Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBC: Collins told Brunell it Takes at Least a Year to get Comfortable

actorguy1

here is a link to an article breaking down Saunders and the Cheifs before and after he arrived.

http://www.theredskinreport.com/2006/04/03/al-saunders-offense-a-closer-look/

I like the results, don't get too concerned about the scoring, he didnt have as many weapons in 2001 as he does now.

Thanks for the Link. Still kinda fishy, but we fans have to whine about something :silly:

I think it's important to remember that Collins first learned this offense after only a few years in the league, while Brunnell at this point has over 13 yrs. of experience--incl. 2 seasons with a Gibbs derivitive of a Coryell offense. I suspect the learning curve should be greatly accelerated for Brunnell than it was for Collins.

I didn't see the report on tv, and obviously I didn't witness the convo between Brunell and Collins...but I get the vibe that Brunell was making a wisecrack when he said what he said, not that he said it out of worry or concern...lol...and don't most new schemes and systems take about a year to learn?...It may simply mean that Saunders' scheme won't be able to be used to its full effectiveness for awhile.

Yeah. Its not like Brunell was asking if the season will be a success or not. We are far from ****ed.

It's tough to make the comparison though, since Trent Green was at quarterback for Vermeil/Saunders in St. Louis too.

That's true, but Saunders, Vermeil, Martz and Gibbs run the same offense; basically.

They all got their offenses watching tape of Gibbs and Coryell.

it may take a year to master the offense, but it also helps when you have a steller defense. i would like to know that brunell has a handle on the playbook right now, but obviously he will make mistakes. the difference though between KC and us is that even if we have some set backs adjusting to it, we have a steller defense to rely on.

I don't think the team will dump the successful plays from last year. Because the terminology is so similar, I think Saunders can incorporate a lot of what worked from last year and add onto that as the year progresses.

Plus, if we get to halftime in the first or second game and our offense is a mess, we can always go back to 40 or 50 gut and some WR screens and let our defense win the game for us.

Plus don't forget in that second game we only need our offense to work for, what, 4-5 minutes or so? :dallasuck

I don't see us being an offensive powerhouse in the first half of the season. But I like our chances as far as turning up the points in December, January, and February when it counts.

I've posted a number of times about this concern. No matter what anyone says about "similarity to Gibbs' scheme," this is a new system. It's gonna take some time and in our division, it's going to take some wins off our our season record. We should be prepared to endure at least some early grumblimg from eachother and I'm sure some ridicule from the trolls. I love our talent, I love our coaches but this will indeed be another learning process. We may have to once again win 5 straight to finish the year and get into the postseason. Brunell's first season under Gibbs wasn't something I expect to revisit, but we may see new growing pains and shouldn't get to panic-stricken if we do.

Archived