Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bush Attacks 'Party of Cut and Run'

@DCGoldPants

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/28/AR2006092801844.html

Bush Attacks 'Party of Cut and Run'

By Michael A. Fletcher

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, September 29, 2006; A12

BIRMINGHAM, Sept. 28 -- In his sharpest partisan attack of this election campaign, President Bush denounced Democratic critics of his Iraq policy on Thursday and said "the party of FDR and the party of Harry Truman has become the party of cut and run."

Seeking to rebut Democrats who say a new intelligence report indicates that Iraq is fueling terrorism rather than helping to counter it, Bush said voters face a choice "between two parties with two different attitudes on this war on terror."

Republicans "understand the nature of the enemy," he said. "We know the enemy wants to attack us again," whereas Democrats "offer nothing but criticism and obstruction and endless second-guessing."

Despite assertions in a recently declassified intelligence report that the war in Iraq has become "a cause celebre" that is inspiring new jihadists and fueling anti-Americanism, Bush restated his position that the country is safer since the March 2003 invasion of Iraq. Absent the war, he said, extremists would find other excuses to attack Americans and other Westerners.

He said that leaving Iraq before that country is stabilized would embolden terrorists while exposing the United States to economic blackmail and the prospect of even-more-lethal threats.

"The greatest danger is not that America's presence in Iraq is drawing new recruits to the terrorist cause," he said. "The greatest danger is that an American withdrawal from Iraq would embolden the terrorists and help them find new recruits to carry out even more destructive attacks on the American homeland."

Bush's remarks added fresh fuel to an escalating partisan fight over conclusions from the National Intelligence Estimate. Bush grudgingly released portions of the report on Tuesday after some of its contents were leaked to news media outlets.

The report, which was completed in April, says the number of potential terrorists is growing as the war in Iraq enflames radical Muslims and fans hatred of America. The assessment also says that although anti-terrorism efforts have been largely successful in crippling al-Qaeda, the overall terrorist threat is becoming more diffuse, making it harder to identify potential terrorists and prevent attacks.

The document concludes that the factors fueling the growth in jihadism outweigh its vulnerabilities, meaning the terrorist threat is likely to grow. The paper reflects the collective judgment of the nation's 16 intelligence agencies.

"George Bush has no credibility left on national security," said Senate Minority Leader Harry M. Reid (D-Nev.). "No matter how many stump speeches he gives on the campaign trail, the American people can see the damage his tough talk has done to America's safety."

Sen. Charles E. Schumer (N.Y.), who heads the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, accused Bush of ignoring key facts in the intelligence document. "When the president pays no attention to the findings of 16 nonpartisan, non-political intelligence agencies in our government, there's only more trouble ahead for our county and our soldiers," he said.

Speaking before a large and enthusiastic audience at a fundraising luncheon for Alabama Gov. Bob Riley ®, Bush attempted to turn criticism of his Iraq policy into a cudgel.

Bush quoted an unnamed congresswoman -- later identified by the White House as Rep. Jane Harman (Calif.), the top-ranking Democrat on the House intelligence committee -- as ridiculing Bush's frequent assertion that "we're fighting them over there so we don't have to fight them over here."

"We didn't create terrorism by fighting terrorism," Bush responded. "Iraq is not the reason why the terrorists are at war against us."

Bush also criticized many Democrats for not supporting his approach to trying terrorism suspects. Pointing to Wednesday's vote on a bill passed by the House authorizing military tribunals for the suspects, Bush reminded his audience that 160 Democrats -- "including the entire Democrat leadership" -- voted against the measure, which passed 253 to 168.

Opponents have said the measure is at odds with core American values because it would allow evidence gathered without a warrant or gained through coercion to be used against terrorism suspects. Plus, they argued, it could invite brutal treatment of U.S. troops captured abroad.

While the intelligence report painted a grim picture of the growing terrorist threat, Bush asserted that it also provided support for his administration's strategy for fighting it. The report called Iraq a pivotal battleground in the wider anti-terrorism effort -- a point Bush makes frequently. Also, the document said, extremism's lack of appeal to the vast majority of Muslims offers hope for victory.

Before coming to Birmingham, Bush visited nearby Hoover, where he was briefed on the use of corn-based ethanol to fuel that city's municipal fleet.

Later, Bush traveled to New Albany, Ohio, where he headlined a fundraiser for embattled Rep. Deborah Pryce ®. The event was at the sprawling estate of Leslie H. Wexner, chairman and chief executive officer of Limited Brands, the retailing conglomerate that includes the Limited, Victoria's Secret and Bath & Body Works. The event, which was closed to the press, was expected to raise $500,000 for Pryce.

As much as I think "Cut and Run" is a load of bull. Its sure catchy.

He never had credibility in your mind. You hated him from before he was President. No reason to pretend otherwise, demo-sheep.

Still, this "cut and run" bull**** is getting old fast. The republicans are going to continue with this crap until THEY decide it is time to leave. Then it will be "Mission Accomplished" again, I suppose.

Slogans over substance seem to work so I can't blame Bush for using them. If the dems were smart they'd stop wasting time trying to explain everything and come up with a few of their own.

