Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT:Arrington happy to put Redskins in past (MERGED) STADIUM EDITION

vegeta613

I think we all need to stop being so emotional over this. Here is a guy that's been with the franchise through all the ups and downs, and yet got treated like trash when it came time to address his status with the team. He's just venting his frustrations. Not everything that goes on behind the doors of Redskin park are peaches and cream. As fans, we have to stick behind our coach, but we don't know what happens. Everyone on the team (the actual players) was shocked when LA wasn't playing. They must have been seeing something that we were not. Let it be. We will see how big his mouth is when we play the Giants. Until then, just chill out. The guy played his guts out for us as long as he wore the jersey. "I LOVE LA"....

not an apologist...I take it for granted that most of you treat this as you do...say Iraq....you have opinions but little first hand information and do not recognize that there are always grains of truth on both sides of every issue. but that is your problem....not mine!!!!!

Sure there are 2 sides to every story, and I'm sure our FO has some blame in this whole issue. The point here though is, our FO is not going around badmouthing LA Woman, AP, or Chump. Until that stops, I am going to have negative opinions towards all of them. They deserve it. You don't see anyone around here badmouthing Ramsey. There's a reason for it, he handled the "business" situation like they all refer to it once they leave, like a true professional. From being benched, to trade talks during the season, he didn't let that interfere with our season.

I have no nostalgic attachment to Lavar, and I got tired of his nonsense a LONG time ago, so none of this surprises me. I even posted a thread in the middle of the season about how he was no good and the coaching staff was going to get rid of him, and I got ripped on bigtime. People seem to whistling a different tune now, however, and I think this article will lose him the last bit of support he had in the DC area.

scruffy......

1) I've always felt arrington was about the bucks....that was very obvious from day one.

Must disagree with you on that. He wants to be "loved" and perhaps being paid top dollar is a reflection of that. But he would have been paid more money had he stayed with the Skins. He let it go because he wasn't feeling the "love" he craves. Is this a character flaw? I don't think it is, but I can see where others view this as being selfish.

2) I can agree with much of the emotional energy expended on this board about much of the frankly "not well thought out" statements arrington has made.

I've never liked the LaVar bashing before because I feel it was unjustified for a player who played his guts out for the Skins. But I too can agree with and understand folks getting ticked with this latest article. It's July LaVar....get over it already.

3) I disagree with those who are so blind as to not see where he had value.

That has been my biggest pet peeve. People refusing to acknowledge how great a player he was between 00-03. People dismissing the fact that he played in a new defense every year of his career with new players around him and in new positions with new responsibilities and still excelled.

4) I disagree with those who do not see that the organization, over time, has fouled up with many of its best players and that arrington was one of them. there have been foul ups.........

food for thought....we are all happy with the turn-around.......what makes anyone think that this can be sustained once JG and his camp of insiders leave the scene? the fact is...he is getting older.....he will be able to stamp his personality on the organization for only so long. clearly, his imprint dissipated after the first time he retired. what is it about the organization itslef...beyond JG...that makes people think the turn-around can be sustained? I don't have the answer but I know it is an entirely reasonsable question to ask.

See, now this is downright scary to think about. My only hope is that Dan Snyder has learned alot from Gibbs about running a football organization and that he will continue to put people in place that will run the Redskins like Gibbs.

I also think Gibbs is a better "manager" now than he was back the first time around. He was a great coach but I don't think he did a great job at filling the void left when Bobby Beathard resigned. The Redskins were not ready for the "post Gibbs" world when he first retired but I think that this time around, thanks to his time in NASCAR he's become a great organization builder and Gibbs is putting everything in place to have the entire Redskins organization on sound footing for when he steps away in a couple of years.

But for the here and now, I'm just savoring every moment that Gibbs is back with the Redskins, something that I thought would never happen again after his retirement in 1993.

Clark & AP left for money. So did Smoot, whom he left out. Champ was TRADED not 'let go'. Besides, Champ wasn't going to stay here. Davis, as mentioned, didn't fit the Sack N Crack offense of he whose name deserves no mention. Marty's gotten SD a bucha Lombardi's hasn't he. Oh wait... Seems like he just tied his record for SB trophies that he had in KC.

:laugh:

What's hilarious is the circular logic Lavar uses.

He hated to see Davis go. Davis was let go by Spurrier (essentially). Letting go of Spurrier (who actually quit) was the final straw for Lavar.

