Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

although i'm more looking forward to Jose Aldo's fight. that dude is a beast, and only 22.

Me too, that fight's going to be good, but I've got Aldo by stoppage at some point.

Does anyone know anything about the guy that "Cowboy" Cerrone is fighting?

i'm not sure what it is about Faber, but i find myself rooting against him everytime he fights. in every interview, he comes off as a likable guy, trains hard, respects the sports, does alot for up-and-coming prospects, and is one of the more exciting guys in the sport.

yet and still i find myself rooting against him everytime

i can't find logic in my actions. lol

Does anyone know anything about the guy that "Cowboy" Cerrone is fighting?

he's undefeated & tall (future redskin WR signing), but hasn't faced anywhere near the level of competition that Cerrone represents. i see this as WEC looking to get Cerrone back on the winning side of things

Edited by StillUnknown

i'm not sure what it is about Faber, but i find myself rooting against him everytime he fights. in every interview, he comes off as a likable guy, trains hard, respects the sports, does alot for up-and-coming prospects, and is one of the more exciting guys in the sport.

he is young. he is good looking. he is a bad ass. he is rich.

there ya go..thats why i hate that pretty mother****er!! :silly:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=ApFABeQaU78dUHGb4RKQY_Q9Eo14?slug=mmajunkie-NFL_vets_join_TUF10&prov=mmajunkie&type=lgns

While the controversial Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson has stolen the spotlight by joining the show's cast, "The Ultimate Fighter 10" will be unique for another reason: the number of additional cast members who once competed in the National Football League.

Sources close to the cast members have exclusively told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) at least four former NFL players have been selected to compete on "The Ultimate Fighter 10," a heavyweights-only season of the UFC's reality series that debuts Sept. 16 on Spike TV.

Here's the crop of football-players-turned-MMA-fighters you're likely to see on "The Ultimate Fighter 10" in September:

Marcus Jones, the 1996 first-round draft pick of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, enters "TUF" with a 4-1 professional MMA record, which includes four first-round victories via stoppage (with an average time of just 91 seconds per win). Three of the wins came via TKO and one via submission.

The 35-year-old played football at the University of North Carolina, where he was a four-time letterman, an All-American and the 1995 ACC Defensive Player of the Year. The 6-foot-6 defensive tackle played six NFL seasons with the Bucs. In his best season, 2000, he ranked eighth in the league with 13 sacks. He spent two additional seasons with the Buffalo Bills (but didn't play in the regular season) before giving up the sport. Soon after, he joined instructor Rob Kahn at Gracie Tampa and eventually made his professional MMA debut in 2007.

Matt Mitrione, who had a nine-game stint with the New York Giants in 2002, will be one of the season's least-experienced fighters (on paper, anyway). He has no professional fights, according to the major fighter databases, though he reportedly has fought as an amateur.

The 30-year-old Illinois native was an All-Big Ten defensive tackle for Purdue University. He went un-drafted after his senior year in 2000 but still earned his way into the NFL as a free agent. In addition to the Giants, the 6-foot-4 Mitrione spent some time with the Minnesota Vikings (though he didn't appear in any regular-season games for the team) before leaving the NFL in 2006.

Brendan Schaub, a 6-foot-4 fullback for the University of Colorado who spent some time with (but didn't play for) the Buffalo Bills, is 4-0 as a professional MMA fighter. He's often compared to his longtime training partner, undefeated UFC heavyweight Shane Carwin. Like Carwin, Schaub has made quick work of his opponents since turning pro in 2008. In four professional fights, he has four first-round TKOs, and the average length of each fight is just 59 seconds.

The 26-year-old Colorado native played for the Arena Football League's Utah Blaze before focusing solely on MMA. Schaub, the son of a second-degree Tae Kwon Do black belt, is a Golden Gloves boxing champion and the 2008 Colorado Open Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Absolute Advanced Grand Champion. He currently trains with Greg Jackson's renowned Team Jackson camp in New Mexico and T's KO Fight Club in Colorado.