"Party of broken promises" would be good and would really wound the republican faithful.

He never had credibility in your mind. You hated him from before he was President. No reason to pretend otherwise, demo-sheep.

:laugh: :laugh: You could at least buy me dinner first. :D

Have I ever said I "hate" Dubya? No, so don't try and put words in my mouth. In fact, I think George W. Bush is probably a nice guy who would be fun to drink a few beers with. Not a good President though.

Slogans over substance seem to work so I can't blame Bush for using them. If the dems were smart they'd stop wasting time trying to explain everything and come up with a few of their own.

"Party of broken promises" would be good and would really wound the republican faithful.

Best slogan ever" "Straight talk express." To me it's funny because to a political advisor, straight talk is an advertising gimmick rather than a way of life.

My favorite slogan is: "No Spin Zone" for Bill O'Reilly. :laugh:

That really is a kickass slogan, though. What is should say is "No Spin Zone, (except for me)". Think about how great the slogan has worked for O'Reilly, though. He's selling "The Spin Stops Here" doormats and "No Spin Zone" golf balls.

That really is a kickass slogan, though. What is should say is "No Spin Zone, (except for me)". Think about how great the slogan has worked for O'Reilly, though. He's selling "The Spin Stops Here" doormats and "No Spin Zone" golf balls.

People actually buy that crap? :laugh: Oh man I would looooove to see someone in public wearing a no spin zone jacket. :rotflmao:

As much as I think "Cut and Run" is a load of bull. Its sure catchy.
It's the Democrats' own fault really for being unable to articulate a consensus position on Iraq other than "bring the troops home."

This is not Vietnam where young men are being drafted by the thousands and sent off to war ... there's too many hippies out of street corners singing the same tune they were singing thirty years ago. The Democrats aren't going to be able to bring the troops home anyways, at least not without committing political suicide. It was Nixon who brought the troops home from Vietnam, and if anyone is going to pull it off this time around, it will be a Republican sounding an isolationist note.

Liberals should be asking for bigger government, more troops, and a stronger commitment to peace in the Middle East. I miss the Democrats of ten years ago who were clamoring for more troops to be sent to Somalia, Rwanda, and other humanitarian crises. I suppose Kerry technically ran on more troops, but he hedged significanly and unfortunately the liberal side is now stuck opposing the spread of democracy and human rights in Iraq. Not that the conservatives are in favor of those things because Bush's argument is more along the lines of protecting America's interests at all costs, but when we define the issue as pro-war vs. anti-war we miss the more important question of why we are fighting.

The war on terror should be a great opportunity for us to work with allies in the international community to solve the economic and social problems that are feeding terrorism by spreading capitalism, democracy, and human rights. Just like at the end of World War II, our interests in national security are actually aligned with helping weaker nations to develop and grow. There was a real opportunity for us to accomplish something following 9/11. Unfortunately, our debate has fallen to a much lower level ... "Bring the troops home" vs. "Cut and Run." Both good political slogans. Good for getting votes. Bad for getting anything done.

:laugh: :laugh: You could at least buy me dinner first. :D

Have I ever said I "hate" Dubya? No, so don't try and put words in my mouth. In fact, I think George W. Bush is probably a nice guy who would be fun to drink a few beers with. Not a good President though.

Of course think that because every time you post it is nothing but a partisan hackjob. You are the left version of AFC or Mass_Skins.

Don't like cut and run, never have. Not much of a slogan guy I guess.

But at least we have another thread where maybe we can learn what everyone thinks of Bush and the rest of the administration.

I am really hoping to hear what Chomerics, Midnight Judges, Air Force Cane, Sarge, etc think of the guy. If only Crazyhorse was still around then we could find out from him also.

Don't like cut and run, never have. Not much of a slogan guy I guess.

But at least we have another thread where maybe we can learn what everyone thinks of Bush and the rest of the administration.

I am really hoping to hear what Chomerics, Midnight Judges, Air Force Cane, Sarge, etc think of the guy. If only Crazyhorse was still around then we could find out from him also.

Don't forget Poland!!!! You want to know what Poland thinks too!!!!

It is an embarassment that our elected officials believe it is more important to impress the public, electorate with slogans, cleaver phrases, and finger pointing rather then debate the issues, problems our country is dealing with. The greatest Republic the world has ever known is crumbling from within and the people in charge don't have the slightest idea as how to address the problems

It is an embarassment that our elected officials believe it is more important to impress the public, electorate with slogans, cleaver phrases, and finger pointing rather then debate the issues, problems our country is dealing with. The greatest Republic the world has ever known is crumbling from within and the people in charge don't have the slightest idea as how to address the problems

I'll agree that sloganeering is a problem in politics today. What you have to remember though is that most of the electorate is either too stupid or too disinterested to follow actual policies, voting records, or actual plans to deal with issues.

"Slogan Campaigning", or sloganeering as I've heard it called, has simply come about because the one-liner is about as much information as the average voter can or chooses to digest. It's why I have no respect for the American voting population.

Archived