Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

we will see......i'd put my money on liddell......silva lost to tito ortiz......liddell beat tito's ass last time they fought

That was back in 2000 when both of them had peach fuzz on their asses. There is no way Tito would have beat Wanderlei in his prime. Wanderlei went without a loss for like 4 years after he lost the decision to Tito. Wanderlei developed in to a legend with his fists and knees, Tito with his mouth and a little ground game.

That was back in 2000 when both of them had peach fuzz on their asses. There is no way Tito would have beat Wanderlei in his prime. Wanderlei went without a loss for like 4 years after he lost the decision to Tito. Wanderlei developed in to a legend with his fists and knees, Tito with his mouth and a little ground game.

I basically agree with you, however, the reason I think Liddell is going to win this fight is that all the juiced out men who come over from Pride into the UFC fail, big time. The only few guys who weren't juicing in Pride and crossed over, Jackson and Henderson, are actually succeeding in the UFC (Henderson lost, but that was at the higher wt.) Wanderlei has been juiced out of his frickin' brain half of his career, so it's going to be interesting to see how he performs now that he's in the UFC with more stringent steroid rules. Whatever, this is going to be an awesome fight, can't wait.

By the way, who do you pick for the GSP vs. Hughes fight?? I can't stand Hughes and GSP's my favorite fighter, so I have to go with GSP. Not very scientific, but I can't go against GSP, lol.

I basically agree with you, however, the reason I think Liddell is going to win this fight is that all the juiced out men who come over from Pride into the UFC fail, big time. The only few guys who weren't juicing in Pride and crossed over, Jackson and Henderson, are actually succeeding in the UFC (Henderson lost, but that was at the higher wt.) Wanderlei has been juiced out of his frickin' brain half of his career, so it's going to be interesting to see how he performs now that he's in the UFC with more stringent steroid rules. Whatever, this is going to be an awesome fight, can't wait.

By the way, who do you pick for the GSP vs. Hughes fight?? I can't stand Hughes and GSP's my favorite fighter, so I have to go with GSP. Not very scientific, but I can't go against GSP, lol.

That's an interesting point about juicing, if you look at Cro Cop and Shogun you'd think they were blasting 4 quarts in their bum a day in Pride the way they've failed so far in the UFC. Shogun looks like an alcoholic hot dog eater. But he did have an ACL tear. I don't know if that's the reason he got fat.

It's hard to tell who was juicing and who wasn't, truthfully. Wanderlei doesn't need 'roids to knock someone out. Chuck has knocked out some Pride crossovers, but they were middle of the packers. This is former Pride champion, and part time mauler, Wanderlei Silva.

As far as GSP and Hughes, I've waited this long to watch the weigh ins, so I guess I'll wait to make my official picks until after they happen. Although, seeing GSP ripped and Matt lookin' like a steam engine is probable. I dunno, GSP likes fighting people that don't have K.O. power. Hughes is great on the ground, GSP is also. Hard to tell, I think Hughes wants this to go to the ground ASAP. He's probably ready for a war down there.

Well that was quite a weigh in.

Wanderlei was way up in Chucks grill when they were face to face. At the end Wanderlei bucked at him. Chuck took a few steps back and flipped him off. Wanderlei then went after Chuck and they were broken up. Could have been staged but it seemed otherwise. Chuck looked like he did make a nice attempt in getting in better shape. He flexed, but it did show a little 2 or 3 pack in his stomach.

Machida looks like he's ready for Soko. Soko didn't looked as ripped as he did in Pride. No more 'roids, possibly?

GSP also didn't look real strong. Could be because he just got out of the sauna, but he wasn't looking his absolute best. Matt Hughes looks like a train as usual.

my picks for UFC 79:

Eddie Sanchez vs. Soa Palalei: don't particularly care about this fight, not really sure why its on the main card. i flipped a coin, Eddie won.

