Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Prediction: If Gibbs Had Never Retired

Kindred

What do you guys think would have happened?

IMO: Gibbs would have had time to evolve and adjust with offenses out there. In his prime he was known for being innovative and unpredictable. I think Saunders is at the point right now where Gibbs would have been had he stayed in the game (Gibbs would have been better though)

I think we would have had MUCH more stability, great players, great chemistry, and better new players. I cant believe how good shape we're in considering all the turmoil in the between-Gibbs period. We could have ended up like the Jets, 9er's, who knows! :(

I know its all wishful thinking, but I'd like to think that all that time wasted would have been a couple more championships 2 or 3 superbowl appearances and at LEAST one more ring.

PLUS our record vs the cowpies would have definitely looked better.

On the downside, another possibility I hate to think about is that Gibbs might have become burned out if he stayed and not as effective. Guy works like machine nonstop...

What do you guys think?

Funny, I've thought about that as well. It would have been great to have had Gibbs be our coach for the past 25 years. He'd be getting close to some magical records as a coach!

My guess is he would have had some down years, but we would have bounced back in a couple years. Not sure if we would have won any more SBs, but we would have been in the hunt much more.

Hail,

H

In a vacuum, I think it's safe to assume he'd have kept our team competitive and challenging for championships every season.

I think that we'd potentially have won a couple more Super Bowls. However, like you said, I find it next to impossible that he'd have coached for 25 straight years.

Cool thread idea!

Don Shula did. Granted, he was younger when he started, but I think if Gibbs had stayed all 25 years, Gibbs would be considered the best coach in history.

We may have been able to get in another Super Bowl, but that was when the Cowboys made their run, so the chances of us having our own dynasty would've been remote. If Gibbs would've hung around for a few more years instead of retiring, he wouldn't be with the team right now.

Can you imagine just how many SB trophies we would have by now?

At least as many as Don Shula had in his last 20 years of coaching, which was a grand total of, uh...

Bad example.

I know! At least as many as Tom Landry had in his last dozen years helming the Cowpatties, which is, er...

Point being: don't presume that Gibbs would have won *any* additional trophies.

At least as many as Don Shula had in his last 20 years of coaching, which was a grand total of, uh...

Bad example.

I know! At least as many as Tom Landry had in his last dozen years helming the Cowpatties, which is, er...

Point being: don't presume that Gibbs would have won *any* additional trophies.

Chuck Noll kept racking 'em up after 1980. In the next 13 seasons, he won...um...well two playoff games, I think.

The Redskins had a ton of problems in the early and mid 90s that no coaching was going to overcome. Old starters. Bad drafts. Chaotic ownership.

However, if Gibbs had been available in 1999 or 2000, it's entirely possible that the world would have a very different opinion of Dan Snyder right now.

The Redskins had a ton of problems in the early and mid 90s that no coaching was going to overcome. Old starters. Bad drafts. Chaotic ownership.

However' date=' if Gibbs had been available in 1999 or 2000, it's entirely possible that the world would have a very different opinion of Dan Snyder right now.[/quote']

I agree with this post the most. I think if Gibbs was able to return upon Snyder taking over the team, we'd have probably won a championship by now. However, it's just unrealistic to think Gibbs (as he was after the 1992 season) would have been able to continue coaching for another 12 years or so.

Another thing I like to think would have happened is that maybe he would have done something similar to what hes doing now, except he would have brought in a young protege and slowly groomed him to handle the offense as well as other responsibilities. Gibbs is a great leader and always will be. Great leaders delegate responsibility and set expectations by leading by example.

Honestly' date=' I think he would probably be dead by now.[/quote']

me too,

Maybe we would have had one or more additional SB appearances/wins.

Maybe Gibbs would hold ALL the great coaching records.

But what I am fairly certain of :

Gibbs would now be out of football.

Gibbs would have missed some wonderful years with his kids, ( and I wouldnt deny him that. )

I wouldnt be THIS excited for THIS SEASON...

Living in the present, and pumped.

I actually think that one of his biggest regrets, and why he's back right now, was that when he had to leave, it left us in pretty poor shape, and we slowly fell apart. What he's doing now is to ensure that things roll smoothly and he leaves behind a roadmap for a legacy, foundation, and framework that will last another decade. :applause: :logo:

I think Gibbs probably would have had a heart-attack or stroke and he'd be dead by now. Sometimes sabbaticals are needed. I cried when he retired and I cried when he came back, but I think the break was necessary for him to be a peak performance for our upcoming string of Championships.

MRMADD.....exactly. that is my memory as well. he was closer to a breakdown/heart attack than he was another SB by the end of 92. he needed the time off to restore his health.

Agreed.

Let's consider something else as well. While Gibbs is a great coach and person, some shouldn't think that if he had stayed then the skins would have been in contention every single year, IMO they wouldn't have been as bad as past teams, but I think some people have the wool over their eyes when evaluating this scenario. If we're talking from a straight footbal perspective then he I think he would have this organization in the right hands because I serious doubt he would still be the coach.

Archived