Makes sense! Why not defend the coach that was responsible for one of the releases you're complaining about???

:doh: :rolleyes:

Lavar Arrington will always be a victim. I've never particularly liked the guy despite really wanting to (that's tough to explain). I'm glad he's gone and I think he'll find that he left a great team and organization.

I'll throw a slight positive light on this. To Lavar's credit, he did stick around through a whole lot of changes here, and some of the comments he made are accurate. We did have a coaching and player carrousel here year after year. Names like Jeff George, "Neon" Dion, and Steve Spurrier don't leave a good taste in any Redskin fan's mouth.

I want to believe that Lavar was as excited as any player to see Coach Gibbs and Gregg Williams come on board. But I don't think he was prepared to be the complete TEAM player that both those men look for. In our system isn't never about "me," it's about "us." Lavar saw that with, or without him our defense was successful, because it's based on a SYSTEM and not a player. Having the wrong mindset about that hastened his exit from the 'Skins.

My personal opinion is that he'll get hurt again and will never have the impact he perhaps once had. He's a very good football player, but he's never measured up to his potential.

I want to believe that Lavar was as excited as any player to see Coach Gibbs and Gregg Williams come on board.

The first thing LaVar said when he was asked about Coach Gibbs returning was that he (Gibbs) had to show him (LaVar) something.

A HoF Coach with three SB rings has to show him something... ?

He goes far enough to say it was a mistake in getting rid of bailey and S.Davis...has he not seen Clinton run? He was really in love with Marty.

And I can't believe how quickly he has forgotten his fans...I feel like he is treating us like horse shlt after all of this crap. A lot of years wasted cheering for him. I hope when he comes to Washington people begin throwing their arrington jerseys onto the field.

AMEN BROTHER!!! I rue the day I got an Arrington jersey and would LOVE to throw it onto the field!

"Spurrier leaving was the last straw", his punka*s quit before Joe Gibbs got there, He never believed in Joe Gibbs, and now he will have to pay. Joe Gibbs is better than all the coaches he mentioned combined, Hey Lavar name the only coach that took your ass to the playoffs? Not Marty, not Spurrier,--GIBBS. But what would a 3-time superbowl winning coach know about how to win games?

I can't believe he used to be my favorite player. I wish injury on Lavar.

I have said it many times before, LaVar has problems with keeping his emotions on track, in short, he has emotional problems.

He seems to be upbeat one day and down the next and he usually speaks what is on his mind at that very moment. Doing this causes him to come across as being schizophrenic or something.

The first thing LaVar said when he was asked about Coach Gibbs returning was that he (Gibbs) had to show him (LaVar) something.

A HoF Coach with three SB rings has to show him something... ?

I remember that BS he said too, I remember feeling funny about it at the time like "WHAT"? He defended all the wrong coaches, then decides that JOE JACKSON GIBBS needs to prove himself.

I have said it many times before, LaVar has problems with keeping his emotions on track, in short, he has emotional problems.

He seems to be upbeat one day and down the next and he usually speaks what is on his mind at that very moment. Doing this causes him to come across as being schizophrenic or something.

Sybil Arrington? :laugh:

Sounds more Bi-Polar to me than anything else.

I think we all need to stop being so emotional over this. Here is a guy that's been with the franchise through all the ups and downs, and yet got treated like trash when it came time to address his status with the team. He's just venting his frustrations. Not everything that goes on behind the doors of Redskin park are peaches and cream. As fans, we have to stick behind our coach, but we don't know what happens. Everyone on the team (the actual players) was shocked when LA wasn't playing. They must have been seeing something that we were not. Let it be. We will see how big his mouth is when we play the Giants. Until then, just chill out. The guy played his guts out for us as long as he wore the jersey. "I LOVE LA"....

I would agree that "not everything that goes on behind the doors of Redskins park are peaches and cream" but that is just business. In most, if not all, multi-million dollar business' you will find this type of situation. He is old enough now to have learned this. Maybe he got treated unfairly and maybe he didn't. That is not the point. My contention is that he has had more than AMPLE OPPORTUNITY to say what is on his mind but he just seems to live to re-hash it all. The Redskins, as a team, have taken the high road and let it go. My suggestion would be that Lavar do the same. Unfortunately, he just won't leave it alone and play football.