Eddie Sanchez by UD

Melvin Guillard vs. Rich Clementi: Melvin has all the physical ability to be successful, but is a head case. kinda like a lightweight version of Kevin Randleman in that sense. Still he has some serious power in his hands, and i think he'll connect one on Rich before he can mentally breakdown.

Melvin Guillard by KO, round 1

Machida vs. Sokoudjou: the fight i'm most looking forward to on the card. Machida is an excellent, albeit boring, counter-puncher. He gameplans very well. Soko is an explosive fighter with some serious power. He also has some damn good Judo, although he hasn't had to use it in a fight yet. Machida doesn't have KO power, and if Soko withstood Arona's takedown attempt, i don't see Machida getting him down. I think Soko will be able to aggressively move in on Machida since he doesn't have to respect his power. I see Soko connecting with something in Round 2 to put Machida away.

Sokoudjou by KO, round 2

Liddell vs. Silva: could easily go either way. Silva's aggressive style could play right into Chuck's countering style. Chuck is the older fighter though, and i think the initial burst that Silva throws at him may catch by surprise. even match up, goin back and forth until Silva drops Liddell with a punch in round 2 and finishes with ground and pound.

Silva by TKO, round 2

St. Pierre vs. Hughes: i don't see how Hughes can win this fight honestly. their 2nd fight, Hughes was dominated everywhere. Hughes standup is pretty poor for such a high-caliber fighter, which is really a testament to how strong his wrestling is. However St. Pierre has proven time and time again that he has some of the best wrestling in MMA. He not only took Koscheck down, but defended takedowns from Koschek as well. Hughes could not get him down in their 2nd fight, i don't see him taking St. Pierre down in this fight.

St. Pierre by TKO, round 2

Predictions for UFC 79:

Soa Palelei vs. Eddie Sanchez: Eddie has UFC experience, Soa doesn't. Soa's a big freakin' fighter at 265. Eddie should be able to handle it with his octagon experience and intense style. Sanchez Split Decision.

Rich Clementi vs. Melvin Guillard: Melvin usually does well against strikers. Clementi has to take this to the ground. I think he will, and he'll succeed. Clementi round 2 sub.

Rameau Sokoudjou vs. Lyoto Machida: Very well could be the fight of the night. Soko's two upset victories in Pride were due to no video to gameplan from and Soko's devistating punching power. Machida is very technical with striking, but has no KO power. If he plans to score points against Soko, he better have a great gameplan. I think he will, but he'll run out of tricks in the 3rd round. Soko, TKO round 3.

Chuck Liddell vs. Wanderlei Silva: Chuck is a great counterpuncher, something Wanderlei has fallen victim to in some of his losses. Wanderlei is a great attacker, something Chuck has fallen victim to in most of his losses. This is Chuck's chance at getting the respect he lost after the quick KO from Rampage and the abominable loss to Jardine. I think he'll counter Wanderlei's diving strikes in the first round. This is one fight, that I think Chuck will actually do what he says and "knock him out in the first round". First round KO.

Matt Hughes vs. Georges St. Pierre: Matt should just lay down the whole time and wait for George to go to the ground. Even so, George is fantastic down there. I think when Serra went down and Matt heard George wanted the fight, he took a dry gulp and signed on. Matt is simply a great wrestler with dominant ground & pound, but he has a poor standup. He has to get GSP down, and GSP would be happy to oblige. Unanimous decision - GSP.

Predictions for UFC 79:

Soa Palelei vs. Eddie Sanchez: Eddie has UFC experience, Soa doesn't. Soa's a big freakin' fighter at 265. Eddie should be able to handle it with his octagon experience and intense style. Sanchez Split Decision.

Rich Clementi vs. Melvin Guillard: Melvin usually does well against strikers. Clementi has to take this to the ground. I think he will, and he'll succeed. Clementi round 2 sub.

Rameau Sokoudjou vs. Lyoto Machida: Very well could be the fight of the night. Soko's two upset victories in Pride were due to no video to gameplan from and Soko's devistating punching power. Machida is very technical with striking, but has no KO power. If he plans to score points against Soko, he better have a great gameplan. I think he will, but he'll run out of tricks in the 3rd round. Soko, TKO round 3.

