Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Did anyone see the interview with BJ and Diego? Forgot what channel it was on. Essentially, BJ stated that Diego has been saying "meet me in the middle of the ring", a call to BJ to stand with Diego rather than take the fight to the mat. BJ called out Diego first thing, and Diego responded with the "this is a war, I'll go wherever the war goes, blah blah blah".

At the very end of the interview, you could tell BJ was still pissed, and said semi-sarcastically "I'll see you in the middle of the ring Diego". Diego responded with "can't wait for the fight" or some crap.

Anyways, I think Diego was honestly oblivious to what BJ was trying to get across to him. Now, I know Diego is most likely insane (in a goofy, cheesy, slightly inbred way), but is he a mental midget as well? All signs are pointing to yes. I'm not sure whether I hate him or feel sorry for him.

EDIT: Nevermind. This was on the TUF Finale. DUH! Maybe I'm the mental midget. Here's a ****ty version of the interview, though it cuts off the end: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFcZy3yRrLM

Edited by herrmag

Did anyone see the interview with BJ and Diego? Forgot what channel it was on. Essentially, BJ stated that Diego has been saying "meet me in the middle of the ring", a call to BJ to stand with Diego rather than take the fight to the mat. BJ called out Diego first thing, and Diego responded with the "this is a war, I'll go wherever the war goes, blah blah blah".

At the very end of the interview, you could tell BJ was still pissed, and said semi-sarcastically "I'll see you in the middle of the ring Diego". Diego responded with "can't wait for the fight" or some crap.

Anyways, I think Diego was honestly oblivious to what BJ was trying to get across to him. Now, I know Diego is most likely insane (in a goofy, cheesy, slightly inbred way), but is he a mental midget as well? All signs are pointing to yes. I'm not sure whether I hate him or feel sorry for him.

EDIT: Nevermind. This was on the TUF Finale. DUH! Maybe I'm the mental midget. Here's a ****ty version of the interview, though it cuts off the end: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFcZy3yRrLM

I saw that. BJ always has that tense nervousness about him before a fight. Diego is just the opposite. I think he has an implant in his ear of Tony Robbins telling him how great he is over and over again. It doesn't let him take anything in from the outside world. Maybe Diego is smarter than we think and he has a GSP/Clay Guida gameplan in mind for BJ. We'll see.

Either way, BJ by RNC.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/17145/dustin-hazelett-verbally-agrees-to-replace-carlos-condit-face-paul-daley-at-ufc-108.mma

The UFC has received plenty of practice in booking replacement fighters for the upcoming "UFC 108: Silva vs. Evans" event, so today's loss of Carlos Condit in the evening's co-feature slot was no problem.

Dustin Hazelett (12-4 MMA, 5-2 UFC) has verbally agreed to fill the open role and face British slugger Paul Daley (22-8-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC) on the Jan. 2 event in Las Vegas.

Bout agreements have yet to be signed.

News of the new agreement was first issued by MMAWeekly, and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has since verified the report with sources close to the event.

The bout is still expected to be featured as the evening's co-main event and air live on pay per view.

The contest will be Hazelett's first since a November 2008 win over Tamdan McCrory. "McLovin" was forced into a year-long hiatus due to a knee injury, and a UFC 106 bout in November was scratched when opponent Karo Parisyan pulled out for, according to UFC president Dana White, "a laundry list of reasons."

Hazelett provides a threat on the ground for Daley, as the 23-year-old has earned nine of his 12 career wins by submission. Hazelett has also earned back-to-back "Submission of the Night" honors in his past two UFC appearances.

Meanwhile, Daley will provide the "Striker" portion of the classic "Striker vs. Grappler" matchup.

Following his UFC 103 TKO win over Martin Kampmann, Daley told MMAjunkie.com he was more than willing to repeat the performance of his promotional debut against anyone the UFC offered.

"I'll do it again, and I don't care who's standing in front of me," Daley said. "I'm just going to be the same fighter and go out there to finish people."

The 26-year-old Team Rough House product has won 10 of his past 12 contests, and "Semtex" has earned 17 of his 22 career wins by knockout or TKO.