Another member posted a comparism to TO and the more I think about it, he is comparable. During a playoff run in 2005-2006 he decides to throw the organization that pays him (and the one he said he wanted to play for forever) under the bus. It is just a way to draw attention to himself. In other words, "I love me some me." (Where have we heard that before?) I have no pity for him anymore. Life is what you make of it and that is just not a lesson that Lavar has any intention of learning. So there you have it, an opinion of Lavar's issues from a DIEHARD fan. HTTR! :helmet:

Funny thing for me is that however the Defense fares this year and I do think they will be in the top 5. I wouldn't give up anybody we have for Arrington, Champ Bailey, Fred Smoot, Antonio Pierce, or Ryan Clark. The guys we have now are all either upgrades or if not upgrades can fit just as well within the Defensive schemes at a much cheaper price.

ALBANY, N.Y. -- A rejuvenated LaVar Arrington rolled into New York Giants training camp yesterday morning, hopeful the tumult of the last two years is behind him and determined to show the Washington Redskins and the entire NFL he can still be an impact outside linebacker.

"It's a pretty weird feeling -- different but good," he told The Washington Times outside his dorm room at the University at Albany, where the Giants begin practicing today. "I'm able to be me again. That's something that hasn't existed for a little while now."

Change was a hallmark of Arrington's six seasons with the Redskins, a tenure highlighted by three Pro Bowl appearances but ultimately marred by a knee injury that limited him to four games in 2004, and the embarrassment of being benched early last year.

It is clear some of the wounds still linger for Arrington. He wasn't critical of coach Joe Gibbs or assistant head coach-defense Gregg Williams, saving his shots for owner Dan Snyder. Arrington was granted his release in early March when he agreed to forfeit $4.4 million in deferred bonus payments.

"I know Snyder would love to keep people saying the things that have been said about me," Arrington said. "But he has to come up with some type of something about me in order to legitimize the dumb [stuff] that they do."

That dumb stuff, Arrington said, is alienating proven veterans and firing coaches.

"They let us all go," he said. "You can go further than just me, Ryan [Clark] and Antonio [Pierce]. Go back to Champ [bailey]. Go back to Stephen Davis. Should I keep going? Go back to Brad Johnson. Even Marty [schottenheimer]. We would be playing for Super Bowls had they kept Marty. And after [steve] Spurrier left, that was it for me.

"I could tell something was different from the time the [current defensive coaching staff] got there and that different didn't include me. All of a sudden, I couldn't play. And then I got hurt. I came back and they used my injury as a reason to not play me."

Through a team spokesperson, Snyder declined to react to Arrington's comments.

As an eyewitness to the Redskins' free agent spending for many years, Arrington isn't surprised the Redskins spent money this year.

"It's the same old thing every year," he said. "They bring in somebody or do something to create some kind of buzz. I'm sold on the fact that they want to create a preseason buzz and don't care whether they win or lose so they can make more money."

Arrington said he hasn't talked to any current Redskins players recently, instead focusing on developing bonds with his new teammates.

Click link for the rest

http://www.washingtontimes.com/sports/20060728-123029-1253r.htm

Wait Lavar. I do believe the team you're on spent a ton of money the last 2 years on free agents. Including your overpriced self.

I love how Lavar blames everyone else but Lavar.

Got treated like trash? How exactly? He got treated better than any other player here, had excuses made for him during his entire tenure here until last year when he didn't get his way.

Do you think GW didn't want him to play? Or do you think GW doesn't take crap from superstars? GW himself said he was a better coordinator when Lavar was on the field. Please don't be an apologist - from the 6 million $ bonus fiasco to his not getting in games to his rehurting his knee - it is all never Lavar's fault - puh-lease.

He was more concerned with a contract that his agent flubbed up than the team, he is no leader he is a diva. No matter how hard he hit Aikman, that is a fact.

Lavar has had less support from his ex teammates than TO does in Philly, doesn't that say anything to you?

Ryan Clark didn't want to compete for a starting position with a better player and he wanted a raise, Champ wanted out because he was sick of losing, Pierce is not worth what he wanted either and Lemar has proven that. The NFL isn't peaches and cream, but it ain't working in a coal mine either.

By the end of last season Lavar was fat and had lost almost all of his muscle tone in his legs, just look at any picture. Now he is with NYG and in shape - Gibbs can't work out for Lavar, nor can he not give interviews for Lavar. Lavar is not an angel nor is he even an LT.

Archived