Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBC: Collins told Brunell it Takes at Least a Year to get Comfortable

actorguy1

A little blurb about an hour ago from, I believe, Anderea Kramer. It was in regards to an "overheard" conversation between Collins and Brunell. Brunell it seems, asked Collins, how long it took to get a handle on Saunders offense. Collins response was...about a Year. Brunell responds...Thats great, I've got about three weeks. :doh:

I was always a little worried about this. Anytime you install a new offense there are tremondous growing pains. Just hope they can smooth out the wrinkles sooner than later.

A little blurb about an hour ago from, I believe, Anderea Kramer. It was in regards to an "overheard" conversation between Collins and Brunell. Brunell it seems, asked Collins, how long it took to get a handle on Saunders offense. Collins response was...about a Year. Brunell responds...Thats great, I've got about three weeks. :doh:

I was always a little worried about this. Anytime you install a new offense there are tremondous growing pains. Just hope they can smooth out the wrinkles sooner than later.

If things don't start clicking by halftime week 1, Saunders will make adjustments and its not like this is a completely new scheme but more of a mix between the two playbooks.

I think its a valid concern. On the other hand, I kind of like the idea that Mark's a little out of his comfort zone - he has to perform and master this system, and quickly. He's got a #1 draft choice the team soon or later has to determine the quality of breathing down his neck, and a solid veteran who IS comfortable with the system in the mix as well. That all means Brunell better give us everything he's got. Unlike Ramsey, who always seemed to press and be distracted by pressure, I think Brunell's the kind of guy who thrives on it.

It may have taken a while for Todd Collins to learn the offense, but let's not forget the possibility that since Mark is a better player he could also be a faster learner.

Of course, he could also be a slower learner with better physical skills than Collins...:whoknows: I take this very lightly is all I'm saying. There's no formula to all of this.

It may have taken a while for Todd Collins to learn the offense, but let's not forget the possibility that since Mark is a better player he could also be a faster learner.

Of course, he could also be a slower learner with better physical skills than Collins...:whoknows: I take this very lightly is all I'm saying. There's no formula to all of this.

I agree, of course it took Collins a year...he never got in the game.

I didn't see the report on tv, and obviously I didn't witness the convo between Brunell and Collins...but I get the vibe that Brunell was making a wisecrack when he said what he said, not that he said it out of worry or concern...lol...and don't most new schemes and systems take about a year to learn?...It may simply mean that Saunders' scheme won't be able to be used to its full effectiveness for awhile.

What was KCs offense rank Saunders first year there?

I don't remember their rank, but I think I read somewhere that they were 6-10? Maybe 8-8, I can't remember.

I thought about this too the other day in that, it usually takes a year for a system to be in place and everyone be comfortable with it. With that being said, should we be looking, dare I say, as NEXT year being the year for us? I hope not, because I really feel that we can go 13-3, 12-4 this year and be a force.

Then again, if the O-line falls apart we coud be looking at 7-9.

Keep thinking positive thoughts.....keep thinking positive thoughts....keep thinking positive.....

Every team's playbook gets installed gradually over the course of the year except maybe for when the entire unit (particularly at the skill positions) has no young players or new faces and has been together a while (a real rarity in today's NFL with free agency).

Saunders, who's no noob to NFL coaching is very aware of this and is I'm sure taking steps to ensure that what he's installing is being understood.

RNK NAME YDS YPG RUSH RUSH YPG PASS PASS YPG PTS PTS/G

4 Kansas City 6000 375.0 2378 148.6 3622 226.4 467 29.2 ----(2002)

2 Kansas City 5910 369.4 1929 120.6 3981 248.8 484 30.3 ----(2003)

1 Kansas City 6695 418.4 2289 143.1 4406 275.4 483 30.2 ----(2004)

1 Kansas City 6192 387.0 2382 148.9 3810 238.1 403 25.2 ----(2005)

Unfortunately, i couldn't get the stats for 2001, but these numbers speak for them selves. And remember this was done with less talant than the Skins.

RNK NAME YDS YPG RUSH RUSH YPG PASS PASS YPG PTS PTS/G

4 Kansas City 6000 375.0 2378 148.6 3622 226.4 467 29.2 ----(2002)

2 Kansas City 5910 369.4 1929 120.6 3981 248.8 484 30.3 ----(2003)

1 Kansas City 6695 418.4 2289 143.1 4406 275.4 483 30.2 ----(2004)

1 Kansas City 6192 387.0 2382 148.9 3810 238.1 403 25.2 ----(2005)

Unfortunately, i couldn't get the stats for 2001, but these numbers speak for them selves. And remember this was done with less talant than the Skins.

refer to my link below. KC in 2000 before Saunders and 2001 after his arrival.

http://www.theredskinreport.com/2006/04/03/al-saunders-offense-a-closer-look/

Saunders, who's no noob to NFL coaching is very aware of this and is I'm sure taking steps to ensure that what he's installing is being understood.

"Noob to NFL coaching"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I am ashamed to find that as funny as I do. :geek:

Edit: Also remember guys, Trent Green came over to KC in 2001 already knowing the offense. I said that already, but I think it's worth noting. That makes the comparison a little more hazy. I don't have any doubt about Brunell's ability to pick it up, but even Green had a 71 rating his first year in KC.

I didn't see the report on tv, and obviously I didn't witness the convo between Brunell and Collins...but I get the vibe that Brunell was making a wisecrack when he said what he said, not that he said it out of worry or concern...lol...and don't most new schemes and systems take about a year to learn?...It may simply mean that Saunders' scheme won't be able to be used to its full effectiveness for awhile.

:point2sky Bingo...Brunell is the Joker in the deck...

Al Saunders would not start Brunell if he couldnt get the job done. The coaches know what they are doing..BELIEVE, Stop always worrying about little things that the coaches are paid for handling.

Notice, Brunell asked him how long it took to get COMFORTABLE, not learn it. :D

Archived