Wes Shivers, who had a short NFL stint with the Atlanta Falcons in 2000, is 0-1 as a professional and 4-0 as an amateur, according to MMA.tv's fighter database. (However, his record is listed as 6-0 in some places). The muscular 6-foot-7 fighter is well versed in grappling and Muay Thai and previously competed as a super heavyweight before a lack of available opponents prompted a move down to heavyweight.

The 32-year-old Team Hammer Hill fighter was a standout offensive lineman at Mississippi State University. The Tennessee Titans drafted him in the seventh round of the 2000 NFL Draft. After playing three games with the Falcons in 2000, he left the NFL and focused on his MMA career.

In addition to Jones, Mitrione, Schaub and Shivers, a fifth football vet earned a spot on the cast but was forced to give it up. If it weren't for an injury suffered just prior to the show's taping, former Texas Tech stand-out lineman and Indianapolis Colts practice-squad member Rex Richards would also be on the show.

However, a source close to the fighter told MMAjunkie.com that Richards suffered a partial MCL tear just five days before he was set to leave for Las Vegas. Doctors couldn't clear him to compete, so he was forced to give up his spot in the "TUF" house.

That's ****ing awesome, I guess he was pulling for the Lakers since he was sitting behind their bench lol.

its funny because he looks like an average middle age father type watching a game

........little do they know he could kill them all, possibly at the same time

Strikeforce *Sponsored by BALCO* Picks:

Phil Baroni vs. Joe Riggs: the battle of underachievers. i'm almost guessing their will to not win will cancel each other out.

Riggs by TKO, 2nd Round

Kevin Randleman vs. Mike Whitehead: never been too impressed with Whitehead, but Randleman always relied alot on his athleticism to help him out, not real sure if he has enough in reserve to win

Mike Whitehead by Unanimous Decision

Andrei Arlovski vs. Brett Rogers: Rogers has a puncher's chance only. fortunate for him Arlovski's chin is MMA's version of fine china. an upset here is possible, just not very likely.

Arlovski by TKO, 1st Round

Nick Diaz vs. Scott Smith: Smith is the master at pulling out a victory just before he's almost finished in fights. he withstood the bombs from BJ Radach, i'm don't think Diaz has the power to bother his chin. Diaz could make this easy and turn Smith into a grappling dummy, but Diaz is an idiot so he will stand. Diaz will be successful on the feet for a bit, but Smith will catch him with somethin brutal and end the fight

Scott Smith by TKO, round 3

Robbie Lawler vs. Jake Shields: striker vs. grappler. Shields has very bad striking, Robbie Lawler has pretty good striking. Shields is excellent on the ground, but Lawler's takedown D is much improved. i don't see it ending on the ground, which is bad news for Shields

Lawler by TKO, 2nd Round

Strikeforce: Quarterfinals to Cung Le, pickaroonies:

Phil Baroni vs. Joe Riggs: Baroni, since he reminds us more of a pro wrestler these days, should go for an elbow from the top of the cage and immediately transition in to a sharp-shooter. "Diesel's" back problems will guarantee a quick tap. Oh wait, Baroni sucks. Riggs, TKO, round 2.

Kevin Randleman vs. Mike Whitehead: I'm looking forward to seeing how many times Randleman can bench press 220. Otherwise, it's a fight. Whitehead TKO, rd 1.

Andrei Arlovski vs. Brett Rogers: I think Arlovski loses this and Rogers makes a big splash. He dismantled a fast striker with ease in his last outing. If he tags Arlovski's china-cabinet chin with anything I think this fight is in the books. And if Fedor's in the crowd and Andrei catches a glimpse of him, automatic KO. Rogers, TKO (Fedor sighting), rd 3.

Nick Diaz vs. Scott Smith: I think Nick passes da blunt to Smith and they all cool and **** then Scott OUT OF NOWHERE loses his high and nails Diaz right before he's about to pass out from succumbing to the hot-box. Smith, miracle ass-whip, rd 2.

