Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

I don't think anyone is surprised at this:

http://mmajunkie.com/news/17160/ufc-to-cut-houston-alexander-following-kimbo-slice-loss.mma

And lol to the Kalib Starnes comparison.

UFC to cut Houston Alexander following "Kimbo Slice" loss

MEMPHIS, Tenn. – Houston Alexander faltered when it mattered most, and now the UFC veteran will soon receive his walking papers from the organization.

UFC president Dana White today told a small group of reporters at the UFC 107 pre-event press conference that Alexander, who recently dropped a lackluster unanimous decision to Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson, has been cut from the UFC.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has since confirmed the process hasn't been completed but soon will be.

Alexander, who returned from a one-fight break from the organization, suffered the loss this past weekend on Dec. 5 at The Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale. Alexander circled the cage and didn't engage for nearly two minutes into the fight. Once he did, his explosive standup game – one that earned him a big fan following with vicious knockout of Keith Jardine and Alessio Sakara – never truly emerged.

Instead, Ferguson used solid clinch work and takedowns to control the fight and take the decision win. Alexander is now 2-4 in the UFC with four consecutive losses, and his overall mark stands at 9-5.

"I was going to leave," White said of Ferguson vs. Alexander. "I was going to get up and walk out of the fight. That's what I thought of it. If I didn't have to hand out 'The Ultimate Fighter' trophy at the end (of the event), I would have left that night. It wasn't a good night for me."

While complimenting Ferguson for a legit career win, White also compared Alexander to former UFC fighter Kalib Starnes, who was cut in 2008 following a bizarre loss to Nate Quarry. Starnes, who later said he was injured prior to the bout, continually backpeddled in the fight, which he lost via blowout scores of 30-26, 30-27 and 30-24.

"As disgusted as I was with Houston Alexander's performance, Kimbo beat a real guy," White said. "The last thing I expected was for Houston Alexander to come in and do the Kalib Starnes."

White said he never discussed his displeasure with the fighter.

"I don't even want to talk to him," he said. "Houston had an opportunity to – ahh, anyway."

The termination follows what had been a heavily promoted storyline for UFC officials. The UFC garnered a lot of positive mainstream press thanks to Alexander, a single father of six children who donated a kidney to one of his kids. The soft-spoken but hard-hitting hip-hop DJ and public speaker began his MMA career in underground fight clubs, where he quickly garnered a legendary reputation, before earning his way to the UFC.

Bobby Lashley to Strikeforce. Good signing IMO. The SF offer has been out there for a while, but I think he was waiting for an offer from the UFC, but I don't believe it ever came. I think I heard Dana mention that he was interested, but did not think he had enough experience at this point.

I think this could turn out to be a mistake, as if I were the UFC, I would sign almost anyone that has shown a decent amount of potential as a HW, because there are not that many of them out there. We saw the great crop that competed in TUF this season ;). Lashley probably would have had a very good shot at beating all of them but Nelson.

My question is, the UFC caught a lot of backlash after signing "fake wrestler" Brock Lesnar, even though he had not wrestled in WWE for a few years. Bobby Lashley is wrestling for TNA right now. Are they going to get similar criticism from fans. For some reason, I don't think so. I don't think it will get near the amount of criticism, for one, because Lesnar has taken that wal down a little, and secondly, some prople will take any available opportunity to complain about Dana White.

Full story: http://mmajunkie.com/news/17166/strikeforce-signs-ex-wwe-star-and-undefeated-mma-prospect-bobby-lashley.mma

Bobby Lashley to Strikeforce. Good signing IMO. The SF offer has been out there for a while, but I think he was waiting for an offer from the UFC, but I don't believe it ever came. I think I heard Dana mention that he was interested, but did not think he had enough experience at this point.

I think this could turn out to be a mistake, as if I were the UFC, I would sign almost anyone that has shown a decent amount of potential as a HW, because there are not that many of them out there. We saw the great crop that competed in TUF this season ;). Lashley probably would have had a very good shot at beating all of them but Nelson.

My question is, the UFC caught a lot of backlash after signing "fake wrestler" Brock Lesnar, even though he had not wrestled in WWE for a few years. Bobby Lashley is wrestling for TNA right now. Are they going to get similar criticism from fans. For some reason, I don't think so. I don't think it will get near the amount of criticism, for one, because Lesnar has taken that wal down a little, and secondly, some prople will take any available opportunity to complain about Dana White.

