Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jim Webb uses own son to politicize Senate race

nelms

I knew there was something "dirty" about this guy. Now I know why - "But ask yourself, how many of them are risking their own kid?".

What a cheap shot. I commend his son for serving this country. But, I'd like to ask Mr. Webb how it is he is "risking" his own son. Did he make the decision for his son to serve and to go to Iraq? To bring his own son into this race is pathetic.

http://www.washtimes.com/metro/20061013-102852-1153r.htm

Allen's ads put Webb on defense

By Christina Bellantoni and Seth McLaughlin

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Published October 14, 2006

U.S. Sen. George Allen will reprise his role as a quarterback on the attack, while James H. Webb Jr. employs a defensive strategy in the final weeks before the election in Virginia's Senate race.

Mr. Allen, a Republican, will try to steamroll Mr. Webb, a Democrat, with a barrage of political ads before the Nov. 7 election.

The strategy has so far forced Mr. Webb to deflect a different issue each day, but Mr. Allen has been most effective pummeling the Democrat on taxes and social issues to rally his conservative base.

"Jim Webb, Hillary Clinton and their liberal allies in Washington don't want to give constitutional protection to traditional marriage," an announcer says on an Allen radio ad. "And if they don't share our values on something as basic as marriage, how can we trust them on any issue?"

The ad, which is running in rural parts of the state, is one of several that hit the airwaves this week to paint Mr. Webb as a liberal out of touch with Virginia values.

The Webb campaign fired back.

"All George Allen has left are lies," Webb spokeswoman Kristian Denny-Todd said. "The latest ad contains the baseless charge that Jim Webb wants to redefine marriage. Radio stations should immediately pull the ad."

Mr. Webb, who served as secretary of the Navy under President Reagan in 1987-88, is appealing to centrist Republicans and voters fed up with the Iraq war.

The decorated Vietnam War veteran is no stranger to a fight, and has surrounded himself with tough and seasoned Democrats, including former President Bill Clinton, Gov. Timothy M. Kaine and former Gov. Mark Warner.

"We have an administration that is telling us that the global war on terror is World War three or four, take your pick, and that Iraq is the central battlefront on the central war on international terror," Mr. Webb said at a recent campaign appearance in Dumfries, Va. "But ask yourself, how many of them are risking their own kid?"

Mr. Webb's son Jimmy, a 24-year-old lance corporal in the Marine Corps, is in Ramadi, one of the most dangerous regions of Iraq.

The Democrat's campaign said Mr. Allen's marriage ad includes the false claim that Mr. Webb "would like to change the definition of marriage."

Mr. Webb said that as a Christian, he thinks marriage should be between one man and one woman, but he plans to vote against the proposed amendment on the Virginia ballot because he thinks it takes rights away from all unmarried couples.

"We have a law right now that defines marriage," he said at a debate Monday night. "We don't need to ruin the Constitution."

Mr. Allen also is telling voters Mr. Webb would repeal President Bush's tax cuts, which forced the Democrat to run an ad rebutting the claim.

"Take a look in your wallet. Are you rich?" asks the Allen radio ad. "Jim Webb thinks you are. He thinks you don't need a tax cut. In fact, he thinks you aren't paying enough taxes."

Mr. Webb's ad responds: "George Allen's lying again. Truth is, Jim Webb's plan cuts taxes for middle class families and veterans."

Mr. Webb, who benefited from free publicity after numerous Allen missteps over the past two months, dismissed Mr. Allen's commercials this week as employing "Karl Rove" tactics and claims he is misquoted.

"What I've said is any tax breaks that benefit a large section of the American people, I am for," he told reporters Wednesday.

But Allen campaign manager Dick Wadhams responded: "It's pretty clear that Webb's refusal to agree to a 'no-new tax' pledge means what we all know, that he would join Hillary Clinton and Ted Kennedy in rolling back the tax cuts Senators Allen and Warner helped pass in 2001 and 2003."

Several elements of Mr. Bush's tax cuts are set to expire over the next few years if Congress does not renew them.

"We have an administration that is telling us that the global war on terror is World War three or four, take your pick, and that Iraq is the central battlefront on the central war on international terror," Mr. Webb said at a recent campaign appearance in Dumfries, Va. "But ask yourself, how many of them are risking their own kid?"

Um, I interpret that statement as saying "It's easy to make policy decisions to send people into harm's way when none of them are your family members or close friends." That seems pretty reasonable to me.

Um, I interpret that statement as saying "It's easy to make policy decisions to send people into harm's way when none of them are your family members or close friends." That seems pretty reasonable to me.

So, why didn't Clinton make sure Chelsea signed up to serve in Bosnia or Somalia?

So, why didn't Clinton make sure Chelsea signed up to serve in Bosnia or Somalia?

We were in Somalia how long? Were there any ground operations outside of special forces? Didn't we pull out as soon as the **** hit the fan? And Bosnia? Come on. I know for a fact there were no ground operations there. Just airstrikes. So there wasn't much Chelsea could have done if she was even of an age to do so.

We were in Somalia how long? Were there any ground operations outside of special forces? Didn't we pull out as soon as the **** hit the fan? And Bosnia? Come on. I know for a fact there were no ground operations there. Just airstrikes. So there wasn't much Chelsea could have done if she was even of an age to do so.

