Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Debate: Who's the Better Skins Fan (The Young Generation Vs. The Older Generation)

Commander_N_Chief

Being a long-time Redskins fan is just like being in a long-time marriage. Some of us have loyal to the Skins for 30+ years. Sure, there are times when other chicks/teams look good and you get jealous. Once in awhile, you're team wins (sex) and you enjoy the small victories. But the Super Bowls - and there have been a few - are GREAT... but they are too far and too few in between; but you never forget them :)

Unfortunately, there are a lot of down times when you just want to slap... err.. whine about the team :)

Of course, you can always leave your wife... err team... if it's too much. Unlike marriage, you don't have to pay alimony.

So the moral of the story is.... football will never sleep with your best friend.

Being a long-time Redskins fan is just like being in a long-time marriage. Some of us have loyal to the Skins for 30+ years. Sure, there are times when other chicks/teams look good and you get jealous. Once in awhile, you're team wins (sex) and you enjoy the small victories. But the Super Bowls - and there have been a few - are GREAT... but they are too far and too few in between; but you never forget them :)

Unfortunately, there are a lot of down times when you just want to slap... err.. whine about the team :)

Of course, you can always leave your wife... err team... if it's too much. Unlike marriage, you don't have to pay alimony.

So the moral of the story is.... football will never sleep with your best friend.

Cute analogy! I think one difference between "older" and "younger" fans is the way the team themselves have changed. Free agency made a big difference. It used to be a Skin was a Skin. Today it's more like a "dating" than a marriage - lots of hopping from bed to bed!:laugh: Or maybe more like an open marriage. Nobody stays married for a career any more! I think older and newer fans can both be just as loyal and be great fans. But there was just someting about it back in "those days".

I have never deviated from being a Redskins fan, the team plays for the city I am from and I have a lot of pride in them. I would never consider being a fan of another team, I would rather die. I have spent a lot of money on the skins going to games, practices, scrimmages, buying all sorts of gear- authentic jerseys, pillows, a big flag, and about a million other jerseys, hats, glasses, plates, assorted crap.

I have been rewarded with 2 trips to the playoffs and losing seasons the rest of the time.

An argument could be made that people like me are more die hard...we dont have any glory years...then again it wont mean anything because the older fans will bring up how many of the people in our generation are just punks and jump ship on the team to go follow the Ratbirds...therefore no generation is the better gen. of fans.

Well being a kid in the 80's I must say I was spoiled as a Skins fan. The Skins were such a big part of my life growing up, I can't imagine what it would have been like growing up with these pathetic teams. Not only were they winners, but they were genuine role models. Art Monk, Charles Mann, Monte Coleman, D.Green,etc, these were people I respected and they cared about the community. So I gotta give props to the youth for still cheering despite never seeing a winner. :2cents:

The "older" fans have seen more of the ups and downs of the Redskins the past 4 decades or so.

It doesn't make us better then the "younger" fans; just that we have been through so much, we are more patient when it comes to our team.

I can agree to that.

However.

Who the hell should care who thinks their the better fans? What the hell does it really matter? I could give a **** myself. We're all Redskins fans and it should stop there.

I think by Older and Younger generations... he meant pre and post internet. :silly:

:applause: Before the internet being a SKINS fan in Dallas was sooooo hard because we got so little information about our team. You REALLY had to love them to stay a fan.

The most loyal local fans are the ones that go off of their butts and welcomed the team home the other night.

While they are awesome......and include my best friend....I think those of us who live far away would be just as loyal if we lived where we could be there during the season. And I think those that are among those who went would tell you the same thing......they know I would be, as would others, if we could get there.

The "older" fans have seen more of the ups and downs of the Redskins the past 4 decades or so.

It doesn't make us better then the "younger" fans; just that we have been through so much, we are more patient when it comes to our team.

As patience is a virtue.

;);)

Blondie

I think the older your are these days, the more patience you exhibit and the less freaking out you do. It's not a matter of age, it's a matter of culture. Younger people these days live in a society of entitlements.

I'm owed an iPod.

I'm owed a six-figure income as soon as I'm out of College.

I'm owed my team to be in the Super Bowl every year, otherwise I'm owed money back from the team for the time I have "invested" in them.

I understand it's frustrating to see them making mistakes and doing things at a pace unlike other teams, but I do believe they'll right the ship. Believe me, it hurts me to see Defenders leave a Safety in the box because they know we either can't or won't go deep. It hurts me deeply to see this once-proud Defense in shambles. It also hurts me to see a dozen new posts daily about the same damn things over and over.

I'm owed the opportunity to show everyone my opinion, regardless how many other threads have been created exactly the same and how much I resemble a jackass.

I really didn't mean to cause a rift for the fans or anything, I just wanted to get everyone's opinion. This thread was spun-off from how the younger generation doesn't trust Gibbs, mainly because we haven't had much to trust in anyone. But that somehow spun-off and caused a who's more loyal and who's more of a fan conversation.

I bleed B&G, ever since the day I was born. I've stuck with them, and cheer until the very end of the game or I'm literally unable to speak. I scream when I'm at my house, at the game, or even at a resturant and run back and forth to my car for the score.

In the end I can agree with those that say young and old, male and female we are amazing no matter what era you come from! Now who's ready to taste some more victory. Bring on the cowgirls!

As an older fan, I did experience all 3 Super Bowl wins and it was great. But when I was a little kid the Skins always sucked. So when they did get good, it was appreciated that much more.

So for you young ones, you've experienced a bad team. But when the Skins rise to prominence, you will appreciate it that much more.

You cannot fully appreciate the good, if you've never experienced the bad.

you're still in diapers :)

I consider myself the younger generation.... I drink pepsi :silly:

Bubba...wishful thinking on OUR part. I guess we're the younger

generation to some, but not to most. :D

Oh, pass me another pepsi, please. :cheers:

To answer the orginal question, I'd say there are some great older and

younger generation fans. Still to many bandwagon fans of all ages.

All of a sudden I really feel ancient. As I wring my old arthritic hands and pull my grey hair out while watching the struggles of the Skins, my long term memory still works pretty good and can remember the glory years. The only sage advise I can give the younger fans is that what counts is the JOURNEY not necessarily the outcome of each season. The struggle is what makes it so enjoyable. If it always were easy it would'nt be fun and no one would care. Anyone who puts on their Redskin shirt, young or old, is a great Redskin fan. :helmet:

Why are we debating who is the better fan? Aren't we all fans! We should be talking about the team not who the better fan is. That is like saying who is the best player on the team. No one should do that either. It is a team sport not an individual game. As for who the better fan is why ask that. Aren't we both the younger crowd and the older crowd both routing for the same team. Of course this is a better thread than alot I have seen recently. IE... 2-14 a possible reality. Way to support the team and give up on them.

Why should we even judge something that none of us can control, when we were born? Just kinda bugs me, like people saying our country is the best and yours sucks when you had no control of where you were born etc... anyways...

Just enjoy the fact that you are a skins fan, enjoy your team, and enjoy cheering for the skins (for better or for worse) with your fellow extreme skinners/ redskin fans period.

IMHO, the "better" fans are the ones that stick with their teams, regardless of age.

GC

Archived