Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

This is a tough one for me too. I like Herring a lot, but I hope Lesnar wins. You have to respect Dana for throwing him against some pretty tough guys right out of the gate. I would be interested to see the odds on that fight, because he could easily lose this fight.

Nothing against Mark Coleman, but I am a lot more interested in this fight now that Herring has stepped in.

Heath Herring's kind of like Kevin Randleman, both get in there and fight like hell against the best but never get a lot of wins.

I don't think Herring will get that foot high enough in the air to rock Lesnar the way he did Big Nog. He better rely on his submission skills because Brock will most likely come out firing big shots like he did vs. Mir.

I'd have to lean towards picking Lesnar simply for his size and power. (Not my "official" pick yet though.)

I don't think Herring will get that foot high enough in the air to rock Lesnar the way he did Big Nog. He better rely on his submission skills because Brock will most likely come out firing big shots like he did vs. Mir.

I'd have to lean towards picking Lesnar simply for his size and power. (Not my "official" pick yet though.)

i keep remembering how Jake O'Brien took Herring down whenever he wanted. then i remember that Herring couldn't defend a takedown from Cheick Kongo of all people.

Heath better hope Brock comes in wanting to stand for some reason

I'd be offended if I wasn't your sig *****.

SELF-IMPOSED sig *****. You and your darned pride. Let's figure out a bet for the next event.

I figure one of these 3 fights will do:

Lesnar vs. Herring

GSP vs. Fitch

Huerta vs. Florian

Pick a fight. I'll take whomever you don't.

SELF-IMPOSED sig *****. You and your darned pride. Let's figure out a bet for the next event.

Lesnar vs. Herring

GSP vs. Fitch

Huerta vs. Florian

Now that is confidence.

Now that is confidence.

:laugh:

Actually 'Lando has taken the "underdog" in our last few bets so I figure this time he deserves to pick first.

However- If I beat him this time he may run screaming off a cliff before he ever takes office as ES Prez. :)

Lesnar vs. Herring - eh doesnt interest me in a bet

GSP vs. Fitch - this is a no brainer and not much fun

Huerta vs. Florian - Give me the Flo

Look at GSP vs. Penn. GSP took Penn down at will i.e. effectively controlling the fight even though his face looked like road rash after the bout and he won because he was a) the aggressor and B) controlled the majority of the bout.

I don't like takedown points. Yes, I acknowledge accomplishing a takedown is you imposing your will over your opponent, HOWEVER this is only to a certain extent. The point of a takedown is to 1) cause damage to your opponent by slamming them 2) get them on the ground so you can GnP them or 3) get them on the ground so you can submit them. This is MMA not wrestling. If all you're doing is taking your opponent down for the sake of taking them down and not accomplishing any of the 3 aforementioned goals, a judge should no longer be impressed. This is also not to mention the "desparation takedown". Judges should not be impressed by someone haphazardly getting a takedown because they got rocked by a punch/kick and grabbed onto a single/double leg to keep from falling over.

Look at Chuck vs. Jardine. Keith Jardine's face looked like hamburger because he got hit with just a few of Chuck's power shots but in the end he leg kicked Chuck way more than Chuck landed shots to his face (and landed a few power shots of his own), that's why judging on damage is decieving. Jardine clearly won that fight but if you had to decide the winner by damage then Jardine would've lost.

I wasn't just talking about damage to the face, I like leg kicks and I acknowledge solidly landed ones as scores even though you can't see the damage done by them as easily as punches to the face. If you eat too many leg kicks you can't put your weight on that leg as easily to put power in your punches, shoot for a takedown, or chase down a stunned opponent. Looking back at Rampage vs. Griffin, I can think of at least 3 times in the later rounds where Rampage got the better of a punching exchange, stunned Forrest, but couldn't chase him down and capitalize because of his bum leg. I believe that punches to the face are harder to land than leg kicks and therefore should take precedence over them when comparing what each fighter landed when trying to score a round.

