Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Joe Torre fired per ESPN

Walking Deadman

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newyork/ny-bc-ny--yankees-torre1008oct08,0,5926.story?coll=ny-region-apnewyork

Report: Torre expected to be fired

October 8, 2006, 9:39 AM EDT

NEW YORK (AP) _ Yankees manager Joe Torre likely will be fired and replaced by Lou Piniella following another early exit from the playoffs, the New York Daily News reported Sunday.

According to sources the Daily News did not identify, Torre is expected to be fired unless he resigns first _ or team officials can talk owner George Steinbrenner out of making the move.

Did everyone think that Torre was a coaching God when he won 1 division title in 15 years with the Mets, Braves, and Cardinals? He was horrible, and he won in NY because of a payroll 2x that of nearly any other team.

In my opinion, he's not really that great.

He's a nice enough guy, but time for a new face in NY.

GO PHILLIES !!! I HATE THE YANKS !!!

Oh yeah, I wish the Phils had fired Manuel and hired Pinella. That would have been a great thing for my team.

Did everyone think that Torre was a coaching God when he won 1 division title in 15 years with the Mets, Braves, and Cardinals? He was horrible, and he won in NY because of a payroll 2x that of nearly any other team.

best skipper on gamedays, best strategist in late innings, best psychologist of millionaire tender egos, best buffer between players and an overbearing boss. what more do you want?

53 Bostic nailed it.

doubledeuce, anyone can fill out that lineup and bring Rivera into the 9th with a lead. You could train a chimpanzee to do it.

Whoever says he is the best something is smoking crack. The best managers are in the NL to start off with, because that's really where strategy comes into place.

Let's review, shall we:

2001: Lose to Arizona, World Series. Yes it was a game 7, but they lost 15-2 in Game 6, as well as home-run's off of Byung Yung Kim. Are 9th inning HRs the result of strategy?

2002: Lose to Anaheim Angels, 3-1, First Round of playoffs. The Angels were a Wild Card team.

2003: Lose to Florida Marlins, 4-2, World Series.

2004: Humiliated by Boston Red Sox after being up 3-0 plus blowing a lead late in the 4th game.

2005: Lose to Anaheim Angels, 3-2, First Round of playoffs.

Compare this to:

1996: World Series

1998: World Series

1999: World Series

2000: World Series

The Yankees prior to 2001 weren't as high spending either. Since 2000, the following $$$ players were brought in: Mussina, Giambi, Raul Mondesi, A-Rod, Kevin Brown, Sheffield, Hideki Matsui, Randy Johnson, Carl Pavano, Jared Wright, and Johnny Gamon.

Steinbrenner is an idiot. Torre didnt go 0-5 every game.

Joe Torre was the only good and decent thing about the Yankees. Maybe the Nats can get him!

This will be the start of the downfall for the yanks, i love it.

Torre wasn't the problem it is the owner.

This is a very similar argument to whether or not Phil Jackson is a good NBA coach.

I don't know a lot about baseball, but I think you have to give some credit to Joe Torre. The payroll argument is a convenient one... there are several teams that spend big money but suck every year.

I hope Torre does go somewhere else and prove everyone wrong.

This is a very similar argument to whether or not Phil Jackson is a good NBA coach.

I don't know a lot about baseball, but I think you have to give some credit to Joe Torre. The payroll argument is a convenient one... there are several teams that spend big money but suck every year.

I hope Torre does go somewhere else and prove everyone wrong.

I see where you're coming from and agree to a certain point.

But no one spends as much as the Yankees do. And, no one has the offensive talent they do.

I think Phil means more than Torre does. Then again, he's not even responsible for his vaunted triangle offense, that goes to his assistant, Tex Winer.

I dunno, I just think Torre isn't that great. Witness what he did with the Cardinals, Mets and Braves. NO ONE cares to look at what he did with those teams.

Whoever says he is the best something is smoking crack. The best managers are in the NL to start off with, because that's really where strategy comes into place.

Let's review, shall we:

2001: Lose to Arizona, World Series. Yes it was a game 7, but they lost 15-2 in Game 6, as well as home-run's off of Byung Yung Kim. Are 9th inning HRs the result of strategy?

2002: Lose to Anaheim Angels, 3-1, First Round of playoffs. The Angels were a Wild Card team.

2003: Lose to Florida Marlins, 4-2, World Series.

2004: Humiliated by Boston Red Sox after being up 3-0 plus blowing a lead late in the 4th game.

2005: Lose to Anaheim Angels, 3-2, First Round of playoffs.

Compare this to:

1996: World Series

1998: World Series

1999: World Series

2000: World Series

The Yankees prior to 2001 weren't as high spending either. Since 2000, the following $$$ players were brought in: Mussina, Giambi, Raul Mondesi, A-Rod, Kevin Brown, Sheffield, Hideki Matsui, Randy Johnson, Carl Pavano, Jared Wright, and Johnny Gamon.

so who should the nats go after for a skipper? that's all i care about; damn the yankees. if you say girardi or piniella, i'll buy that...

Archived