Full story: http://mmajunkie.com/news/17166/strikeforce-signs-ex-wwe-star-and-undefeated-mma-prospect-bobby-lashley.mma

there will always be some who criticize simply because he was former "wrestler", but Lashley wrestled in college as well. he was not quite as accomplished as Lesnar, but he has some legit training in a skill that is vital to MMA.

it would be one thing if the dude didnt have any training at all, and just walked off a faked wrestling into the a major promotion

Dana better start to take Strikeforce seriously. they are building an impressive roster of fighters, especially since they are sharing fighters with Dream

I wonder if they'll take it easy on him and have him start against Herschel Walker.

Dana better start to take Strikeforce seriously. they are building an impressive roster of fighters, especially since they are sharing fighters with Dream

Very true.

They don't promote nearly as well and they don't have TUF (which is easily the best marketing tool MMA has ever seen). The difference between the UFC and other fight groups is that UFC understands how to make fans emotionally invested in fighters by introducing the world to them in a more personal way. Strikeforce is more like boxing, they rely on big names to sell fights. That makes for short term interest. The UFC sells an entire card because their fans know 70% of the fighters on every card. They've seen them on TUF or they've seen them on prefight shows that takes you into their gyms and into their lives.

Strikeforce could have better fighters in every weight class, and still get crushed by UFC.

Edited by Destino

They don't promote nearly as well and they don't have TUF (which is easily the best marketing tool MMA has ever seen). The difference between the UFC and other fight groups is that UFC understands how to make fans emotionally invested in fighters by introducing the world to them in a more personal way. Strikeforce is more like boxing, they rely on big names to sell fights. That makes for short term interest. The UFC sells an entire card because their fans know 70% of the fighters on every card. They've seen them on TUF or they've seen them on prefight shows that takes you into their gyms and into their lives.

Strikeforce could have better fighters in every weight class, and still get crushed by UFC.

i'm not at all suggesting Strikeforce will overtake the UFC in terms of popularity. i'm just saying that UFC can no longer rest on the premise of them being the only "big show" in the states. Strikeforce has been around for a long time surviving without the big names because they have a relatively sound business model. the use of big names is new to strikeforce because they can now afford to bring them in. in addition to now having big names, they tend to have pretty good cards. they may not have a venue like TUF (which they should definitely look into), but they are the only MMA event on basic cable

strikeforce emerging as a legitimate promotion is not about them overtaking the UFC, its more about giving fighters (like Henderson) another option if they feel they are being misused, undervalued, or whatever by the UFC

Edited by StillUnknown

all fighters made weight, although several (including Diego) had to weigh in more than once

gouveia requested a change to his fight with Belcher. it was changed to Franklinweight (195lbs) before the weigh-ins

not the first time Gouveia has had trouble making 185

Edited by StillUnknown

its real hard for me to take diego seriously when he makes faces like that

He does look to be in major shape for this fight though. He's got some size on BJ too. He's making me think he'll bring something for Baby Jay. Penn better end it early cuz The Nightmare looks like he can go 5.

It's not that Strikeforce is going to overtake UFC, but you have to look at the difference in business models.

Best example is the latest with Dan Henderson. Everyone knows the UFC probably offered him the most "money" but they also demanded that Henderson sign away every single right he would ever have to sponsorships, including lifetime video game rights etc etc.

With Strikeforce, he will get his contract salary, and also be allowed to get his own sponsorships, and promote himself on his website etc etc etc.

People often fail to realize t hat sponsorships can and usually do pay a fighter a hell of a lot more then what they make for winning fights.

Also, the UFC is coming up on a rough patch until about March/April/May. Their three big fights that they had planned, Rashad/Rampage, Brock/Carwin, and Belfort/Silva are all on the shelf right now due to injuries and other circumstances, so instead of cancelling PPV shows, Dana White is scrambling to his marketing team to sell the public an inferior product on PPV shows. There is no way Rashad Evans vs. Paulo Thiago is a PPV Main Event......Couture vs. Mark Coleman? Seriously? Are you kidding me? I am not saying these fights don't belong on a PPV Card, but not as the Main Events...not even close.

And as far as Dana White goes, his hypocritical arse is getting what he deserves.

Three years ago when Fedor finished Coleman for the second time, you know what Dana's response was? "Who cares, Mark Coleman is an over the hill (tomato) can at this point" Well that is nice, but now Dana White has Coleman booked for a PPV Main Event.

