Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYDN: Jets interested in Betts

Dirk Diggler

God, I hope we don't trade Betts.

The article also said, "Barring injury or implosion, Pennington will be the opening-day starter. The bigger question is the No.2 job. Patrick Ramsey has disappointed, leaving the door open for rookie Kellen Clemens and veteran Brooks Bollinger."

Not to hijack the thread, but I thought you might find that interesting.

I found that very interesting Rocky. I can't believe that Ramsey is stinking up the joint and pre-season hasn't even started yet. :doh:

On a side note, that Ramsey trade just might make the Jets think twice about trading with us again. :whoknows:

The Jets appear to have a lot of youth on the OL, though not much quality experience. sorry the format is messed up, i had to transcribe myself.

Pos. Name Ht. Wt. age exp.

C Norm Katnik 6’4” 280 25 2

C Charles Missant 6-3 295 25 1

C Nick Mangold 6-4 300 22 R

G Brandon Moore 6-3 295 26 4

G Pete Kendall 6-5 292 33 11

G Doug Nienhuis 6-6 307 24 2

G Isaac Snell 6-6 288 24 1

OL Pete McMahon 6-8 330 24 1

T Adrian Jones 6-5 296 25 3

T Marko Cavka 6-7 294 25 1

T Anthony Clement 6-8 320 30 9

T D’Brick. Ferguson 6-6 312 22 R

T Ed Blanton 6-9 330 23 R

T/G Steve Morley 6-7 330 24 2

We lose a lot in Betts if we trade him now. He's not only our 2nd RB, he's our primary kick returner. It would be nice to get some value from him considering we may not be able to keep him in that role, as another team will probably pay him starting RB money. Just sounds like a gamble to let go of all that production we'd lose this year. Gibbs wouldn't attempt trading for any unproven lineman just to add depth, we may end up just losing our depth at RB and no upgrade on OL. I dont see the Jets letting go of a starting lineman to get a running back, wouldn't make any sense. I say we stay where we're at and possibly pick up depth at OL when teams make their cuts.

I've been pimping Betts to the Jets for the last two years. Glad to see NFL front offices finally catching up to my expert analysis ;).

Heck yea. Were you the one who started the "Lets trade Betts to the Jets?"

I wouldn't take a pick under a No. 2. A first would do wonders.

Betts was a 2nd round pick so that is where negotiations begin. I'm not crazy about any of the Jets Offensive Linemen and any talk concerning D-Brick is just plain silly. We would probably have to turn around and trade that 2nd round pick to another team for a guy who can play both Guard and Tackle.

I'd hate to see Betts go but he's in the last year of his contract and is gonna want (a) to start somewhere -- ain't gonna happen here -- and (B) more money. Our other RBs have shown some promise in TC so we seem to have some depth there.

Also, we NEED quality OL and this would be one way to snagging someone for depth. Particularly at LT and C.

Win-win situation, IMO.

I agree that Betts is definitely gone after this season. He is going to want to pull a Chester Taylor and be the #1 somewhere which he has every right to do. So how much is he worth as insurance this season considering we will receive nothing for him when his contract is up? Also, could Saunders have been pumping him up all offseason just to increase his trade value? Things that make you go hmmm.

Betts is hardly irreplacable. While he is a nice player to have, I would trade him in a milisecond for proven Oline depth provided the coaches feel Rock/Lumsden could get the job done. But I'm sure they will want to see a few preseason games first. It's going to be difficult to showcase Betts during the preseason while at the same time getting a good look at Lumsden and Rock.

The Jets are not a very good trade partner for Oline depth unless they dangle Pete Kendall who can play any interior line position. However, they do have some pretty good 4-3 Dline depth at their disposal now that they are switching over to a 3-4. DE Bryan Thomas is an interesting player who is a poor fit as an OLB but would make a wonderful 4th or 5th end. Greg Williams himself said that the ideal situation is to have 8 defensive lineman who can play 30 snaps each and Thomas would get us closer to realizing that goal.

here is what the Jets could offer us http://www.newyorkjets.com/player/show_active_players/number/asc?page=4

No way we get Ferguson, even if we offered Samuels and Betts they wouldnt take that (not that we would want to). If we can get good value it is definately worth it. Betts is still only a backup for us, and we are capable RB without him, he is going to be leaving at the end of the year anyway, Jets should be a little desperate to get a RB so we should get good value, hopefully a(n) (early) 2nd round pick which we could use to draft a CB to replace Springs in a year.

We can't trade Betts, he is our #2 RB. If the want one of our backups, trade Rock.

Trade Rock? That would be messed up we just re-signed him!Lol... Besides Rock is our special teams ace.

Like sombody said earlier, why would we trade Betts? We'd get a 7th round pick or 6th round pick and be stuck with Mr. Canada and Rock.

I doubt we'll see much of Portis against the Bengals so I think that would be a perfect time to showcase Betts, IF he's totally healthy. If Ladell gets a quarter and a half worth of work, especially with a good portion of it being with the starting O-Line, I'd have to think that's exactly what the coaching staff was doing.

