Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBC: Collins told Brunell it Takes at Least a Year to get Comfortable

actorguy1

What utter b.s. this is. It's just laughable.

Why?

Because Collins was on Comcast saying the same thing to Kelli Johnson around a week ago.

Yup, that's right. He was saying it on television for anyone to hear on Sportsnite.

Yet Andrea Kramer tries to pass it off as some inside, secret knowledge obtained covertly.

Ummm, somebody's been embellishing her stories a little bit. I'm not surprised it's her either, because she's always seemed a little creepy and shady to me.

I mean, c'mon, like that would be the exchange Brunell and Collins would be having? It sounds *so* made up. And then somebody supposedly "overheard" this?

Whenever you read about people "overhearing" concise little nuggets like that, it means it's total b.s.

As for what Collins *actually* said in his comments to Kelli Johnson on Comcast, he basically said it takes a year to fully absorb the terminology. He said Brunell in particular has already run a lot of these plays in his career, but that it's all just named different in this offense. He said he thought Brunell would pick it up very quickly.

He in no way said the offense is unlearnable in under a year. He just said full absorption of the 700 page playbook takes a year, but that we won't need to know it all this season. He insinuated they'll know enough this year to be successful.

It's kind of irrelevant. We don't need a great passing game...we just need to be better. Pitt was great throwing the ball last season. Neither was Tampa or New England when they won their titles.

We have an excellent defense and a terrific run game. The specials look like they will be solid. Are we going to be the 99 Rams with the passing game? No. But incidently the 99 Rams were the 99 Rams in Martz's first year of his offense. With a backup QB too.

I'll take terrific personnel/coaching in the first year of a scheme over decent personnel in Year X (see Eagles).

but, Saunders system and Gibbs are fundamentally the same, especially the terminology

Brunell will be fine :)

Exactly.....Lets say they duplicate what KC did in Saunders first year....they were only 16th in scoring offense. Remeber that KC's defense was horrid so they could not get the ball back to the offense. More important is that they were 6th in rushing, that keeps the offense on the field and with our defense, 16th in scoring will be plenty.

Let's not forget, you can win WHILE learning a system. There is a lot of similar terminology, so that shouldn't be a problem. The biggest issue will be the timinig with the WRs, but that's what preseason is for.

I think we'll be fine even if Brunell doesn't have the system totally down.

Hail,

H

I've heard Gibbs, Sanders and some of the players say that the new system includes quite a bit of the old system. Mark is a proven veteran, so I think he'll be OK.

As little as 5 years ago seems, they were not going full bore during the offseason just yet. That started about 3 years ago, and while its called "voluntary" most teams have put enough pressure on the players to cooperate fully. In March, Mark Brunell was working on that playbook, studying film, thats 6 months folks. So he is half way there already according to Collins, and he has started and played in more games then Collins could ever dream about.

Why is Collins all of a sudden an expert on how long it takes to learn an offense? He probably only took about 30% of the snaps during practice and in the preseason games his first year in the offense since he was 2nd or 3rd string, Mark is getting probably about 80% in practice, again since March.

Mark Brunell will be just fine, and I would look for our season ratio of run to pass to be somewhere close to 60-40. Al does not need to score 30 a game to get a win, we have a very good defense, remember? Once we get a lead in games the opposing teams are gonna get a heavy dose of Clinton and Betts.

Sure, if Brunell had a full year in the system under his belt, our offense would be ALOT better this year than it will be. But Brunell still IS a veteran QB and our defense is still ROCK SOLID. Even with growing pains, we should still have a successful year.

Reguardless of what happens this year, Campbell will have a year under his belt if he starts next year. If not, we've got two old guys in Brunell and Collins who should be servicable. Its not ideal, but this is the best thing long-term.

A little blurb about an hour ago from, I believe, Anderea Kramer. It was in regards to an "overheard" conversation between Collins and Brunell. Brunell it seems, asked Collins, how long it took to get a handle on Saunders offense. Collins response was...about a Year. Brunell responds...Thats great, I've got about three weeks. :doh:

I was always a little worried about this. Anytime you install a new offense there are tremondous growing pains. Just hope they can smooth out the wrinkles sooner than later.

In that case, why not start Collins while Brunell is learning the offense?

I'm less concerned about Brunell then the Offensive line. The blocking scheme is changing quite a bit. We'll see. We have a lot of veterans with a lot of experience. I'm sure the changes are being phased in. All should be good to go come the start of the regular season

Don't forget that journeyman QB Kurt Warner did all right during his first year in that offense in 1999, and that Trent Green was lighting it up in the preseason in 1999 before he went down to that knee injury. I'm not concerned about Brunell's learning curve here; I would be concerned about Campbell's if he was our starter.

Mark Brunell enjoys a good challenge here and there. And this will definitely be one that can make or break his career.

I, personally, believe that Mark will do very well in the new system. It may take a couple weeks before the season, but by the time Monday Night Football rolls around, Mark will be "Ready for some football."

The problem for the Redskins is the quarterback position definately, because Brunell is going to by 36 soon. I am concerned about what is going to happen when Brunell retires because its not entirely clear that either Campbell or Todd Collins can step in to replace him. Also, Collins at 35 is no spring chicken either.

Archived