This is the type of business and promoting that people need to see past. Watch any countdown show and they have you believing every single fight is "what the fans have been waiting for" or "FINALLY this fight is happening"

Yeah Right.

Anyone else think it's weird the way BJ keeps saying he's just trying to enjoy everything, and he's not worried about anything else? It's like he has already said "If I lose, I'm done, and I don't care". Now, that's just how it sounds. Anytime I hear a fighter talk like that, I assume they're at the end of their career. But, then again, he's still calling Diego to the middle of the ring. Maybe he's just ****ing with Diego when he says that stuff. Regardless, either BJ is trying to change his image, **** with Diego, or is honestly sick of training and ready to hang up the gloves.

Anyone else think it's weird the way BJ keeps saying he's just trying to enjoy everything, and he's not worried about anything else? It's like he has already said "If I lose, I'm done, and I don't care". Now, that's just how it sounds. Anytime I hear a fighter talk like that, I assume they're at the end of their career. But, then again, he's still calling Diego to the middle of the ring. Maybe he's just ****ing with Diego when he says that stuff. Regardless, either BJ is trying to change his image, **** with Diego, or is honestly sick of training and ready to hang up the gloves.

I get a weird feeling about BJ saying he just wants to enjoy it too. Sounds like something a fighter about to lose or just lost says. I don't think it is because he is done. It sounds the opposite to me. He used to sound like the next fight was the most important thing in the world and that he'd quit and hide in a hole if he lost. Now it sounds like he may just be fighting for fun and will keep fighting even if he loses a couple. Either way I'm trying not to over think it and worry about it.

Just finished the countdown show.

How can Mir be that upset with Brock and then talk so much **** about Kongo. He has no respect for Kongo. Insult after insult. Then he whines about Brock getting in his face and talking **** after proving he was the better man. Isn't that better than doing it from your gym before the fight without even knowing Kongo? I hope Kongo knocks his block off.

I get a weird feeling about BJ saying he just wants to enjoy it too. Sounds like something a fighter about to lose or just lost says. I don't think it is because he is done. It sounds the opposite to me. He used to sound like the next fight was the most important thing in the world and that he'd quit and hide in a hole if he lost. Now it sounds like he may just be fighting for fun and will keep fighting even if he loses a couple. Either way I'm trying not to over think it and worry about it.

Can't argue. There's a couple fighters I could never figure out, and BJ is one of them. When Rampage fought Wandy (the last time), I thought he was timid and terrified. Then...Well...We know what happened. BJ is a smart dude, and he seems like the type that will never find anything better in life than fighting. Hell, he's rich, and was before he fought, yet he's still fighting.

Anyone have links to the Mir **** talking? I haven't really been paying attention to him and Kongo (I expect it to be ultimately a boring fight, with Mir winning in the 3rd via exhaustion on Kongo's part).

UFC 107: YES!, picks:

Paul Buentello vs. Stefan Struve: Buentello blasts him on the feet or Struve educates him on the ground. Just pull guard. Triangle round 1, Struve.

Jon Fitch vs. Mike Pierce: Bathroom and potato chip break, Fitch.

Kenny Florian vs. Clay Guida: Florian loses a point grabbing the fence and we have a draw; except one scorecard reads 30-26. Majority Draw.

Frank Mir vs. Cheick Kongo: Kongo's lack of ground game was exposed against Cain, but Cain does that to everybody. Before Cain, people were noticing Kongo made improvements with his ability to get up off the ground. I don't think Mir can hold him down like Cain did. He'll get bloodied and cracked. Kongo TKO G&P, round 2.

BJ Penn vs. Diego Sanchez: YES!.......no. Usually when I'm this confident for a fight you should bet on the other fighter. BJ by spider on a moth, round 3.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

It's not that Strikeforce is going to overtake UFC, but you have to look at the difference in business models.

Best example is the latest with Dan Henderson. Everyone knows the UFC probably offered him the most "money" but they also demanded that Henderson sign away every single right he would ever have to sponsorships, including lifetime video game rights etc etc.

With Strikeforce, he will get his contract salary, and also be allowed to get his own sponsorships, and promote himself on his website etc etc etc.

People often fail to realize t hat sponsorships can and usually do pay a fighter a hell of a lot more then what they make for winning fights.