Chuck Liddell vs. Wanderlei Silva: Chuck is a great counterpuncher, something Wanderlei has fallen victim to in some of his losses. Wanderlei is a great attacker, something Chuck has fallen victim to in most of his losses. This is Chuck's chance at getting the respect he lost after the quick KO from Rampage and the abominable loss to Jardine. I think he'll counter Wanderlei's diving strikes in the first round. This is one fight, that I think Chuck will actually do what he says and "knock him out in the first round". First round KO.

Matt Hughes vs. Georges St. Pierre: Matt should just lay down the whole time and wait for George to go to the ground. Even so, George is fantastic down there. I think when Serra went down and Matt heard George wanted the fight, he took a dry gulp and signed on. Matt is simply a great wrestler with dominant ground & pound, but he has a poor standup. He has to get GSP down, and GSP would be happy to oblige. Unanimous decision - GSP.

I so agree about the dry gulp. :)

I'm in line with you on every call. I think Melvin and Wandy have the best chance of proving us wrong.

Soa Palelei vs. Eddie Sanchez: I think the reason this is on the main card is to showcase Palelei. For that reason:

Palalei by KO

Rich Clementi vs. Melvin Guillard: I don't like either one of these fighters. I think Melvin will have enough opportunities on his feet to knock Rich out

Melvin by KO

Rameau Sokoudjou vs. Lyoto Machida: Machida has too much experiance for Soku. He will frustrate and spoil Soku's UFC debut.

Machida by decision

Chuck Liddell vs. Wanderlei Silva: This is a coin flip for me. I guess I am rooting for Wanderlie, but I will not be upset if Chuck takes it. Against Jardine it looked like Chuck was too used to 5 round fights and was very hesitant. I think Wandy takes iut to him early and we see samoe fireworks.

Wandy by KO

Matt Hughes vs. Georges St. Pierre: I will be rooting for GSP because Hughes is an ass, but Hughes is so focussed right now that I can't see GSP beating him again. Now that the dust has settled I am real glad we are seeing this fight instead of Hughes-Serra. I am laso very happy they made this a 5-rounder.

Hughes by Sub

Should be a great card. I will guarantee that it will not disappoint. I am psyched!

I think Hughes will sub GSP because then all the GSP nuthuggers can call both of Hughes wins over him "flukes" because you really didn't beat someone if you submitted them. :laugh:

I've never heard anyone say that about the Hughes sub over GSP. As of right now GSP holds the latest victory though. I'll take GSP with the sub round 2.

Soa Palelei vs. Eddie Sanchez: I think the reason this is on the main card is to showcase Palelei. For that reason:

Palalei by KO

Rich Clementi vs. Melvin Guillard: I don't like either one of these fighters. I think Melvin will have enough opportunities on his feet to knock Rich out

Melvin by KO

Rameau Sokoudjou vs. Lyoto Machida: Machida has too much experiance for Soku. He will frustrate and spoil Soku's UFC debut.

Machida by decision

Chuck Liddell vs. Wanderlei Silva: This is a coin flip for me. I guess I am rooting for Wanderlie, but I will not be upset if Chuck takes it. Against Jardine it looked like Chuck was too used to 5 round fights and was very hesitant. I think Wandy takes iut to him early and we see samoe fireworks.

Wandy by KO

Matt Hughes vs. Georges St. Pierre: I will be rooting for GSP because Hughes is an ass, but Hughes is so focussed right now that I can't see GSP beating him again. Now that the dust has settled I am real glad we are seeing this fight instead of Hughes-Serra. I am laso very happy they made this a 5-rounder.

Hughes by Sub

Should be a great card. I will guarantee that it will not disappoint. I am psyched!

Sebowski, you're going with the opposite picks that I made! You want some of this?!???!? :redpunch: :redpunch: