Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

^^^

Good to see BJ Penn still involved at UFC events.

That was a bit much by McGregor. A stare down from the cage would have been good. But acting like and escapee from the loony bin in front of Aldo (and his wife and daughter??) was a bit much.

Jose Aldo is a boss. Aldo could probably take Connor down at will. Does anyone know what Connor said in the post fight interview, Spanish feed always cuts it off.

Connor said everyone he fights says he's all talk, but they don't mention the skill because they know he has it. Again said he'd run through the entire division and will take out Aldo. Also made a joke that he meant 2 rounds, not 2 minutes.

Aldo said he was a "court jester" and that the fight is good for the UFC and division.

Edited by Rocket442Olds

I think it'll be an interesting fight, but I'm not as quick to dismiss this as easy work for Aldo as most. 

McGregor has great instincts and reaction. I don't know of anyone else in that division close to his stand-up. Similar to when Machida came into the LHW division, it takes time for folks to figure these guys out, and McGregor is loose enough and mixes his style up enough that it may be hard even with more tape on him.

It all comes down to whether Aldo could get him down. I would definitely say he won't get him down at will, but he will at some point. Its whether McGregor can get back up that is the question.

• Like 1

I think Aldos speed will play a huge role. Siver might as well be a creaking retiree compared to the blurring speed Aldo brings to the table. He doesn't need to take Conor down until Conor proves that his strikes can hit a fighter as fast as Aldo, Conor's hand speed isn't amazing but he is accurate. He also needs to prove that he can protect his front leg because Aldo will cripple him in less than two rounds if he can't.

Edited by Destino

Well that went as planned. Kid's a good striker. If he beats Aldo, how do they keep him away from the wrestlers then? I guess the plan is he's worked on his ground game enough by then. I'm not impressed by stopping Siver's takedowns, he's not known for them.

The top 10 of the division says it all; the guys ahead of him he's jumping are Edgar, Lamas, Mendes & Swanson, the guys behind him he hasn't fought are Lentz, Bermudez & Oliveria. Talk about an easy path through a mine field.

After the fight, Joe mentioned Aldo was coming in the ring- I thought bad idea, but I live it, Jose might flying double knee his way into the ring & Conor wanted to go- so Conor replies to get his spit bucket for Aldo to polish up the belt for him while ge has it. When Joe told him Aldo ain't coming in, he said he left for Brazil with that spitbucket.

I can already see the reebok t- shirts with a spitbucket on them after those slick McGregor crest T's his corner had on. Should be a good fight.

Does Cowboy get the next shot after RDA now or was that not good enough?

I think Aldos speed will play a huge role. Siver might as well be a creaking retiree compared to the blurring speed Aldo brings to the table. He doesn't need to take Conor down until Conor proves that his strikes can hit a fighter as fast as Aldo, Conor's hand speed isn't amazing but he is accurate. He also needs to prove that he can protect his front leg because Aldo will cripple him in less than two rounds if he can't.

I agree on that.

However, for as loud as he is, I'm pretty sure he is aware what areas he needs to work on, and he wouldn't stand like that for the leg kicks with Aldo. Pourier landed some leg kicks, but he was circling much more when fighting him knowing he had to keep moving. 

He knows how to play the game to get folks to listen and watch, but he seems like someone who just loves to gobble up information and knowledge when it comes to the chess-match of fighting. Thats where I think he is dangerous. 

Aldo, Mendes, Lamas, Frankie are gonna work him. For a guy to get a title shot after beating two fringe top 10 fighters is a joke. It teaches the young fighters to be big mouth d-bags to get what you want. The guy is very talented but the stepup in talent is huge now. Smart of Dana to cash in now I guess.

Does Cowboy get the next shot after RDA now or was that not good enough?

I think if Dagestan isn't ready by then, Cerrone will get the shot by default. Problem is that he already go dominated by Pettis and nothing he's shown since then leads me to believe he would be any more competitive in a future fight with Pettis.

Speaking of Cerrone, somebody on twitter mentioned that he's fought 7 times since Cain last defended his belt.

I'm not seeing how so many people believe that Henderson won decisively.

If you want to call Henderson the winner, that's fine.

But that fight was way too close, for someone to label it as Henderson being "robbed".

I don't think it was a robbery, but I still feel like Henderson won it. It wasn't as bad as Pendred getting the nod over Spencer, but MMADecisions only had 2 media members score the fight for Cerrone. 

For whatever its worth, Dana said he thought Henderson won as well, and he loves Cerrone.

• Like 1

Thoughts from others IRT is UFC the new WWF/E?  I grew up with folks who swore that wrestling was real, their counter-argument to me was that I should get in the ring with them if I thought it was fake.  I know these guys are superb athletes regardless whether or not the fights are scripted/predetermined, but continue to wonder.  I could get into this sport if I actually believed the fights were not predetermined. 

Thoughts from others IRT is UFC the new WWF/E?  I grew up with folks who swore that wrestling was real, their counter-argument to me was that I should get in the ring with them if I thought it was fake.  I know these guys are superb athletes regardless whether or not the fights are scripted/predetermined, but continue to wonder.  I could get into this sport if I actually believed the fights were not predetermined. 

Not directly related to the fights themselves but maybe relevant - when McGregor jumped out of the cage and into the crowd and got into the face of Aldo (and whoever he was with), that totally had the look of WWE. Especially the fact that Aldo did not look the least bit stunned or startled, as one might expect, but rather was smiling ear to ear. Almost as if it was expected and/or rehearsed. 

Its not predetermined, at least beyond the regional levels of the sport. Fighters who can talk a good game do get some preferential treatment because it is a business, but once you're in the cage, nothing is predetermined.