Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

No point in Dan dropping back to 185, the weight cut kills him. Hendo has very little chance of winning that fight.

Agreed. A big part of me really wants to see that fight again, but I don't think 185 is the rigth weight class for Hendo at this point. However, if the fight were at 205.....

UFC 134 Judo Chop: Anderson Silva Puts on a Show Against Forrest Griffin

We're just a few days away from seeing Anderson Silva step in to the cage at UFC 134: Rio to defend his Middleweight title against Yushin Okami, and I couldn't be more excited. Despite some weird showings against Patrick Cote, Thales Leites, and Demian Maia, Silva has consistently demonstrated that he is one of the most advanced strikers in our sport, dominating opponent after opponent with his massive arsenal of techniques.

We've covered a lot of Silva's brilliance in the past (and Kid Nate collected our Silva coverage in a comprehensive post at MMA Nation), but one thing we haven't covered is Silva's finest hour - the moment when he looked the least like a human being and more like some sort of computerized Matrix character. I'm talking, of course, of his one round humiliation of Forrest Griffin.

Over the course of three and a half minutes at UFC 101, Silva used head movement and superb defense to avoid Griffin before knocking out the former Light Heavyweight champion with seemingly impossible ease. It remains, for my money, the most amazing domination in the history of our sport. Today, we take a look at exactly how it all went down.

Full analysis, with lots of gifs, in the complete article.

Those Judo Chop pieces on Bloddy Elbow are excellent. Anyone who liked the Silva Forrest one, check out the 2 other ones they did on Silva Franklin, great great stuff. And it's not just the article, some of the comments below are also insightful, some are crap, as to be expected with a comments on an internet article.

Champ Cris "Cyborg" Santos says she's re-signed with Strikeforce

After sitting on the sidelines for the past 14 months due to stalled contract negotiations, Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos says she's re-signed with Strikeforce.

The organization's featherweight (145-pound) champion announced the news via Twitter.

The Brazilian said info on her next bout will be announced shortly.

Strikeforce officials have made no formal announcement. However, Santos' website states the deal stretches a year. Financial terms were not disclosed.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/24950/champ-cris-cyborg-santos-says-shes-re-signed-with-strikeforce.mma

Put her in against Noons!

In related news, Strikeforce will not be folded into the UFC for at least one year. Hell, I would rather have them keep it around anyways as a feeder organization anyways. There is some good, albeit young, talent there, and they have signed some pretty good young guys recently.

Edited by lovetoaster

Put her in against Noons!

tumblr_lme7lnUQ5Z1qafrh6.jpg

Cyborg by KO over Noons :D

On a slightly more serious note...I'd actually like to see her fight Ronda Rousey. I like Rousey's chances assuming she can protect her chin long enough to clinch with Cyborg. There's a video of Cyborg competing in the BJJ Worlds at purple belt and suplexing this girl so it could be fun to watch, but IMO Rousey's grappling (especially standing) is at another level. Cyborg of course has the striking advantage but if she gets clinched with Rousey she's getting tossed on her head and probably armbarred.

On a slightly more serious note...I'd actually like to see her fight Ronda Rousey. I like Rousey's chances assuming she can protect her chin long enough to clinch with Cyborg. There's a video of Cyborg competing in the BJJ Worlds at purple belt and suplexing this girl so it could be fun to watch, but IMO Rousey's grappling (especially standing) is at another level. Cyborg of course has the striking advantage but if she gets clinched with Rousey she's getting tossed on her head and probably armbarred.

Too much, too soon for Roussey. She hasn't been in with anyone in the same realm as Cyborg in terms of strength and striking and just overall competence in the cage. The fight will probably be rushed, but Roussey would be smashed.

UFC 134 Picks:

Luiz Cane vs. Stanislov Nedkov: From the little I've seen of Nedkov, he's shown little technique is standing, but a great wrestling and position game from the top. If Cane's takedown d is decent, he should take this fight.

Cane by Unanimous Decision

Edson Barboza vs. Ross Pearson: Bad style matchup for Pearson. Barboza is one of my favorite prospects in the LW division, his striking is on a different level just about everyone else in the division right now. Pearson would be wise to do whatever he can to get this fight to the ground, but I'm not sure he possesses the strength or technique to do so.

