Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

a couple of interesting points from Anderson's interview with Sherdog:

Sherdog.com: Is the [light heavyweight] belt also in your plans?

Silva: No, it’s not in my plans. I think that this belt is Lyoto Machida (Pictures)’s. At 93 kg, we also have Paulão, Feijão, Rogério Minotouro and many other good fighters. My division is 84 kg -- I will keep myself in it. If there is a fight at 93 kg, I will still be doing it, but I don’t have the intention of fighting for the belt. This is something that is out of my plans. I hope that people can understand that. Lyoto is the one who has to take this belt. This is already more than proved. He has proved that he is able of being the keeper of the belt. We are a team, a family, and nobody is here to steal the other’s place. Each one of us has his own place. They help me a lot. It was a team decision to put me in a fight at 93 kg. I asked for their opinion, for us to reach a decision in agreement. They found it valid, which is very good, and it won’t harm anyone. My objective is to go there, do my job and come back to my division as fast as possible.

Sherdog.com: Anderson, you have been considered the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world. You have dominated all of your opponents and you are one of the greatest stars in the sport nowadays. How do you see the great stage of your career and how do you deal with all of these things?

Silva: Look, I deal with all of these very easily. I’m doing my job. I do my fights, come back home and train, see my mistakes and successes. I’m trying to improve each day, searching for something that is almost impossible: perfection. It’s impossible, but we have to keep on trying and while I continue fighting, I’ll keep my mind on this objective. I don’t think I am the best of the pound-for-pound like Dana White said. I don’t think I am the best in my division. I will only be able to say that to you when I quit fighting. Then I will be able to say that I was good at that, that in my time I was in my best form, in my weight and in my division. It’s just that nowadays, I’m not. I still have many things to do. I still have to fight a lot, and of course defeats will come, too, but many victories as well. I have my feet on the ground in relation to this kind of thought. I know I’m not unbeatable, but I’ve been training hard. [Eventually] someone better than me will appear, for sure, and will win. The overcoming, the getting over, the devotion -- this is what matters.

to be as talented as he is, he still is grounded in reality. as much hype around him as it is, and justifiably so, he isn't buying into it

Rampage Jackson's UFC rival and close personal friend Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell has finally broken his silence on yesterday's craziness, telling TheDirty.com:

"I know Rampage in and out of the ring. He is a great showman in the ring and a smart level-leaded businessman outside of it. I am shocked over this. It's really out of character for him. I don't know all the details on what happened, but i just hope everyone involved is ok."

0716_rampage_mug3.jpg

ignore the andy dick photo...:laugh:

rampage doesnt look crazed or drugged out..he just looks like rampage.

Rampage Jackson's UFC rival and close personal friend Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell has finally broken his silence on yesterday's craziness, telling TheDirty.com:

"I know Rampage in and out of the ring. He is a great showman in the ring and a smart level-leaded businessman outside of it. I am shocked over this. It's really out of character for him. I don't know all the details on what happened, but i just hope everyone involved is ok."

ignore the andy dick photo...:laugh:

rampage doesnt look crazed or drugged out..he just looks like rampage.

maybe Chuck passed him some of his personal stash:

i5pykz.gif

Jose Canseco (6-4, 248 lbs) got KO'd in a boxing match by Vai Sikahema a 5-9, 205 former kick returner for the Eagles....here are some pics:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0807/canseco.boxing.knockout/content.1.html

Canseco calls this "a step closer to a career in mixed martial arts" guess he wants to be another Johnnie Morton :laugh:

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson has been picked up by police again.

Sources say around 4:30 PM yesterday, friends who were hanging out with Rampage, waved down an Irvine police car after they were worried about his behavior. This, of course, following the insane chase the day before in which the UFC fighter hit several cars in his monster truck and was arrested at gunpoint.

We're told Irvine cops saw Rampage, deemed him a danger to himself and others, and took him to a hospital for observation. Rampage was very coopertive with police.

Cops won't officially confirm if it's a psychiatric hold.

damn, i hope Rampage gets his **** together.

on another note, UFC Countdown: Anderson Silva vs. James Irvin comes on tonight at 11pm(est) on SPIKE

the card on saturday is a full 3hrs, and with no title matches, i'm assuming we'll get to see almost every fight on the card.

Dana White = Vito Corleone of MMA

Machida vs. Thiago Silva added to UFC 89:

http://mmajunkie.com/news/4822/lyoto-machida-vs-thiago-silva-official-for-ufc-89.mma

An overwhelmingly important battle between unbeaten UFC light-heavyweight contenders Lyoto Machida (13-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) and Thiago Silva (13-0 MMA, 4-0 UFC) was recently added to a quickly filling UFC 89 card.

The UFC confirmed the bout on its official website.

UFC 89 takes place Oct. 18 at The National Indoor Arena in Birmingham, England, and features a main event between middleweights Michael Bisping and Chris Leben.

Machida, whose style incorporates a unique blend of karate and sumo wrestling, has been described by MMA fans as anything from masterful to atrocious. While not always overwhelming, Machida has been undeniably effective, earning decision victories in five of his last six victories.

Machida also holds wins over UFC veterans Stephan Bonner, Rich Franklin, B.J. Penn and Vernon White in bouts held in various worldwide MMA organizations.