I don't like takedown points. Yes, I acknowledge accomplishing a takedown is you imposing your will over your opponent, HOWEVER this is only to a certain extent. The point of a takedown is to 1) cause damage to your opponent by slamming them 2) get them on the ground so you can GnP them or 3) get them on the ground so you can submit them. This is MMA not wrestling. If all you're doing is taking your opponent down for the sake of taking them down and not accomplishing any of the 3 aforementioned goals, a judge should no longer be impressed. This is also not to mention the "desparation takedown". Judges should not be impressed by someone haphazardly getting a takedown because they got rocked by a punch/kick and grabbed onto a single/double leg to keep from falling over.

I don't mind takedown points and I understand why they count like they do. If a fighter simply can't defend takedowns from an opponent then that opponent has superior wrestling ability and should be rewarded accordingly by the point system even if they are desperation takedowns. If the desperation takedown is a fluke and they get a haphazardly single/double like you said then no that shouldn't count but if a guy has been getting takedowns all fight and gets rocked by a punch or kick then he should still get points for getting the takedown and getting himself out of trouble on the feet, especially if he can land some GnP or sub attempts that his opponent has to struggle to stay out of.

I wasn't just talking about damage to the face, I like leg kicks and I acknowledge solidly landed ones as scores even though you can't see the damage done by them as easily as punches to the face. If you eat too many leg kicks you can't put your weight on that leg as easily to put power in your punches, shoot for a takedown, or chase down a stunned opponent. Looking back at Rampage vs. Griffin, I can think of at least 3 times in the later rounds where Rampage got the better of a punching exchange, stunned Forrest, but couldn't chase him down and capitalize because of his bum leg. I believe that punches to the face are harder to land than leg kicks and therefore should take precedence over them when comparing what each fighter landed when trying to score a round.

I pretty much agree here but in that specific fight Rampage wasn't making any attempt to check the leg kicks. He was simply taking them on that leg that was already hurt from the earlier round.

But I'm tired of talking about that fight, I think we've got like 5 pages of Forrest vs. Rampage discussion on here :laugh:

Like I said before, it was such a close fight that I wouldn't have been upset with Rampage winning, Forrest winning, or a draw. I can see an argument for all three outcomes.

What I can't see, are people who say that one fighter was dominant over the other because neither fighter was.

*Also, I know you're pissed because ATT was 1 out of 3, but your boy Cole Miller looked damn good against Jorge Gurgel and I think he won sub of the night if I'm not mistaken

Arlovski has been training with Freddie Roach, who will be in his corner at Affliction. apparently there is some serious talk of Arlovski having a professional boxing match later this year.

Is this guy having some sort of identity crisis? He's all over the place these days.

Arlovski is NOT a great boxer in my opinion and he lost to Silva because of his attempts to box instead of MMA fight...

training with Roach will definitely improve his boxing. Roach is responsible for turning Manny Pacquiao from a brawler, to a great boxer that he is now

i don't see Arlovski having any success in a boxing ring, but working with Roach will definitely make his MMA stand-up game much much better

training with Roach will definitely improve his boxing. Roach is responsible for turning Manny Pacquiao from a brawler, to a great boxer that he is now

i don't see Arlovski having any success in a boxing ring, but working with Roach will definitely make his MMA stand-up game much much better

Oh, I thought he was trying to transition to straight boxing.

If he is just trying to round out his game then I can see this as a good thing.

Oh, I thought he was trying to transition to straight boxing.

If he is just trying to round out his game then I can see this as a good thing.

he could be trying to transition. i heard rumors of him being on the undercard of De La Hoya's last fight.

i don't think its smart on his part, but he's definitely entertaining the idea of a switch to boxing.

he could be trying to transition. i heard rumors of him being on the undercard of De La Hoya's last fight.

i don't think its smart on his part, but he's definitely entertaining the idea of a switch to boxing.

It's not smart at all. If he gets flattened in a straight-up boxing match, he's gonna drop off the map. He's already in limbo and this seems like a desperate move.