Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

I saw that this morning, I just have a little trouble believing that Lesnar will be healthy enough to go through a full camp and be ready for a fight by December. I would love to see it, I am just not sure the timing works.

Yeah that Story Kampmann fight should be great. The only bad thing IMO, is since I genuinely like both fighters, that one of them will have to lose. I kinda want Kampmann to win, only because he is coming off 2 loses and I don't want him to get that deadly 3rd loss in a row that ends so many UFC careers, but I don't want to see Story lose and lose the momentum he has in the division. I think I have found what works best for me: one pulls out with injury, and whoever remains destroys the replacement.

As for Brock v Overeem in Toronto, wow that would be sweet. I just did a google search to see if they had a headliner and came over to ES to post the link but was beat to it. I am skeptical of the timing as well, not just for Brock being healthy but also signing Allistar in time. I kinda don't want this in Toronto as there is an outside chance of Anderson Silva defending his title on this card, but I still want Overeem v Brock to happen. There are no other title holders who would be available to fight on the 140 card, as most have fights booked right around that time. If Anderson did make it onto the card, he would either have a rematch with Okami or Belfort as all other MW contenders are tied up at the moment. He could go against the winner of Stann v Sonnen, but that fight is only 8 weeks before 140 and scheduling the winner might be wishful thinking on my part.

I'm still not a 'Reem believer.

I am not either, but it would be a matchup of who could use their strength first. Some legitimate questions exist regarding Brock's chin and Overeem is a K-1 champ. Bad combo there. However, Brock is an elite wrestler, and the kind of guy that Alistair has really never fought and he has probably not fought anyone at Brocks overall level in a long time. I can't imagine that he has any experience trying to keep a fight standing against a guy with that kind of wrestling pedigree. But he would have to get there first without getting kneed, kicked or punched in the face. It would not necessarily be a clash of strengths, but one of weaknesses.

I am sure Overeem wants to get in there with a guy that has a huge name that he sees has a weakness that he thinks he can exploit. Brock, on the other hand, if healthy does not seem like the kind of guy that would walk away from a challenge, even if it might not be the smartest thing. So I don't doubt that if Brock is healthy and Overeem wants it, that this would happen. It would just be a race to see who would get to use their strength first and it would probably happen fast.

I would honestly lean toward Brock if he is healthy. Overeem's competition level is the only thing that keeps me from being completely on board with him. The last four top-level fighters he has fought, he has lost to (Kharitonov, Rua, Arona, Little Nog), and that goes all the way back to 2006. I guess you might be able to count the Werdum fight, but I personally don't and the NC against Cro Cop in 2008 was against a past-his-prime Mirko. Overeem is a different fighter now, but I am not ready to say that he is a significantly better fighter. He has had some dynamic performances over the last few years, but honestly, does anyone else not think that Brock would have steamrolled through the likes of Tony Sylvester, James Thompson and Todd Duffee as well?

I think Brock can beat or lose to just about any quality heavyweight MMA fighter. If they hit him hard and early he doesn't know what to do. If they don't he has the wrestling ability and raw power to finish anyone on the planet. If Overeem came with the same stand up game he brought into that Werdum fight Brock would murder him.

I am not either, but it would be a matchup of who could use their strength first. Some legitimate questions exist regarding Brock's chin and Overeem is a K-1 champ. Bad combo there. However, Brock is an elite wrestler, and the kind of guy that Alistair has really never fought and he has probably not fought anyone at Brocks overall level in a long time. I can't imagine that he has any experience trying to keep a fight standing against a guy with that kind of wrestling pedigree. But he would have to get there first without getting kneed, kicked or punched in the face. It would not necessarily be a clash of strengths, but one of weaknesses.

I think Brock can beat or lose to just about any quality heavyweight MMA fighter. If they hit him hard and early he doesn't know what to do. If they don't he has the wrestling ability and raw power to finish anyone on the planet. If Overeem came with the same stand up game he brought into that Werdum fight Brock would murder him.

Brock seriously impressed me when he survived Shane Carwin's 1st round pounding. I know he didn't fare as well against Velasquez but I will still never forget Brock grinning at Shane between the 1st and 2nd round as if to say, "I'm still standing and you're gassed." I usually root against Lesnar but I think he showed heart in that fight that Overeem will never have. Ever. Overeem had better land a sweet, sweet shot right away or it's curtains for him. (That is if this fight ever materializes.)

I've always imagined this fight playing out with Overeem hurting Brock with a knee to the liver early. Brock then goes into crisis mode desperately trying for a take down and Overeem secures a guillotine choke while going to the ground for the submission victory. Although if Brock survives all that I could see him getting the takedown late on a gassed Overeem and winning with ground and pound TKO.

I'm a technique snob, bad kickboxing does little for me.