Barboza by (T)KO, Round 2

Mintauro Nogueira vs. Brendan Schaub: Big Nog is now zombie nog. He's younger than Anderson Silva, but he looks 50 in the face and carrying more weight than is ideal for his best fighting condition. He rushed back against his doctor's orders just so he could fight in his home country. Nog is too slow to pull the trigger, too slow to avoid the attacks that come his way. Schaub is decent at everything, elite at nothing. He's on a nice run of beating faded fighters. He should continue that run in this fight as well. The only chance I give Nog in this fight is if Schaub plays the ground game with him long enough for Nog to catch him. In the UFC's incredibly thin HW division, this probably makes Schaub next in line for a title shot (its either him or Mir, unless Overeem signs).

Schaub by (T)KO, Round 1 (prove me wrong Nog :( )

Forrest Griffin vs. Shogun: You never really know which Shogun you're going to see. The first round of this fight should dictate how it goes. If Shogun can unleash some of his standup and catch Forrest, Shogun could win early and easy. If it drags on and Forrest can clinch with him or get him down on the ground, Shogun could tired and being grinded out over 3 rounds. I'm too much of a Shogun fan to pick against in his home country.

Shogun (T)KO, Round 1

Anderson Silva vs. Yushin Okami: I'll keep this one short, Okami has one avenue to victory, lay n pray. Anderson has all others. While I think Okami will score a takedown or two, he isn't the relentless takedown machine that Sonnen has proven to be. Okami may be able to avoid submissions better, but I don't think he can prevent Anderson from scrambling back to his feet. I have a slight fear this fight could be a letdown since Silva is a counter striker and Okami isn't terribly aggressive on the feet, but I think Anderson will be looking to hurt Okami to make up for being DQ'd in their first fight.

Anderson Silva by (T)KO, Round 3

I was just thinking this...do you think Comcast would give a free replay if I order the PPV and my power goes out?

I have no idea. I'm gonna wait until the last minute to order it. If my power is out before then, I'll take the laptop to my Jeep and use my power converter. I sure hope someone has a feed link!! :)

I sure hope someone has a feed link!! :)

dr-evil-268x300.jpg

UFC 134: Brazilian chicks rule

Ross Pearson vs. Edson Barboza: Barboza can end this any time, but I think Pearson can hang in there and push the pace enough to take it. Barboza seems to stay less active than most fighters, kind of like he's always in sniper mode. Pearson will eat a few kicks here and there, but will out work Barboza to a decision.

Pearson Decision

Big Nog vs. Brendan Schaub: If Nog wins/Shaub loses, talk about one hell of a swing of momentum for these two. Younger, faster, a lot more athletic, Schaub overwhelms Nog with speed and strength on his way to a first round TKO.

Schaub, TKO RD1

Forrest vs. Shogun: Shogun might be back in shape according to his standards, but we all know big ass Forrest can tire him out if he sustains an attack on the ground. His takedowns looked sharp against Rich Franklin, and I'm not sure Shogun's TDD is even as good as Rich's. It's a good puncher's chance, especially really early.

Forrest Griffin, Decision

Anderson Silva vs. Yushin Okami: I'm very interested to see this fight. Because I have almost no belief that Yushin can win. 25 minute grinder? Have to see it to believe it, kind of like flying elephants. Don't believe in 'em.

Silva, KO (Fryklund Elbow), rd 1.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

UFC 134 Quickish Picks

Rousimar Palhares vs. Dan Miller:

Paul Harris is dangerous and beastly and one of my favorite ground guys to watch.

Palhares by a scary leg lock (prob heel hook) Round 2

Edson Barboza vs. Ross Pearson:

Barboza is one of my favorite up and coming guys. He's a nightmare standing and I don't think Ross Pearson has any answer for it.

Barboza by KO, Round 2

Nog vs. Brendan Schaub:

Nog is getting older and going the way of the rest of the early-mid 2000s Pride beasts. The body can only take so much impact over the years and Nog has taken some ridiculous damage, it's finally starting to catch up with him and I hate to see it. :(

Schaub by KO, Round 1

Forrest Griffin vs. Shogun:

It's already been said but this all depends on which Shogun's health. He looked like ass against Jon Jones and I think it was a combination of recovery from his knee issues and Jon Jones being a beast. He's really outsized by Griffin and I wouldn't be surprised with a Shogun KO victory but I'm putting my cards on Forrest tonight.

Griffin by UD

Anderson Silva vs. Yushin Okami:

Anderson won the first time in my eyes and he's going to win big again tonight. Okami can try to LnP but IMO he's going to sleep early.

Anderson by KO, Round 2