Also, the UFC is coming up on a rough patch until about March/April/May. Their three big fights that they had planned, Rashad/Rampage, Brock/Carwin, and Belfort/Silva are all on the shelf right now due to injuries and other circumstances, so instead of cancelling PPV shows, Dana White is scrambling to his marketing team to sell the public an inferior product on PPV shows. There is no way Rashad Evans vs. Paulo Thiago is a PPV Main Event......Couture vs. Mark Coleman? Seriously? Are you kidding me? I am not saying these fights don't belong on a PPV Card, but not as the Main Events...not even close.

And as far as Dana White goes, his hypocritical arse is getting what he deserves.

Three years ago when Fedor finished Coleman for the second time, you know what Dana's response was? "Who cares, Mark Coleman is an over the hill (tomato) can at this point" Well that is nice, but now Dana White has Coleman booked for a PPV Main Event.

This is the type of business and promoting that people need to see past. Watch any countdown show and they have you believing every single fight is "what the fans have been waiting for" or "FINALLY this fight is happening"

Yeah Right.

Dana ****ed up by not retaining Dan Henderson. Hendo is one of the better fighters of the last decade and is so flexible he can pretty much fight in three weight classes if need be (he's fought guys like Big Nog and Gil Yvel).

There were great rematches to be had between he and Anderson, Vitor, Wandy or even Rich Franklin and then there were guys like Marquardt that presented interesting bouts too.

I can't imagine that Dan was asking for so much money that the UFC thought it was in their best interest to let him walk. I think he was fed up with their stupid ban of his clinch gear and the fact that they overlooked him for the Anderson fight when he'd already beaten Vitor and he'd earned his way back into contention and especially since Dana had publicly noted that he knew that's what the fans wanted to see.

I can see Dana trying to spin this to his advantage now, when Hendo goes in and beats someone like Jake Shields, Dana will start to say that the UFC puts out the best fighters and that's why none of the Strikeforce guys stand a chance and yadda yadda yadda.

Then people will casually point to Arlovski and Tim Sylvia, and the fact that Hendo has spent over half of his career in Pride.

Not to mention, I think Hendo is going to enjoy Strikeforce because it opens up the opportunity for him to fight in Japan again, which he obviously loves.

it was changed to Franklinweight (195lbs) before the weigh-ins

:laugh:

Can't argue. There's a couple fighters I could never figure out, and BJ is one of them. When Rampage fought Wandy (the last time), I thought he was timid and terrified. Then...Well...We know what happened. BJ is a smart dude, and he seems like the type that will never find anything better in life than fighting. Hell, he's rich, and was before he fought, yet he's still fighting.

Anyone have links to the Mir **** talking? I haven't really been paying attention to him and Kongo (I expect it to be ultimately a boring fight, with Mir winning in the 3rd via exhaustion on Kongo's part).

I think maybe BJ's bored with his competition at this point. The only reason why I think BJ would have any worries that Diego is probably a natural Welterweight, which BJ has traditionally had trouble with. Other than that, I think Sanchez is going to get finished.

UFC 107: Matt Wyman's still fighting TUF rejects.

Kenny Florian vs Clay Guida: The Flo won't finish this fight but he'll edge out the Carpenter, who will again please the crowd but come up short. It is his destiny.

Kenny by unanimous decision. 30-29 on all 3.

Jon Fitch: Jon Fitch.

Jon Fitch.

Cheick Kongo vs. Frank Mir: No idea why Mir's being such a jerk. I can only surmise that he's psyching himself up. I think he talks crap to make sure he backs it up. Sort of a "put pressure on myself" type thing. Frank's not as busy a fighter as Cain Velasquez so I'm not sure he will wear Kongo out. He is craftier than Cain though and I see him taking some lumps early and then pulling something sweet from guard. If Brock got subbed by Mir, Kongo will too.

Mir by submission, round 3.

Diego "The Nightmare" Sanchez vs. Baby Jay Penn: I have to admit that I'm not as sold on a BJ victory as everyone else is. Maybe I'm just paranoid because I'm a big Penn fan. I'm worried that the GSP fight may have shortened BJ's career by at least 2 fights. Even the very best hit the wall and I just hope this won't be BJ's wall. I can't pick against him though.

BJ Penn by choke-out. I don't see Diego tapping.

Just finished the countdown show.

