Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

I don't think Diaz realizes just how much of a douchebag the way he communicates makes him out to be. :ols: His speech pattern is essentially: insult, insult, woe is me, insult, insult, no offense. I'm really a nice guy, insult.

I think Hendricks beats GSP.

Edited by Destino

So just a few months ago, Nick Diaz complained that he did not have any money because they were not paying him enough, and now he has enough money to "sit back and do something else" or whatever the hell he said?

And what was he referring to, taking about how GSP knew what he was going to be doing? He referenced that a few times. It is almost like he was trying to come up with a conspiracy theory.

In all honesty, I hope Diaz does not quit, he is an excellent fighter. He just got beat tonight. He had opportunities on the feet, but he either got beat there too or did not do anything with the chances he had.

---------- Post added March-17th-2013 at 12:57 AM ----------

Nick retires every time he loses. He sounds like BJ Penn now.

They need to fight each other again in a "loser leaves town, and then comes back" match.

Even though Hendricks has some impressive wrestling credentials, I can't shake the image of him being controlled by a much bigger Rick Story. GSP will be much bigger and won't play the standup game with Hendricks. Even if he does, I think GSP can avoid the looping shots. Hendricks is a brute, but far from technical.

I think GSP takes him to deep waters and rides out a decision.

Will definitely be rooting for Hendricks to land that killshot though.

And what was he referring to, taking about how GSP knew what he was going to be doing? He referenced that a few times. It is almost like he was trying to come up with a conspiracy theory.

Every fan with a brain knew what Nick was going to do, its not like his game has changed much over the years. GSP is built perfectly to neutralize such a game.

Edited by StillUnknown

He definitely can. He is probably one of the most dangerous challengers we have seen in a while. Huge power in his hands and his wrestling is pretty damn good as well. I just hope that his hand is not injured as badly as it could be.

Edited by lovetoaster

To beat GSP you have to take the fight to him. His striking is entirely about setting up takedowns because he dominates on the ground like no one else. His weakness is that he can't really take a lot of damage, I think he's getting close to having a "time to retire" chin but his fighting style hides it amazingly well. I really do think Hendricks has the ability to absolutely run through him.

I'm a big Hendricks fan. I read somewhere GSP plans on fighting Hendricks and then Silva.

GSP will fight the devil before he fight Silva.

---------- Post added March-17th-2013 at 01:42 AM ----------

Dave Doyle

‏@davedoylemma

Nick Diaz on Fuel with @arielhelwani: "To be honest, I want a rematch."

Dave Doyle

‏@davedoylemma

More Diaz with @arielhelwani: "I'd like to retire, but I'd like a rematch. ... he hits like a women."

I think GSP can avoid the looping shots. Hendricks is a brute, but far from technical.

GSP will pick him apart standing. Hendricks will literally throw 4-5 left hooks in a row, and that's about all he has to offer standing. And like you mentioned, GSP will be bigger and I think he can dominate Hendricks with his wrestling regardless of Hendricks' college credentials. GSP has beat other guys with similar wrestling backgrounds.

Kampmann is a technically savvy kickboxer, Condit has a ton of tools in his striking game. Better technique doesn't always equal more effective striking. Hendricks has tuned his left arm to repeatedly dish out massive power within a very short time span. He will dirty box all day as well. GSP will have to eat some shots throughout that fight. He hasn't been acing tests like he was before Jake Shields. Hendricks is an animal, I'd be shocked if he gets completely shut down. I just think that eventually, GSP is getting tagged.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

What strikers need to learn how to do better against GSP is press the fight when GSP is going backwards.

GSP is great at fighting going backwards. He draws strikers in, and then when he has the guy chasing him, he shoots in for the takedown.

His opponents need to train for this.

Also, it seems like strikers are so over-worried about being taken down that they end up too cautious to let their hands go a little.

Nick Diaz, had plenty of chances before the 3rd round, where the fight was on their feet, to let his hands go. Just that short little stint in the 3rd round on their feet, Diaz was getting the better of GSP in the exchanges, and he continued to have more opportunities int he 4th and 5th rounds but did little to take advantage or press the fight.

Same with Condit. He waited way too long to let his hands go. The Condit we saw tonight, might have TKO's GSP the night they fought. And IMO, Condit beat Hendricks. It was a close fight but IMO, Condit was the busier fighter, even when the fight hit the ground and Hendricks was on top. I'm getting pretty fed up with the state of judging in UFC. If a fighter scores a takedown and is on top, they are pretty much guaranteed to win the round, regardless of if the fighter on the bottom is the much busier fighter from the bottom position. Condit was throwing strikes and going for subs every time he was on the bottom, while Hendricks really didn't generate much offense at all after the takedowns.