I'm sorry, are you using facts and logic to argue with nelms? Spare your keyboard the wear and tear. This is the guy who blames the Democrats for writing and passing Medicare part D.

that's how i interpret it.then again, i am one of those wacky liberals.

Couldn't she find some way to serve? Perhaps in the Air Force or in the Navy? Didn't Clinton routintely put our armed forces in harm's way? Not criticizing it, since that is the job of the commander-in-chief. But, using the Jim Webb logic, why is Bill Clinton immune from the same criticism he is doling out for Bush and his administration. When Chelsea was of age, why didn't she join one of the branches of the armed forces? Her father was putting the sons and daughters of other families in danger. Why not his own?

Couldn't she find some way to serve? Perhaps in the Air Force or in the Navy? Didn't Clinton routintely put our armed forces in harm's way? Not criticizing it, since that is the job of the commander-in-chief. But, using the Jim Webb logic, why is Bill Clinton immune from the same criticism he is doling out for Bush and his administration. When Chelsea was of age, why didn't she join one of the branches of the armed forces? Her father was putting the sons and daughters of other families in danger. Why not his own?

Who said Clinton was immune from the same criticism? You brought up that fake argument and now are fighting it – hahah. Most people probably think this is a good point in general. It is easy for ANYONE (democrat and republican) to make decision about military issues when no one in their family has their life on the line. Does this mean only politicians who have children in military can make decisions – no. But does that also mean that you can’t make this argument as a reason why you are better for the office in a time of war – no as well.

Oh, and good work. You have almost beat that straw man argument about Clinton that you created out of thin air. Good job man.

This thread is the essence of paradox. If one does not "politicize" a political race, then what is one to do, exactly? BTW, no where in there does it state that Jim Webb made the decision for his son. It's actually a legitimate point that he would take more of a special interest in Iraq since his son is in the service.

Because Clinton would never do that. He dodged the draft himself, and I don't think you would ever see Clinton encouraging anyone to join the military.

Jim Webb is different, and he has a son serving right now.

...I'm not sure what your complaint is nelms? Do you want the Webb campaign to take random shots at Clinton? Last time I checked, Clinton isn't President anymore, and Webb is running against George Allen and a federal government run by George W. Bush.

Ok. So let me summarize the liberal responses so far:

• Webb's criticism doesn't apply to Clinton because Somalia was a really, really, short conflict (forget about the American service men that were executed and dragged through the streets)
  • Webb's criticism doesn't apply to Clinton because Bosnia didn't really involve any ground forces, so Chelsea had no way of making any contribution to that military operation whatsoever.
  • Hey, this is a political race, so why not politicize it with one's own son. What, you have a problem with that?
  • This has nothing to do with Clinton (even though he was commander-in-chief for 8 years and is still an influential leader in the Commiecrat party, you know, the one that Webb has set up camp under, at least for now.

Ok. So let me summarize the liberal responses so far:

• Webb's criticism doesn't apply to Clinton because Somalia was a really, really, short conflict (forget about the American service men that were executed and dragged through the streets)
  • Webb's criticism doesn't apply to Clinton because Bosnia didn't really involve any ground forces, so Chelsea had no way of making any contribution to that military operation whatsoever.
  • Hey, this is a political race, so why not politicize it with one's own son. What, you have a problem with that?
  • This has nothing to do with Clinton (even though he was commander-in-chief for 8 years and is still an influential leader in the Commiecrat party, you know, the one that Webb has set up camp under, at least for now.

Let's summarize your point. You don't have a point, so you brought up someone who has nothing to do with Webb's behavior or statements. But you started the thread, and don't have a way out, so you had to do something, even if it wasn't relevant.

Marginalizing others is the way of almost all politicians and preachers. It is how they build a base and denigrade or exercise power over others, why should Webb's son be exempt from his lousy character?

And what's even funnier in that article is how Webb's people trash Allen for his "negative" ads. Yet, this low life turns around and uses his own son to score political points. Simply pathetic.

Because Clinton would never do that. He dodged the draft himself, and I don't think you would ever see Clinton encouraging anyone to join the military.

Clinton, Cheney and Bush all dodged the draft and Vietnam, they just did it different ways

Just wtf does that have to do with anything? Jim Webb is saying "my kid is serving" as a means of proving that he has a real stake in all this and frankly Nelms he has a good damn point. You have a problem with that and frankly you are trying to make us explain why it's ok - when in truth there is nothing at all wrong with it.

You make the case why it's wrong. It's his family, it's the truth, and there is no reason to think his son doesn't support his doing so.

Allen is so pathetic his handlers have hidden him so he doesn't do any more damage. When the guy running in the race has to hide that says a lot. If he wins I will consider it insulting as a Virginian that such a obvious moron and racist represents my state.

And what's even funnier in that article is how Webb's people trash Allen for his "negative" ads. Yet, this low life turns around and uses his own son to score political points. Simply pathetic.

James Webb is a fine man and is a highly decorated Marine Officer. He's served his country - and nearly given his life for it more than once. He's written great books. He's a thoughtful and courageous man. What have YOU done with your life that puts you in a position to call him a 'low life'?

Archived