commander_N_Chief

im also 19 and i have no recollection of the 1991 super bowl. i dont know how you remember it.

i think it certainly takes a different kind of person to like a team early in life when they arent winning as opposed to some fans who start liking a team when they win a super bowl.

like my loser roommate. born and raised in NC... yet likes the ST LOUIS RAMS ... THE SAINT LOUIS RAMS!!! :laugh: because i guess he started watching the nfl when he was 12?? :puke: oh, and he likes the rams because torry holt went to NC State. hes the only die-hard torry holt fan on the face of the earth. sorry, torry, but no one at state even cares about you any more. but at least you have one outside of east missouri.

I'm not sure where I fall (maybe the older gen) but I kinda like a bit of both. I was alive but wasn't aware of the team's glory year in 82. I started following the team around 86/87 and haven't been able to quit since :).

The Older gen has their great points because they followed the team back when George Allen was the man and they are always good for teaching the younger folk about Skins history.

There is definitly an argument for both. Lets classify the differences in fans:

Young Generation -- started routing for the skins post Gibbs era.

Old Generation -- started routing for the skins pre Gibbs era. (me)

Generation x -- started routing for the skins during the Gibbs era.

Lets get generation x out of the way. Many of these fans could have started routing for the skins because they were winning, others because they just have burgandy and gold blood.

Older Generation -- have been through the good and bad and as stated stuck with the team after the fall from grace..............this was extremely difficult to do.

Young Generation -- many of the younger genration likes to route for a winner, i.e. the bandwagon fans normally come from this generations. So if you've stuck with the skins through the thick and thin and most has been thin than the older generation and generation x commends you.

I don't believe one is better than the other there are just great fans and bandwagonners that only want to route for a winner. Most of the ES'rs are great skins fans in one way or the other.

LETS CONTINUE TO BE GREAT FANS IN THESE HARD TIMES AND CONTINUE TO SUPPORT OUR TEAM, WHETHER THAT BE THE PLAYERS OR THE COACHES!

I don't know what generation I would be catagorized as. I know I can relate to the older generation a little better as I have taken the time to educate myself on Redskin teams of the past. I own more Skins footage of teams that played before I was born than anyone I know. I own books detailing the history of the team. All of which make me more and more passionate about the team I love.

I think more "New Generation" fans should do the same...

After looking at some of the posts I'm thinking I should have stated fans that have memories of 91 and before and those who really don't remember 91. Maybe that would make things easier to clearify who's old on these boards :P . Anyway to those that are upset about this thread...don't waste your time posting in it then. Atleast I'm not bashing anyone, or our team in a thread. I like many, like all skin's fans regardless of the generation they're from.

All of a sudden I really feel ancient. As I wring my old arthritic hands and pull my grey hair out while watching the struggles of the Skins, my long term memory still works pretty good and can remember the glory years. The only sage advise I can give the younger fans is that what counts is the JOURNEY not necessarily the outcome of each season. The struggle is what makes it so enjoyable. If it always were easy it would'nt be fun and no one would care. Anyone who puts on their Redskin shirt, young or old, is a great Redskin fan. :helmet:

You're not alone my friend. There a couple of us grey haired old farts here

that understand your wisdom.

Archived