Edited by NoCalMike

And IMO, Condit beat Hendricks. It was a close fight but IMO, Condit was the busier fighter, even when the fight hit the ground and Hendricks was on top. I'm getting pretty fed up with the state of judging in UFC. If a fighter scores a takedown and is on top, they are pretty much guaranteed to win the round, regardless of if the fighter on the bottom is the much busier fighter from the bottom position. Condit was throwing strikes and going for subs every time he was on the bottom, while Hendricks really didn't generate much offense at all after the takedowns.

I think you could make a case for either fighter but after re-watching I tend to lean toward Condit winning that fight. He beat Hendricks up on the feet and was way busier on the ground. I totally agree about judging favoring takedowns in MMA. But it's going to be like that until the commissions ditch the boxing judges and hire people that are knowledgeable in all facets of fighting/martial arts. If you take someone down but spend the whole time in their half-guard eating elbows from the bottom, dodging kimuras and sweeps, and getting regarded then the points you scored from that takedown should be nullified.

Busier on the ground ignores the takedown itself. While you can make the case that a takedown with no ground attack can be written off I don't think a lot of explosive takedowns should be. Fighters can't get tossed around at will then argue that they punched from the bottom so they won that exchange.

Busier on the ground ignores the takedown itself. While you can make the case that a takedown with no ground attack can be written off I don't think a lot of explosive takedowns should be. Fighters can't get tossed around at will then argue that they punched from the bottom so they won that exchange.

It probably helped Hendricks' cause that he took Condit down repeatedly and in a few different ways. I usually favor a fighter who works off his back if the guy on top isn't doing much, but Hendricks got him down just about whenever he wanted. One or two takedowns with not much happening once it hits the ground can be ignored, 8 or 9 not so much.

I wonder if Hendricks would have even wrestled that much if he didn't jack up his hand early in the fight. I think thats the most aggressive I've ever seen him with his takedowns.

Edited by StillUnknown

Hendricks looked at his hand early in round 2, I think that's when he realized something was wrong. He still threw it, but it became more infrequent, until the third round where he threw it about two times total.

Condit has always been the busiest fighter off his back in MMA. Same thing he was doing in the WEC, has to be all sorts of confusing for someone on top of him. I'll have to watch the fight again, but I scored it 29-28 Hendricks last night. Condit won that last round with striking from the bottom :ols: insane if you think about it, who ever does that?

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I am not saying you don't score the takedown itself, however I what I am not in favor of, is a guy on top, sitting in someone's guard for five minutes being awarded the round on the grounds of "dominating position"

I've said many times, BJJ guys don't view the bottom position as an inferior position to be in. Many subs come from the bottom position.

However it seems that the sport is so wrestling-favorable right now, that once a fighter gets a takedown, all they basically have to do is avoid being finished and they will automatically win the round, regardless of the action going on, on the ground.

Also, the judging gets tricky as well because if you score takedowns like you would in wrestling, then how do you not award the other guy for constantly escaping and getting back to his feet?

To me, no one aspect from a specific discipline should be over-valued over another. They need to come up with a better way to even out how they score fights.

PRIDE and other promotions in Japan have the superior system if you ask me. If you take your opponent down, you will get maybe 2 "actions" from the ref and if you aren't progressing in your position, you're getting stood up.

Of course with all the wrestlers in UFC right now, they love the fact that they can score takedowns and basically sit in an opponents guard and win rounds.

Bottomline is, unless wrestling is your background, you will be hard-pressed to stop takedowns. PERIOD. Sure, with a lot of training from the world-class out there, you will be able to stifle some. Hell, even Diaz was stopping takedowns once he was able to tire GSP out a little, and he is notorious for having no defense against wrestling,

Bottomline is, unless wrestling is your background, you will be hard-pressed to stop takedowns. PERIOD. Sure, with a lot of training from the world-class out there, you will be able to stifle some. Hell, even Diaz was stopping takedowns once he was able to tire GSP out a little, and he is notorious for having no defense against wrestling,

This is MMA though, it's each fighters responsibility to improve their skills according to what they may face. When BJJ first hit the scene you had Royce Gracie out there submitting guys twice his size because his style proved the dominant form in octagon. They didn't change the rules to help fighters get around BJJ, those fighters were forced to work on their how to defend against it. MMA has evolved constantly as new tricks prove to be effective and take down defense and wrestling will improve across the board if it needs to.

Take downs can be defended and guys can work their way to their feet once taken down. Look at JDS and Liddell. JDS has excellent take down defense and once down he rarely gets held down for very long. Chuck Liddell treated take downs as a minor inconvenience. They guy didn't have the great take down defense but didn't seem to work particularly hard to stand up. He would just stand up all of the sudden as if it was no big deal. These are pure strikers and they were able to win their way by neutralizing the wrestlers. Similarly a lot of wrestlers have had to learn to strike.

Adapt or lose.