Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Main Card Predictions:

Tyson Griffin vs. Marcus Aurelio:

This fight is going to be a war. Griffin is an awesome wrestler and striker (with sick takedown defense) and Aurelio has nasty jiu jitsu. Aurelio is going to have a very hard time taking this fight to the ground though.

Griffin unanimous decision

Josh Koscheck vs. Chris Lytle:

I have every reason to believe that Koscheck will throw Lytle around and control the match with his wrestling. But Lytle has vowed to take his training more seriously and put on a better show.

Lytle by KO Round 1.

Joe Stevenson vs. Gleison Tibau:

Tibau is a lot bigger LW than Joe Daddy but Stevenson is the better all-around fighter. If Stevenson can get inside Tibau's reach he can probably outstrike him and they are pretty even on the mat. Stevenson is needs a win after the way he was brutalized by BJ Penn.

Stevenson by unanimous decision (sorry mvisit1 lol)

Patrick Cote vs. Ricardo Almeida:

Classic grappler vs. striker match-up. Cote can end the fight with a (T)KO if it stays standing but if he's taken down, Almeida's almost guaranteed to finish. Cote's ground game is too outmatched here.

Almeida by sub Round 2.

Main Event Jackson vs. Griffin:

Like I said in another thread, if I were putting money on this bout, I'd definitely take Rampage. However, Forrest can never be counted out and almost always comes through when he's put in an underdog role.

Forrest has a good chin and if he stands with Rampage he's going to need it because Rampage will outbox him for sure and get him down and G & P him ala' Keith Jardine.

Forrest could try and use the clinch, something that Rampage has had trouble defending in the past. But you have to believe that Rampage has been training hard to avoid the clinch and defend against knees, especially considering we used to see a lot of clinch work from Forrest when he was on TUF.

Forrest's other option would be to try and get Rampage down and use his jiu jitsu to either sub him or grind out a decision. The problem is, Rampage isn't easily taken down. Forrest will be a good test though because of his size.

I don't see Forrest being able to take this fight to the ground seeing as how Rampage's wrestling looked excellent against Dan Henderson.

Both of these guys have good cardio (that's something else Rampage proved to us in the Hendo fight) so we may be in for a 5-round war.

Rampage by TKO late in round 4

wow you guys actualy think Rampage is going to lose?

hes tough as nails and can throw down blow - 4 - blow with kimbo

im taking RAMPAGE JACKSON!!!!

and hes a good s$%^ talker

I realize there's no point in debating this issue, but I can't help myself. Kimbo outweighs Rampage by 40 lbs (at least). There's no chance Rampage could go "blow for blow" with Kimbo. Perhaps he could win an MMA contest with him, but no chance he has the same punching power.

That being said, I'm not expecting much from this card. If Forrest can make it to round 3, I think it will go to a decision in Rampage's favor. Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to make it that far.

My only other hope is that somehow, some way Kos gets KTFO. I really hate that douchebag.

This card sucks.

After the purchase of Pride, you would think that every card would be unreal.

Not the case.

Have to agree with you. Letting guys like Arlovski and Sylvia leave were stupid decisions. They are EXCELLENT filler even when they're not headlining. It's time for Dana to quit with this can-feeding mentality, and make some of the big boys go at it. Hell, the LHW division alone could have 3 or 4 high quality fights outside of the Forrest-Rampage fight (which, realistically, is not really even a good fight, just one that got a lot of hype). Dana needs to pick it up. And that free card to counter Affliction? :laugh: Give me a break. No chance I'll waste my Saturday night watching that snoozefest.

:applause: :applause:

Kos getting destroyed would make my evening, him and Bisping should fight next for biggest douche in the UFC title.

This is true. The title has been vacated ever since Tito got the boot. :laugh:

Shouldn't Diego automatically get a title shot with the winner?

This card sucks.

After the purchase of Pride, you would think that every card would be unreal.

Not the case.

While I already stated that I didn't think there were any upsets on the way tonight, I am interested in seeing these fights. Cote-Almeida, Kos-Lytle should be fun fights to watch... Tyson Griffin always gets in a close fight... Napao's return... and a LHW title match. I'm paying.

This is true. The title has been vacated ever since Tito got the boot. :laugh:

Shouldn't Diego automatically get a title shot with the winner?

Diego is most definitely a douche but not near contendership yet, he needs another fight over a nobody opponent where he can talk about how good he is and how he used all this special ninja training afterwards first.

Diego is most definitely a douche but not near contendership yet, he needs another fight over a nobody opponent where he can talk about how good he is and how he used all this special ninja training afterwards first.

So 'Lando- No post-fight booty calls tonight? :)

Thanks for the format, SU :cheers:

Joe Stevenson vs. Gleison Tibeau:

I like Joe. He should get back on track with this fight.

Stevenson by Submission

I'll be rooting for Marcus, but I think Griffin will control the fight and slip out of Aurelio's submission attempts.

Tyson Griffin by Decision

I don't like Koschek either. I hope Lytle beats the piss out of him. I don't see it happening. Koschek gets better every fight. He takes this one.

Koscheck by Decision

Cote is overrated. He better have been working solely on takedown defense for this one. Almeida will make quick work of Cote.

Almeida by Submission

Rampage vs. Forrest Griffin:

I like both these guys a lot. Forrest gets the edge for me because he doesn't owe all his success to Jebus like Rampage claims to. I will be rooting for Forrest, but....

