Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYDN: Jets interested in Betts

Dirk Diggler

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/story/442453p-372653c.html

Another position to watch is running back. With Curtis Martin's career in jeopardy, the Jets are eager to see if Derrick Blaylock and Cedric Houston can do the job. If not, they almost certainly will trade for a veteran. The Redskins' Ladell Betts has emerged as a possibility.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/story/442453p-372653c.html

Another position to watch is running back. With Curtis Martin's career in jeopardy, the Jets are eager to see if Derrick Blaylock and Cedric Houston can do the job. If not, they almost certainly will trade for a veteran. The Redskins' Ladell Betts has emerged as a possibility.

I've been pimping Betts to the Jets for the last two years. Glad to see NFL front offices finally catching up to my expert analysis ;).

seems that Gibbs won't trade him as his view is we can never have enough. Hence how he always likes stacking the Practice Squad and IR. God-forbid Portis goes down, but w/o Betts, we are left with somewhat unproven Lumsden and smallish Rock, as well as unproven Nemo and White.

If we can get a solid player for him, most likely a lineman (obviously not top tier), then I say pull the trigger. We're stacked at RB, although truthfully I don't know the terms of Betts' contract. If he has only one more year, why not? We seem to always get the better of the Jets in trades.

I've said it in every "Betts trade" thread so far. So I'm sorry for being so repetative...but the threads are too damn repetative, but the threads are too damn repetative, but the threads are too damn repetative....

Betts for D'Brickashaw.

Thats it. If they ain't doin that, F 'em

Betts is way to important.

God, I hope we don't trade Betts.

The article also said, "Barring injury or implosion, Pennington will be the opening-day starter. The bigger question is the No.2 job. Patrick Ramsey has disappointed, leaving the door open for rookie Kellen Clemens and veteran Brooks Bollinger."

Not to hijack the thread, but I thought you might find that interesting.

He's gone next year anyway. But what are the Jets offering? We don't need a draft pick. We need OL depth. If it's OK with Saunders, it's OK with me.

He is gone next year. I like Betts alot but the truth of the matter is that if we can get good value, because the Jets are in need, we should pull the trigger. I've said it before and I will say it again...

I am very high on Jesse Lumsden.

Like with most deals, it depends on what the other half is.

(And let's face it, IMO, there isn't going to be a deal right now. Both sides will want to check out their "chosen ones" on the field this weekend.)

The Jets aren't going to offer a starter. OTOH, Betts is a backup, at a position where we have good, solid depth, who's only got one year left on his contract, anyway. We won't get a lot, but we're not losing a lot, either. (Although, RB is one of those positions where it's not unheard of for somebody to develop a sudden, urgent, need one week before the season starts. (Often it seems to happen to whichever team has Rickey Williams on their roster.) So the "price" of a veteran backup could experience a sudden surge three weeks from now.)

I'd hate to see Betts go but he's in the last year of his contract and is gonna want (a) to start somewhere -- ain't gonna happen here -- and (B) more money. Our other RBs have shown some promise in TC so we seem to have some depth there.

Also, we NEED quality OL and this would be one way to snagging someone for depth. Particularly at LT and C.

Win-win situation, IMO.

I've said it in every "Betts trade" thread so far. So I'm sorry for being so repetative...but the threads are too damn repetative, but the threads are too damn repetative, but the threads are too damn repetative....

Betts for D'Brickashaw.

Thats it. If they ain't doin that, F 'em

Betts is way to important.

It'll never happen, but I'd love to have D'Brickshaw Ferguson in Washington! He's a real class act.

None of us do, but his contract is coming up soon and hes a starting caliber back (when healthy). we are STOCKED at RB. Aside From Cartwright, Lumsden, and Carter.... Nemo, Sellers, and Cooley could all play RB in a pinch and do well.

I understand the logistics of it all, I just really like Betts so I would hate to see him go. Now if we could get something/one of value (cough) D'brickshaw, then it would help me cope.:D

Archived