Robbie Lawler vs. Jake Shields: The only thing that might be more exciting than watching Jake Shields fight is everything that has ever existed. I mean really, he's probably started this streak of subbing people cuz they get so ****in' bored while fighting him that they forget they're in one. Perhaps they're thinking about something more exciting during the fight, FOR EXAMPLE:

- Watching flies ****

- Knitting

- Watching a PBS Pledge drive

- Going to the MVA

- Watching Arlovski vs. Werdum

In all seriousness, this is one of those fights in which one fighter is all about the ground and the other is all about the stand up. Lawler should win this if it's decided on the feet. But I think Shields wins this by reading Lawler a 600 page bedtime story. Triangle, Round 2.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Strikeforce Picks:

Phil Baroni vs. Joe Riggs: I can't help buit like Baroni. He is always funny, entertaining, and loves to fight. He is riding a three fight win streak since going down to 170. that is a much better weight class for him. Here is a quote on how Baroni trains for a fight:

“I know it to be a fact, man, especially when it comes to taking punches. You take punches better when you abstain from, ah … punching your own loads out … I’m not a scientist. [Not having sex before a fight] makes you f****n’ mean, I’ll tell you that much. I’m lean and mean right now. It f****n’ works. You don’t think so, then don’t do it — you’re not a fighter anyway, so who cares? … I more than [make it up to my wife] when I don’t have a fight. My wife could use a break anyway. It was a lot easier when I wasn’t married; you could just bring ‘em in the room, one after another, line ‘em up, like when I was in Japan. But I’m married now, so the wife needs a break once in a while.”

I can't argue with that.

Baroni by TKO, 1st Round

Kevin Randleman vs. Mike Whitehead: This one is a toss up. I'll go with the newly rededicated Randleman

Randleman by decision

Andrei Arlovski vs. Brett Rogers: I am not a fan of Arlovski. I think he has always been overrated. If I had to put even money on this fight I would take AA by decision. AA will keep the distance and fight a smart boxing match. I bet he gets more boos and than lands power shots. Hopefully Rpgers can cut him off and get some exchanges with him. I'm going to pretend this thread is in Vegas and take the underdog with the odds.

Rogers by TKO, 2nd Round

Nick Diaz vs. Scott Smith: Diaz is from the 209. Scott Smith isn't.

Diaz by amrmbar, round 3

Robbie Lawler vs. Jake Shields:I've been saying for a while now that Lawler is the 2nd best middleweight in the world. Shields' only chance is to pull guard and slip on a sub. I don't see that happening.

Lawler by TKO, 2nd Round

Looks like we only agree on one fight, SU. Should be a good card.

I'm taping the fights tonight and watching them with the WEC card tomorrow night so here are my WEC picks:

Faber. No knock on Brown. Brown is a great fighter. I just see Faber taking this one. Probably see a trilogy at that point.

Aldo over Swanson. I expect this one to be a great fight. Aldo gets the edge.

Cerrone wins.

Pulver gets back on track. I don't know much about Grispi, but I know that I don't want to see Pulver keep losing.

Maybe this will change your mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOQLg7Kc8So

i'm kinda surprised at the love Rogers is getting

people have no faith in AA's chin. lol

I think it has more to do with the fact that AA is coming into this fight on short notice. I had a hard time picking that fight and chose rogers based on that.

I'm taping the fights tonight and watching them with the WEC card tomorrow night so here are my WEC picks:

Faber. No knock on Brown. Brown is a great fighter. I just see Faber taking this one. Probably see a trilogy at that point.

Aldo over Swanson. I expect this one to be a great fight. Aldo gets the edge.

Cerrone wins.

Pulver gets back on track. I don't know much about Grispi, but I know that I don't want to see Pulver keep losing.

I didn't realize Cowboy was fighting. He's one of my favorite fighters. Can't wait for that one now.

Such a good weekend for MMA fans!

Edited by Opiate-Zeo