Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Saunder's comments on Sportsnite

jwebst1

Hard for me to argue this given the way we've handled him. But for a talented guy for whom we gave up a 2nd rounder and who is a UFA after this year has publicly said that he wants to go somewhere where he'll play, I wish we could at least see what he could do for us before we part ways with him. Remember that Betts is a UFA after this season too. One of those guys needs to be back with us next season.

I dont think either one will be back with us next year. Otherwise, that would be a slap in the face to Rock Cartwright.

Maybe we could deal Betts to KC for Dante Hall. That way, we wouldn't need Rock to return kickoffs anymore, and we could just go with Portis and Duckett.

Oops, I guess that's a slap in the face too.

Well, maybe we could send James Thrash back to the Eagles, allowing Rock to be the 'other other' Kick Returner. That's more like a smack in the face.

I dont think either one will be back with us next year. Otherwise, that would be a slap in the face to Rock Cartwright.

Why would it be a slap in the face for Rock? He has a very well defined role now on special teams and running back kicks. Running the ball would be nice, but that would be icing at this point.

Look, Betts only got one carry in the game yesterday. There certainly wasn't room for Duckett to get carries, particularly since we were playing catchup for most of the game.

As it has been said, it doesn't matter who you have back there if the DL is having you for lunch. Too many runs went for negative yards yesterday.

Jason

Shhhh.... don't say that out loud! Least you give the coaching staff some ideas.

****! I would love to be TJ! See the game from the 50 yards, collect a huge paycheck, and do nothing! Life doesn't get any better than that!

Duckett was brought here, not because he's some force of nature on short yardage downs, but because the team wasn't sure how serious Portis' injury was and wanted some insurance.

I'm not saying he shouldn't have been used, just pointing out that I don't think the team ever envisioned him being the 'go-to' guy (under any circumstances) if Portis and Betts were healthy.

He was insurance, plain and simple.

So, now that we are reasonably sure that Portis is pretty healthy and so is Betts, is it crazy to think that we could maybe think to trade Duckett for what we need the most?

Duckett was brought here, not because he's some force of nature on short yardage downs, but because the team wasn't sure how serious Portis' injury was and wanted some insurance.

I'm not saying he shouldn't have been used, just pointing out that I don't think the team ever envisioned him being the 'go-to' guy (under any circumstances) if Portis and Betts were healthy.

If the team didn't have plans of incorporating Duckett into our system, they shouldn't have went after him. TJ Duckett is more than an insurance policy, he was effective in Atlanta, and he could be effective here if we just give him the chance.

This nonsense about Duckett not being able to adequately block, and play special teams, is a lame excuse to have him placed inactive on gameday.

I know this is a business, but that's just ethically wrong to Duckett. He's a free agent next year. With all that character coach Gibbs preaches, he should know better. Just my 2 cents.

Brunell had a wide open man in the flats on that play. Unfortunately, he locked in on Cooley and tried to force it to him.

And the whole Duckett thing... well, it looks like a complete disaster. Think of what the team invested in Duckett and Patten -- both of them were inactive yesterday. We really need to spread our money around more wisely.

I know this is a business, but that's just ethically wrong to Duckett. He's a free agent next year. With all that character coach Gibbs preaches, he should know better. Just my 2 cents.

I don't know if it's ethically wrong, but Duckett is handling it a lot better than anyone else in his situation would.

Here's my question. Knowing that a field goal in that situation wasn't going to help much -- we ended up missing it anyway -- why didn't they just go for it and fourth and one to try to pull to within six points instead 10, when you still needed two scores for a tie? The playcalling, sometimes, makes me scratch my head.

And to add to that, as much as I love Coach Gibbs, why is it still so hard to get a play in to the quarterback? We took (YET ANOTHER!) delay-of-game penalty because of that.

This had to be one of the all time disgusting games by the Redskins. There was no fire in the players to win. Hall screwed up an easy FG. Brunell made bad decisions. The O-line was horrific and our secondary is a joke.

Saunders play calling wasn't all that bad, it was the execution by the players that stunk up the field.

At the rate this team is playing, we'll be lucky to go 8-8. And don't go calling me a bad fan. I've been around this team longer than most of you people have been alive. I've seen it all, but this one goes near the top of my list as one of the worst games played by this team.

Ok i understand that Saunders said we have struggled on 3rd & 1's when running...thats fine. But this should have been 4 down territory. A FG didnt mean jack squat at that stage of the game...so what its 16-6 in the 4th qtr? even if we make the kick? Thats not gonna do much at the rate the Giants had been moving the ball the entire game. FG's were coming easy to them & thats all they need to ice it...one FG..which they got right after.

U run and hope to gain something on 3rd down and 1 and then you go for it on 4th and 1. If our o-line and RB's/scheme cant produce ONE FRIGGIN YARD over the course of TWO ATTEMPTS (3rd &1 and 4th &1) then we dont deserve to field a team. Down by double digits it was WORTH THE RISK at that stage of the game (unlike the Jags game when it was a tie game).

That situation was poorly coached, bottom line. Im not saying the entire gameplan was off...but THAT situation was poorly coached. End of story.

It's not ethically wrong. He's getting paid lots of money to watch football games, which is a huge step ahead of any of us. He's just going to bide his time and wait until FA this offseason.

I also don't criticize the trade to get him. This occurred two days after Portis' injury which we didn't know the severity of it, and if you'll recall Betts was also injured at the time. We simply didn't have any talent on the roster that could even be argued to carry the load beyond a game or two. There was solid thinking there but the regrets now are all based upon hindsight that we lacked at the time.

My complaint is that it's stupid on our part to simply let him go without seeing what we've got given what we gave up to get him. All I know is that historically he's one of the best RB's in the league in converting short yardeage runs into 1st downs/TD's based upon his % of success, and he's far better in that regard than Portis or anyone else.

Its ethically wrong in that it is affecting his ability to project his value as a FA next year.

He came into this year as the leading FA running back and after not playing a whole year - who knows what that will do to his value.

I cannot support that trade, it was a kneejerk reaction horribly so.

This team is not the type of team who needed Duckett that bad - the Skins were much closer to being a superbowl team last year.:2cents:

I was screaming this all day on Sunday!! OK so let's agree that the OL didn't get a push at all, which I agree with. However, with CP and Duckett you're telling me we couldn't get a push and 1 yard?!? Use one to open the whole for the other. I mean come on here, use Duckett for what he was brought here for.

Hail

Who gives a F if it is a slap in the face to Rock Cartwright??? Rock is the worst RB on the roster, why should he be above anyone in the depth chart? We are the Redskins, not the Rockskins.

Archived