Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYDN: Jets interested in Betts

Dirk Diggler

We're talking about our #2 back, and our primary kick off returner here. You think we should unload that before the season starts, and get a 2nd round pick? The guy that Al is raving about, and wants to give an increased role in our offense that Ladell has been learning all this time. This just blows my mind, that's absolute insanity. Special teams is so important, and having a 2nd back is absolutely necessary even if Portis doesn't get hurt. Unless you want CP getting 40 carries a game and being worn out by week 12. Stop the nonsense, it's a bad move.

I'm not 100% sure what you meant by that (e.g. if you were trying to be funny, etc.), but at the same time I think it's a good idea if we left these types of comments out of the conversation.

After seeing the pain L.C. was going through on Oprah, you have to feel for the guy.

(carry on....I wasn't intending by any means to hijack the thread).

Sorry, I don't watch Oprah.

Of course, the Jets want Betts. He's head and shoulders above the guys they have now.

:laugh: :doh:

How is he better than Cedric Houston or Derrick Blaylock? He's never carried the ball more than 100 times in a season and he's only scored five TDs in four seasons. No, if a trade goes down the most you'd be getting from the Jets is a mid-to-late round pick.

This trade is not going to happen. Maybe next season, not this season. Saunders is high on Betts and he's really our only backup runningback. Rock has fumblitis and Lumsden is a practice all-american. He has done nothing in the NFL. We need Betts to spell Portis, or if the unthinkable happens that I'm not even going to mention. This is B.S. The NYDN is a rag.

This trade is not going to happen. Maybe next season, not this season. Saunders is high on Betts and he's really our only backup runningback. Rock has fumblitis and Lumsden is a practice all-american. He has done nothing in the NFL. We need Betts to spell Portis, or if the unthinkable happens that I'm not even going to mention. This is B.S. The NYDN is a rag.
You have judged Lumsden based on nothing but a good showing thus far and before he has even played his first pre-season game with us. :doh:

I personally feel that Al Sanders might be able to put Betts pass catching abilities to good use. Betts coming out of college was a pretty good pass catching back. The Skins haven't really utilized him in that fashion a lot.

That being said, if the Skins can get a bonafide good O-lineman from the Jets, go ahead.

Betts will be a FA next season so we're not trading him then. Any way you cut it, Betts will not be a Redskin next season unless we throw a big contract at him. We either trade him now and get something in return. Or we keep him for one year and get nothing for him next year.

Trading Betts now is a nobrainer if we get an offer for anything of value for him. I'd trade him for a solid backup offensive lineman in a heartbeat.

you don't deal a strength only to then create another hole :)

if you trade Betts then our depth at RB comes into question.

the only way I see this happening if Lumsden impresses the staff enough to think he can be an every down back in the NFL in the preseason and that the club can afford to trade Betts for an OL or perhaps a LB.

Betts is in the final year of his contract and will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.

Of course Gibbs could have gotten a #2 pick for Patrick Ramsey last summer but held onto him for depth and eventually dealt him only for a #6 pick, so you can see how important backup players are when Gibbs can find them.

What about the fact the Rock has been a more than competent #2 almost every time he's got the chance? Reading this thread, I'd get the idea there's a huge drop-off between Rock and Betts and my memory/stats say on-the-field performance was pretty close, advantage to Betts.

Now maybe that difference will grow as Al seems to be enamored of him and says he will use him more. Unless we have been pimping Betts from the beginning, as he will want significant money next year (doubt it, but Gibbs can be pretty snaeky-clever in an always-good-Christian way :D ).

I posted similar on this matter over a month ago, just thinking out loud. Just to play out the scenario: with Clinton, then Rock at #2, and Jesse/Nemo/Carter vying for #3, and some FB runs to cut wear and tear, does not even a good player like Betts become fairly dealable, especially when he's gonna want big money for #2 role next year anyway?

Solid offensive line depth to me is more important to me than depth at running back.

I'm adhering to what I've seen in Denver where their offensive line makes their running backs better.

You have judged Lumsden based on nothing but a good showing thus far and before he has even played his first pre-season game with us. :doh:
Betts will be a FA next season so we're not trading him then. Any way you cut it, Betts will not be a Redskin next season unless we throw a big contract at him. We either trade him now and get something in return. Or we keep him for one year and get nothing for him next year.

Trading Betts now is a nobrainer if we get an offer for anything of value for him. I'd trade him for a solid backup offensive lineman in a heartbeat.

Exactly. Who is speculating Lumsden is going to leapfrog ahead of Rock anyway? Calm down, Jesse will be lucky to start ST. We have 5 times the possibility to lose a starting OL than CP or MB. With no experienced depth, RB production will suffer and our QB will get knocked into the clinic.

Our rookie OL depth will take as much time to develop as a QB. We need to bolster depth now. The step-down from Betts to Rock is not nearly as great as between CP and Betts. Lets get something for him while we can. He knows he is capable of starting, but not ahead of CP. He's a good back and deserves a starting shot and $$$ somewhere.

What about the fact the Rock has been a more than competent #2 almost every time he's got the chance? Reading this thread, I'd get the idea there's a huge drop-off between Rock and Betts and my memory/stats say on-the-field performance was pretty close, advantage to Betts.

Now maybe that difference will grow as Al seems to be enamored of him and says he will use him more. Unless we have been pimping Betts from the beginning, as he will want significant money next year (doubt it, but Gibbs can be pretty snaeky-clever in an always-good-Christian way :D ).

I posted similar on this matter over a month ago, just thinking out loud. Just to play out the scenario: with Clinton, then Rock at #2, and Jesse/Nemo/Carter vying for #3, and some FB runs to cut wear and tear, does not even a good player like Betts become fairly dealable, especially when he's gonna want big money for #2 role next year anyway?

Amen brother.

I think Betts might be a goner... seems awfully fishy about how well hes been talked about this off season... kinda sounds like inflating ones value... plus hes a FA next yr anyway... get a pick for him and let Lumsden, Nemo or Rock prove something!!

Its' not a guarantee that Betts is gone next year. People have been saying they would pick him up for 2 years now and he still is a Redskin. David Garrard of the Jaguars has been hailed the best back up QB in the league. Every year somone is "supposedly " about to sign him, but he ends up staying every year. Teams don't go after backups to try and make them starters in free agency, they go after starters. The only time they do it is during circumstances like the Jets are faced with currently. Injuries!

The trade won't happen! Betts will be resigned next year!

Archived