MMA highlight maker Damien recently made a video of kickboxer Giorgio Petrosyan who has near flawless kickboxing technique. I thought of this quote when I saw it and thought u would appreciate it.

MMA highlight maker Damien recently made a video of kickboxer Giorgio Petrosyan who has near flawless kickboxing technique. I thought of this quote when I saw it and thought u would appreciate it.

Petroysan is definitely one of my favorites. A few of those highlights are new to me, I'm going to make some gifs from that video later.

I think Brock would need to get Overeem down quickly. If I had to guess, Overeem pops him on the feet early and sprawls out of some long distance takedown attempts. He has no wrestling background, but he has a huge MMA experience factor over Brock, and he knows exactly what's coming. Brock's also coming off ANOTHER bout of diverticulitis. Hopefully this puppy hits FOX next year.

By the way, heard there's sort of a landmark press conference with Zuffa and FOX today, GSP and Rashad are attending.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I think Brock would need to get Overeem down quickly. If I had to guess, Overeem pops him on the feet early and sprawls out of some long distance takedown attempts. He has no wrestling background, but he has a huge MMA experience factor over Brock, and he knows exactly what's coming. Brock's also coming off ANOTHER bout of diverticulitis. Hopefully this puppy hits FOX next year.

By the way, heard there's sort of a landmark press conference with Zuffa and FOX today, GSP and Rashad are attending.

The press conference will be online here.

http://mma.sbnation.com/2011/8/18/2370591/photo-ufc-on-fox-logo-television-mma-news

ufconfox_medium.jpg

Ariel Helwani has posted a photo of the picture of what we can presume to be the UFC on Fox television set. Much like the NFL on Fox, the logo features the abbreviation of the sports league with the Fox name. We don't really know who is going to man the desk. Could it be familiar figures like Kenny Florian or does he have a non-compete? What about Jay Glazer, who is a Fox employee? Maybe even Gus Johnson.

I am all for Jay Glazer, and I am sure that he is one of the happiest people in the world right now. But please no more Gus Johnson in MMA.

As much I love Gus when he does NCAA basketball & football, keep him away from all things combat sports related. He's terrible on boxing & mma.

---------- Post added August-18th-2011 at 01:12 PM ----------

Dana said the Ultimate Fighter will be shown Live on FX.

---------- Post added August-18th-2011 at 01:27 PM ----------

First event on Fox is November 12th.

They're going to have to stack that card, Pacquiao/Marquez III is the same night.

I hope the press conference is archived somewhere or on YouTube. Because the intro to it game me chills. This was a big moment for the UFC and MMA in general, and it really seems like Fox is going to embrace it.

It was funny though when they were introducing the fighters and the camera man put up GSP when Frankie Edgar got announced and Edgar when GSP was announced. Just a sliiiiight mistake.

In addition to what SU mentioned, there will be 32 live fights a year Friday nights on FX (24 live Ultimate Fighter fights, 2 Ultimate Fighter finales and 6 Fight night cards) and four live events on Fox. Or "Big Fox" as Dana was calling it.

Most of the top fighters are already scheduled for fights around that time, or will be fighting in the coming weeks. It might not be against Overeem, but I'm fairly certain Brock will be on the Fox card.

You could still have Brock-Overeem on PPV, and still put something good together for Fox. Someone that I was thinking about for the Fox debut:

DAN_HENDERSON.jpg

One of the reasons he went to Strikeforce was to fight on network TV. Well, that did not necessarily work out very well the first time. I am sure he would like to give it another shot. I have no idea who he would fight though, since the fight I wanted has been derailed with Lyoto being booked against Phil Davis.

I figured that Mir could be on there as well, but I have no idea who either of them would fight. A lot of guys are already booked and the fights that seem easy to make are rematches of fights that I don't know if people want to see again.

http://mma.sbnation.com/2011/8/18/2371361/brock-lesnar-ufc-on-fox-return-diverticulitis-2012-dana-white

Former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar has begun to make his rounds after recovering from a second severe battle with the large intestine disease, diverticulitis. After making his first post-surgery appearance in a video released earlier this week, many have speculated that the divisive behemoth could be gearing up to make a return at the UFC's inaugural promotion on Fox.

The idea makes sense. Lesnar is undoubtedly the company's biggest draw, and his mere presence would ensure the new network partners' November 12th event opens with a bang.

Unfortunately, according to UFC President Dana White, Lesnar's early return is simply wishful-thinking. (Via MMAWeekly.com).

"Brock's going to get back in the gym in September and start training again -- because he hasn't done anything since his surgery, training-wise -- so Brock will probably be back the first of the year [2012]."

While the news isn't really that surprising, it is somewhat disappointing. With most of the organization's big stars either unavailable or tied to other events, one has to wonder what magic White and UFC matchmaker Joe Silvia will be able to muster for the biggest stage in company history.