I'm not crazy about the prospect of losing Betts but if we could somehow improve our O-Line in the process, I'd think long and hard about it.

here is what the Jets could offer us http://www.newyorkjets.com/player/show_active_players/number/asc?page=4

No way we get Ferguson, even if we offered Samuels and Betts they wouldnt take that (not that we would want to). If we can get good value it is definately worth it. Betts is still only a backup for us, and we are capable RB without him, he is going to be leaving at the end of the year anyway, Jets should be a little desperate to get a RB so we should get good value, hopefully a(n) (early) 2nd round pick which we could use to draft a CB to replace Springs in a year.

We should trade for Patrick Ramsey and Laverneaus Coles and start both of them all the time in the preseason just to p*** Coles off then trade them to the 49ers.

Regardless of the fact that Betts is in the final year of his contract with us and will likely be gone next year, we have to take into consideration the state of the franchise. The bottom line is that the Washington Redskins are legitimate contenders for the NFC title this season. With that being said, I say that you keep Ladell Betts and milk him for all he's worth this season in an effort to get to the Super Bowl. Betts starting at RB in a pinch in a critical game is a far more comfortable situation as opposed to having a relatively unproven Cartwright or highly unproven Lumsden fill that role. Why put yourself in a potentially dangerous situation with less developed players at #2 RB when at this point you already have that situation under control?

Is Betts the difference between us winning the NFC and not winning the NFC? Certainly not. On the other hand, he is an asset worth keeping to help you make a push in a black and blue NFC East division.

For people who are holding back saying, "what if Portis gets injured?" well what if Samuels or Jansen or Thomas get injured, then it wont matter if CP is back there because he wont be able to get as many yards, and Brunell will feel more pressure. Obviously, its all about being able to shop Betts, and seeing if Rock and Jessie can perform in pre-season, I would like to see all three get a some kind of action on 1st team, and if we can get value in the deal if there is one.

The Redskins would never weaken themselves this year for a draft pick next year. It's just not thier philosophy. We saw that years ago when they wouldn't pull the trigger on a Ramsey deal back when they could have had a high draft pick even though they all but knew Gibbs was not starting him. Betts is one play away from being the starting RB plus Saunders has been talking about using him more even with a healthy Portis. This is just a NY tabloid story with no merrit.

Regardless of the fact that Betts is in the final year of his contract with us and will likely be gone next year, we have to take into consideration the state of the franchise. The bottom line is that the Washington Redskins are legitimate contenders for the NFC title this season. With that being said, I say that you keep Ladell Betts and milk him for all he's worth this season in an effort to get to the Super Bowl. Betts starting at RB in a pinch in a critical game is a far more comfortable situation as opposed to having a relatively unproven Cartwright or highly unproven Lumsden fill that role.

Is Betts the difference between us winning the NFC and not winning the NFC? Certainly not. On the other hand, he is an asset worth keeping to help you make a push is a black and blue NFC East division.

CH, you definitely make a great point but if Samuels or Jansen or another starter goes down then how effective would our running game really be? If there's no blocking for the passing game then we likely won't have much of a running game either.

Needless to say, I'm kind of on the fence over this. Ideally, I'd prefer to have my cake and eat it to. I'd like to keep Betts AND beef up the O-Line but if the Jets make an offer you can't refuse.......

If we can get a solid player for him, most likely a lineman (obviously not top tier), then I say pull the trigger. We're stacked at RB, although truthfully I don't know the terms of Betts' contract. If he has only one more year, why not? We seem to always get the better of the Jets in trades.

:applause: IE. The Laverneus Coles trade for Santana Moss combined by 1,483 yards receiving, 7td's, a playoff victory and a pro-bowl berth. Who knows! maybe D'brickashaw Ferguson will underperform and we'll be looking to trade for him in the next four years. Only Wishful thinking! :point2sky

CH, you definitely make a great point but if Samuels or Jansen or another starter goes down then how effective would our running game really be? If there's no blocking for the passing game then we likely won't have much of a running game either.

Needless to say, I'm kind of on the fence over this. Ideally, I'd prefer to have my cake and eat it to. I'd like to keep Betts AND beef up the O-Line but if the Jets make an offer you can't refuse.......

Jimbo,

I hear ya. It certainly is the type of issue where there are positives and negatives to both sides of the debate.

In the end, I definitely do think that the O-line depth will need to be addressed before September 11th. I do think that all the while, patience needs to be exhibited by the team.

At this point, I don't think that the Jets would part with a starting caliber offensive lineman for Betts. We have to remember here that the Jets are a team that put a premium on bolstering their offensive line in the draft, spending their top two picks on O-linemen I believe. That in and of itself leads me to believe that they would be as hesitant as any club at this point to part with any linemen who have perceived value around NFL circles.

Thus, I think you wait it out, see what veteran linemen with maybe two years left in the tank get cut in the coming weeks, and make a move from there. In the process, you get to keep Betts as well.

I looked at that NY Jets URL someone pasted earlier.

What about Anthony Clement? He's listed as a Tackle with 8 years of experience. With D'Brick slated as the LT of the future where does that put Clement? Or is he a RT.....?

http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/roster/show/1070

Has quite a bit of experience. Would be a perfect fit for us as a backup T to Samuels or Jansen.

Archived