How can Mir be that upset with Brock and then talk so much **** about Kongo. He has no respect for Kongo. Insult after insult. Then he whines about Brock getting in his face and talking **** after proving he was the better man. Isn't that better than doing it from your gym before the fight without even knowing Kongo? I hope Kongo knocks his block off.

i felt the same way. its one thing to criticize kongo's abilities as a fighter, but then Mir had to knock the man for his english speaking as well? i can pretty much guarantee that Kongo's english is alot better than Mir's french.

i sincerely hope Kongo catches him with some brutal that puts him to sleep

UFC 107: Sponsored by The A-Team

Paul Buentello vs. Stefan Struve: dont really care enough about this fight to go in depth.

Struve by submission, 2nd Round

Jon Fitch vs. Mike Pierce: see Frankie Edgar vs. Matt Veach

Fitch by Submission, 2nd Round

Kenny Florian vs. Clay Guida: kenny's first fight since leaving Dellagrotte's camp. Guida's first official camp with Greg Jackson's crew (what fighters dont they have at this point?). Kenny will be superior on the feet and on the ground in terms of jiu-jitsu. guida will have the edge in wrestling, but probably wont be able to do much once it hits the floor. this has the potential to be a boring fight. i think Guida eats a couple shots early, then gets a takedown for some lay n pray after he realizes he cant pass kenny's guard.

Guida by Split Decision

Frank Murr vs. Cheick Kongo: we all know this fight has one of two endings: mir by submission or Kongo by knockout. for as bad as Kongo is on the ground, he's never actually been submitted. fortunately for Kongo all fights start on the feet. he was able to blast Cain whenever they were standing before Cain's wrestling kicked in. Murr is not near the wrestler Cain is. Kongo will probably be put on his ass at some point where he will try his hardest to scramble back to his feet. i dont see him escaping Mir's submission attempts for 3 rounds

Mir by Submission, 2nd Round (i hope i'm wrong on this one)

BJ Penn vs. Diego Sanchez: striking, bj wins. on the ground, bj wins. bj's cardio issues have not been an issue since he dropped back to 155. the formula to beating bj is being strong enough and disciplined in technique enough to get him on the ground. BJ is a better wrestler than Diego, and Diego does not possess GSP or Matt Hughes kind of strength. Diego will come out with his usual bursts of energy. unfortunately for him, BJ's boxing is very good, and diego will be peppered with jab after jab as he's in the middle of blitzing BJ.

Penn by (T)KO, Round 3

Diego "The Nightmare" Sanchez vs. Baby Jay Penn: I have to admit that I'm not as sold on a BJ victory as everyone else is. Maybe I'm just paranoid because I'm a big Penn fan. I'm worried that the GSP fight may have shortened BJ's career by at least 2 fights. Even the very best hit the wall and I just hope this won't be BJ's wall. I can't pick against him though.

BJ Penn by choke-out. I don't see Diego tapping.

As a big BJ fan (pun intended. hehe.) I agree with you.

UFC 107:

Paul Buentello vs. Stefan Struve: I have a soft spot for Buentello. I think I've already tols the story a couple times on here. He is just one of those unassuming guys with one shot KO power. He is always underestimated. Sometimes rightfully so. I think he is fired up here. If he wins (or even looks alright) I guarantee he is Kimbo's next opponent. He wants that bad.

Buentello by KO

Kenny Florian vs Clay Guida: Kenny is upset people say he has trouble with wrestlers. He is going to have to prove them wrong. I don't think he does.

Guida by decision.

Jon Fitch vs. Mike Pierce: Belcher is pissed that he got robbed by the judges in the Akiyama fight. I think he takes this right to Gouvia to make a statement. I like Goubia, but he had trouble making weight again. I don't think he is as motivated as Belcher is. Belcher by KO of the night. Wait.... Fitch-Pierce is on the main card instead? Really? Oh man... Who's Mike Pierce anyway?

Jon Fitch by TKO

Cheick Kongo vs. Frank Mir: Mir keeps saying it is a fifteen minute fight and he only needs one takedown. I think he is wrong on both counts. The fight starts standing, Mir. It won't be a fifteen minute fight.

Kongo by Knocking Mir's block off

Diego Sanchez vs. BJ Penn:

This will start fast and Diego will go right for the takedown and try to GSP BJ. Diego is no GSP though. I am hoping that BJ learned from the Florian fight that sometimes he should be the one initiating the takedown. Diego can't handle BJ on top of him. No 155 can. BJ keeps preaching about how great and how far ahead the Marinovichs are in conditioning, and all I keep thinking about is how their kid turned out to be a total mess. I know that is unfair though.

BJ Penn by RNC in the Fight of the Night and submission of the night

Edited by Sebowski