Silva, while not able to claim as many wins over notable opponents as Machida, does bring a more fan-friendly, attacking style to the cage. The 25-year-old has earned 10 of his 13 wins by KO or TKO, and only four of his fights have made it out of the first round.

While not yet discussed by the UFC, the winner of this

Good matchup IMO. :applause:

my predictions (the most reliable on ExtremeSkins of course :D )

UFC Fight Night: Silva vs. Irvin

Anderson Silva vs. James Irvin: Irvin had a lil trouble getting to 205 during weigh-ins. Silva doesn't look that much different, definitely carrying a lil more around the chest though. this fight comes down to how fast Silva remains at 205 and whether Irvin can land that perfect shot to test Silva's chin. Irvin has said he's willing to take two shots to land one, not a smart strategy at all. Silva is to precise and will be long gone before Irvin can land his one shot.

Anderson Silva by TKO, 2nd Round

Brandon Vera vs. Reese Andy: i don't trust anyone who's last name can be a first name :mad: . Vera is still talking **** as usual, but Andy is essentially a hand-picked opponent designed to get Vera a win. anything less than pure domination by Vera will be bad sign for Vera.

Vera by Submission, 1st Round

Hermes Franca vs. Frankie Edgar: Franca returns for the first time since the suspension. the layoff will probably make him a little tentative in the 1st. Edgar is great fighter, but he belongs in the 145lb division, hell i don't even think he cuts more than 5-7lbs to make 155. Franca has more power, but Edgar is probably has better technique on the feet. on the ground, Franca has some pretty good bjj, so Edgar may not want to wrestle with him too much

Franca by Split Decision

Kevin Burns vs. Anthony Johnson: two of the better prospects in the WW division. Burns comes off his surprising submission of Carneiro & Johnson comes of the sick KO of Tommy Speer. next to Alves, Johnson may be the biggest WW in the UFC, he has great speed and power. i'm thinking Johnson will use his wrestling in reverse to keep the fight standing and end it with strikes.

Anthony Johnson by KO, 1st Round

Jake O'Brien vs. Cain Velazquez: two wrestlers, Cain is better. Cain also has better strikes. this could be a bit of bore if they get into a wrestling match

Velazquez by Unanimous Decision

C.B. Dalloway vs. Jesse Taylor: similar fighters, they're about even standing, slight edge to Dalloway in the wrestling. i think Dalloway will find a way to get a decision victory

Dalloway by Unanimous Decison

Affliction: Banned

Fedor vs. Tim Sylvia: Timmay will look to keep it standing, Fedor will look to get to the ground. Timmay has good takedown defense, but Fedor is very explosive in the clinch, and usually finds away to get the fight to ground somehow. once it hits the ground, Fedor has the best ground & pound in MMA, and is very good at applying armbars. Timmay should try to keep him at bay with his reach and work the distance as long as possible. its a 5 round fight, and Timmay will have to adjust to fighting in a ring as opposed to a cage. that could hurt him a little in defending takedowns.

Fedor by Submission, 3rd Round

Andrei Arlovski vs. Ben Rothwell: this is Rothwell's first real test against top competition. Arlovski's been training boxing with Freddy Roach so i expect his already powerful punches, to be refined with better technique.

Arlovski by TKO, 2nd Round

I just got my tickets on Ebay!!!

VIP Club Seats for $100 each.

Starting to get psyched! Leaving in a couple hrs.

Here are my picks for the big ones.

Note: Aleksander Emelianenko was denied a license by CSAC :mad:

I was really looking forward to that fight.

Fedor Emelianenko vs. Tim Sylvia

I think Sylvia has a real shot at winning this by decision. It would not surprise me much if that happens. That said, I can't pick against the king.

Fedor by armbar

Andrei Arlovski vs. Ben Rothwell

No secret that I am not a fan of Arlovski. I'm going upset here. Rothwell will control Andrei on the ground and...

Rothwell by decision

Josh Barnett Vs. Pedro Rizzo

Barnett is back!!! So glad he is fighting again. Hopefully he starts fighting more after this. One of my top two favorite fighters (BJ). Can't believe I'll be there live to watch him beat on the legend Pedro Rizzo. Rizzo used to be an amazing fighter. One of his fights with Coutre is still one of my favorites of all time. He is too long in the tooth for the Baby Faced Assassin right now. Barnett will erase the Rizzo blemish on his record in route to beating Fedor at the next Affliction show.

Barnett by Sub

Babalu Vs. Mike Whitehead

Whitehead has been on a tear recently winning 12 straight since his loss to Jardine in early '06. I am a Babalu homer though so....

Babalu by sub

On the the UFC

Silva vs. Irvin

Irvin weighed in over the limit at first. I think he is trying to be as big as possible for Silva. It won't matter. Silva will do whatever he wants with Irvin. I think this fight eventually goes to the ground and Silva shows off some BJJ

Silva by sub

Hermes Franca vs. Frankie Edgar

I like Hermes, but I think this turns into a wrestling match

Edgar by decision

I'm too excited about going to the Affliction show to keep this up. I'll take

Johnson by KO

CB by decision

Vera by KO

Vasquez by sub

Thats BS. How do they give Burns the match? That should be a DQ. The guy got poked in the f'n eye multiple times.

complete bull****. thats like soccer kicking someone on the ground and being declared the winner. wrong is wrong, and that decision was damn wrong.

Anthony Johnson showed alot of class in the post-fight interview though.