Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

I have been watching it from time to time. I was skeptical at first as to what the quality would be, but from what I have seen, it has been pretty good.

Looks like it's a developmental league. There are some good young prospects.

They had the 2 best lightweights fight the other night. Remember these names: Bart Palecheski and Chris Horodesky. They will be fighting in the UFC someday soon. Chris won a split decision over Bart, but Bart had him almost choked out in the 1st round until Chris was able to make his was thru the ropes to get the break from the ref. (Another reason I prefer UFC. CAGE!)

The goal is is to unify the rules. That is the priority, and it makes sense. Dana White is on record as saying he likes knees on the ground. However he and the UFC are bound by whatever the Nevada Athletic State Commission asks, and they don;t like knees on the ground because they are a boxing association that does MMA on the side and they don't know what they are doing. Until these athletic commissions start getting educated on MMA there won't be knees to the head in the US which means that in order to maintain a consistency in rules, Pride can't allow them either. It sucks, but I think it will eventually change.

Just a pet peeve of mine: It is an AP report, not an ESPN report. They are just putting it on their site (which is good news).

Yeah, but it just bugs me to no end about the knees. Especially during the Couture vs Sylvia fight. Not that I wasn't happy to see Couture take down Sylvia, but I remember at one point in the fight Tim was almost in a sprawl position, and Randy was bent all the way over, still on his feet, but he had his hands on the mat. Big John kept saying "He's on the ground, no knees, no knees." even though he was still on his feet. It's just a little technicality that Randy used very wisely. His head was completely exposed and it was a perfect oppurtunity for a knee or two that could of legimitely changed the entire outcome of the fight if Tim was able to land a couple of big knees to the head.

That being said, I hope you and I are both right that the rule will eventually be changed. However, I still maintain that soccer kicks and stomps to a downed opponent should remain illegal.

This is a very interesting article, covering the PRIDE-UFC merger annoucement event, from Sherdog. This is the best part:

"Fertitta has the microphone and said PRIDE will continue world-wide. He discusses his love for the style of MMA PRIDE promoted, and wants to make the sport of MMA like baseball or soccer. Fertitta discusses a mixed martial arts "Super Bowl" with UFC fighters like Randy Couture, Tim Sylvia, Chuck Liddell, Matt Hughes, Diego Sanchez, B.J. Penn facing PRIDE stars such as Fedor Emelianenko, Wanderlei Silva, Mauricio Rua, Dan Henderson, Shinya Aoki, Tatsuya Kawajiri, Takanori Gomi and Hayato Sakurai."

One word: Incredible. That would be one of the greatest atheletic events in history.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=7086

Oh yeah, how does Diego Sanchez fail a drug test (marijuana) in Dec and we only hear about it now? (http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=3653&zoneid=13)

That fight was in California. They don't release the drug test info like Nevada does. It is public record, but they don't send out press releases. Obviously the UFC knew, but you can't expect them to volunteer that info.

That fight was in California. They don't release the drug test info like Nevada does. It is public record, but they don't send out press releases. Obviously the UFC knew, but you can't expect them to volunteer that info.

In addition, the UFC did not acknowledge Sanchez' drug test failure on its web site, despite the fact that the company has posted brief stories on its web site acknowledging all other drug test failures for UFC fighters since the beginning of 2006, including Thiago Alves' positive test for a banned diuretic just a few weeks after Sanchez' positive test for marijuana.

UFC obviously playing favorites.

In addition, the UFC did not acknowledge Sanchez' drug test failure on its web site, despite the fact that the company has posted brief stories on its web site acknowledging all other drug test failures for UFC fighters since the beginning of 2006, including Thiago Alves' positive test for a banned diuretic just a few weeks after Sanchez' positive test for marijuana.

UFC obviously playing favorites.

I really doubt they are playing favorites. As Sebowski noted, Sanchez' fight was in California, and they do not release the results. Although it could have been found, it was not common knowledge. Alves' was in Nevada, where they release the results if someone fails a test. I imagine that when this happens, UFC posts a blurb on their site because it has already been released and it is common information.

For example, in the story linked below about Alves, the first line is "according to the Nevada State Athletic Commission, American Top Team fighter Thiago Alves tested positive for the banned substance Spironolactone." Nevada routinely releases this information, California does not.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=3224&zoneid=1

St. Pierre vs. Serra and Sanchez vs. Koschek tonight. I can't get it. :(

I hope somebody will be here to give updates. (?) :)

I'd love to see St. Pierre and Serra. I'd bet Diego beats Koschek but it'd be nice to see. Diego is on a long mission. He's the best fighter to come straight from Ultimate Fighter. I don't see him getting stopped until he has the belt.

As far as Serra...dude has got game, maybe St. Pierre will kick him in the balls a few times. :silly: I really like St. Pierre, I hope he wins so he can defend his title against Hughes again. Should be a good night. Update us guys!

I'd love to see St. Pierre and Serra. I'd bet Diego beats Koschek but it'd be nice to see. Diego is on a long mission. He's the best fighter to come straight from Ultimate Fighter. I don't see him getting stopped until he has the belt.

As far as Serra...dude has got game, maybe St. Pierre will kick him in the balls a few times. :silly: I really like St. Pierre, I hope he wins so he can defend his title against Hughes again. Should be a good night. Update us guys!

George should beat Matt Serra pretty handily if he's anywhere close to the condition he was in when he fought Matt Hughes.

I'm not big on either Sanchez or Koschek but I suppose I'm rooting for Kos just to see Sanchez knocked off his pedestal.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think either of the two fights are even going to be close. St. Pierre by royal ass whooping (and whatever he wants to use to end it), and Sanchez by knockout. Kos has NO standup at all, and his lay n' pray tactics will get him sub'd. He's ****ed royally in this match. If he stands, it'll be a KO. If/when he wrestles Diego to the matt, he's gonna get sub'd.

Serra's got no chance. Pierre only kicked Hughes down there once. The other time Hughes faked it. Hughes will lost again in the rubber match.

Well I ordered it. Should be a fun night. I think everybody is way high on GSP, which he has earned...but Serra is a little bulldog. I think he'll be game for this match. Still got St. Pierre in this one...so maintain your boner.

I think Koschek is more of an underdog than Serra. Diego is a madman. But anything can happen in MMA. Don't be suprised if there is an upset tonight.

I have St. Pierre early in the 3rd and Diego early in the 2nd.

results so far?

Kendall Grove dominated and ended with a darce choke

Swick lost unanimous dec to Okami. Everything was stacked against Okami seriously. The crowd aint like him since Swick was the hometown boy and Yamasaki kept standing him up.

Oh yeah Big Nog is now part of the UFC.

Keep updating boys....i'm watching the Ultimate Fighter premiere on tivo and wondering how GSP will kill Serra.....who did Kendall beat?

Huerta won in a one sided beatdown.

Kos beats Sanchez in one of the most boring fights I've seen in a while. No LnP but still boring.

Matt Serra is the new Welterweight Champ! TKO'd the F out of St. Pierre in the middle of the first. A few big lefts did the job. What a freaking tank! Got on top of him and landed about 8 or 9 thick blasts to his dome. Serra basically dominated the fight.

Diego looked horrible today. He lost in a decision. Koscheck played him like a piano. Most boring fight I've ever seen.

Guess it wasn't out of the question for an upset!! We had two of them! Wow, is all I have to say.