Rampage by KO

What the heck, I'll throw in my half-assed predictions for tonight...

Joe Stevenson vs. Gleison Tibeau

Winner: Stevenson - 3nd round - Rear Naked Choke

Winner: Griffin - 3rd round - TKO

Winner: Koschek - 3nd Round - TKO

Winner: Almeida - 2nd round armbar. I just don't see Almeida standing up with Cote...and I hope he submits the holy hell out of that Canadian :D

Rampage vs. Forrest Griffin:

Winner: Rampage - I can't decide between a first round KO or a Unanimous decision. I'll go with 2nd round KO.

UFC 86 picks:

Decent undercard, not too painful. Could make for a few surprises. Awesome main event tonight. Two of the biggest personalities in the sport. One can only hope and pray it lasts a while and becomes a war.

Tyson Griffin vs. Marcus Aurelio: Tyson Griffin is pretty well rounded. Look for Aurelio trying to get to the ground and transfer in to dominant ground positions all night. The short and powerful Griffin, with his cow thighs, will be a tough number to take down for the BJJ fighter, Aurelio. I have a hard time believing Aurelio can come out on top if Gleison Tibau and Thiago Tavares can't beat Griffin. It will take a sluggish night for Griffin to lose this, like the way he looked against a streaking Frankie Edgar. Otherwise, Griffin by TKO G&P, round 2.

Josh Koscheck vs. Chris Lytle: Lytle is probably the first-defense gatekeeper at 170. A UFC journeyman who can put up a good fight here and there. He almost prevented Matt Serra from even sniffing the belt at the end of TUF "The Comeback". Koscheck could make a loud statment here that he is all about getting a title shot again. Matchups with Swick, Davis, Serra, Thiago Silva, Fitch, or GSP could all be in his very near future, but he's gotta give the low-tier guy a chance first. Name of the game. I like how he's taken on a methodical style, via the teachings of Randy Couture. Lytle has a puncher's chance, but if it goes all the way it should go to Koscheck. I think he's simply on a higher level. Koscheck, TKO G&P, round 3.

Gleison Tibau vs. Joe Stevenson: I love this matchup. Two young guys that very well could be champions in the future. Stevenson impressed me, if that was him under the layer of blood when he fought BJ Penn. What was expected, happened, but Stevenson did slow BJ down on the ground a bit. It took BJ a while to give him a blood transfusion. Tibau is an accomplished BJJ fighter, and both he and Joe Daddy have been fighting for around 10 years at their young ages. This will be an athletic chess match, I believe. I think Joe Daddy will get this, because of his quickness and anticipation. Joe Daddy, UD.

Patrick Cote vs. Ricardo Almeida: Cote needs to clip Almeida coming in, because I'm not sure Almeida wants to trade with Cote after his last couple of fights. Almeida, coming back from that 4 year layoff, should beware of a guy with hot hands. Sure Grove and McFedries aren't anything to write home about, but McFedries can trade haymakers at a decent level, and Cote put him on his butt. Cote has to pick his spots very carefully and hope to connect before Almeida shoots; because Almeida looked sick on the ground in his comeback fight, albeit it was to a UFC newcomer. Still, Almeida's coming back tells me he's confident he can beat people at Cote's level. When was the last time you saw a D'Arce choke? Almeida, by D'Arce, round 2.

Rampage Jackson vs. Forrest Griffin: Gosh, I've been so unable to make a clear-cut decision on what direction I want to go for this fight. Most of the time I concede that Rampage is just to explosive for Forrest Griffin, but Forrest is in a transitional period right now. He beat Shogun, who simply made Rampage look like a nobody, but Shogun looked more like a cauckgun against Forrest, so how can you really judge. One can even argue that Forrest subbing Shogun wasn't, technically speaking, that impressive. Shogun was so winded he couldn't even defend the choke. Which brings up another factor, Rampage's stamina. He always talks about how he hates training. Forrest likes pain. Forrest survived a mini-Iditorod against Stephan Bonnar, Rampage has looked winded after missing a dozen of his ICBM punches. We know Rampage looked good, stamina-wise, against Dan Henderson...but when has Dan Henderson ever pushed a quick and straining pace? Most of that fight was haymakers and grappling, then stand-offs. Randy will have had to instill in Forrest that he has to be aggressive with the grappling, and not wait for Rampage to make his moves. Punching with Rampage should be out of the question, so Forrest has to utilize the clinch and wrestle with a scary wrestler. Watch out for slams tonight. But watch out for Forrest on the ground. He is a big 205'er and I think he can really hurt Rampage if he ends up on top. I think he can survive on the bottom, too. But I think this fight gets decided in the greco and thai clinches. Forrest will look to transition from greco to thai, releasing some quick knees. Rampage will look to do his first UFC bodyslam. But Forrest has to watch out if there's a scramble, because Rampage has lazer-guided missiles ready to clip him when he's regaining his footing. I think Rampage takes this and wants Wanderlei to come fight him for the belt. Looks like 'Page will be the champion for a while, unless Anderson...well, whatever. I'm a huge fan of both Forrest and Rampage, but I'll be rooting for Forrest because he's the Dog in this fight. I think Rampage clips him in the 2nd round. Rampage, KO, Round 2.