Hazelett better get this to the ground. not sure if his takedown game is good enough to get it there though

Semtex will kill him standing

I saw that. BJ always has that tense nervousness about him before a fight. Diego is just the opposite. I think he has an implant in his ear of Tony Robbins telling him how great he is over and over again. It doesn't let him take anything in from the outside world. Maybe Diego is smarter than we think and he has a GSP/Clay Guida gameplan in mind for BJ. We'll see.

Either way, BJ by RNC.

Maybe you're right. Maybe he is smarter than I'm giving him credit for. I just can't forget Kos's recall of Diego's brother approaching him in a bar/club saying "look into my eyes, you know who I am". That silly **** tells me he comes from an eccentric family, and all that eccentric crap means nothing in the cage. He left the WW division for a reason. He'll never beat Fitch, much less GSP.

I don't know Diego, and I don't know his family. Maybe they're just really nice people. But, as I've learned, being human doesn't help you in the ring (Unless your nickname is "Bones"). Being a psycho that has no feelings does. We saw Diego get weakened as soon as Kos hit him hard in that fight, and Diego for the most part going into a shell.

BJ is crazy, for good or bad. I don't see Diego winning any mental battle. The only way he wins is BJ coming in with his notorious un-cardio-ness. :) Regardless, good fight coming up I hope.

Edited by herrmag

http://mmajunkie.com/news/17145/dustin-hazelett-verbally-agrees-to-replace-carlos-condit-face-paul-daley-at-ufc-108.mma

Hazelett better get this to the ground. not sure if his takedown game is good enough to get it there though

Semtex will kill him standing

I agree with you, but I think this is a great fill in for condit. If he can get it to the ground, he could end it. Daley is no joke on his feet though. Should be good!

I agree with you, but I think this is a great fill in for condit. If he can get it to the ground, he could end it. Daley is no joke on his feet though. Should be good!

i'm a fan of both fighters, but i want Semtex to win solely because i want to see Semtex vs. Thiago Alves

that fight has the potential of a standup classic

Although I respect Diego as a fighter, I just think that to beat BJ you have to really mix it up with him and I don't know if Sanchez has proven he's durable enough to really mix it up with someone as offensively potent at 155 as BJ Penn.

BJ made a great point about the difference in the level of competition. Penn's fought a who's who across multiple weight divisions (GSP, Hughes, Renzo Gracie, Machida). i dont think Diego brings anything that can surprise BJ

bj has even answered the cardio issues his last couple of fights. People expected Sherk to drown him in deep waters, didnt' happen. people thought Florian would have the advantage late in the fight, BJ had his most dominant round in the 4th.

it would be one thing if Diego had power in his strikes, but he's the kind of fighter that does damage by volume of punches, not so much with a single shot (the joe riggs KO being an exception)

i'm not giving Diego much of a chance at all in this fight. i think Sherk/Florian presented more dangers to BJ than Sanchez does

at 155, Penn is just about untouchable

Edited by StillUnknown

Although I respect Diego as a fighter, I just think that to beat BJ you have to really mix it up with him and I don't know if Sanchez has proven he's durable enough to really mix it up with someone as offensively potent at 155 as BJ Penn.

Excuse my ignorance.... I'm relatively new to MMA and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Just last week one of my sparring partners showed me an instructional Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu video of BJ Penn.

He told me BJ Penn got his black belt in BJJ in 2 years (unheard of).... and that his arsenal isn't all that elaborate.... he just knows enough of the critically important moves and executes them very well/efficiently.

Does that sound like the same guy you're describing?

Excuse my ignorance.... I'm relatively new to MMA and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Just last week one of my sparring partners showed me an instructional Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu video of BJ Penn.

He told me BJ Penn got his black belt in BJJ in 2 years (unheard of).... and that his arsenal isn't all that elaborate.... he just knows enough of the critically important moves and executes them very well/efficiently.

I could agree with this. He is not known for discipline but he is known for technical excellence, so maybe he got that belt so quickly because he was indeed that fast of a learner.

BJ's got amazing ligament strength, which is another way of saying he's "****strong" or just naturally tough as nails. His hands are heavy and his leverage on the mat is supreme. StillUnknown is right- there's just not much that tells us Diego has a chance here unless BJ really screws up royally.

Personally I think the most reliable way to beat BJ Penn is to bring the fight to him and put him on his back. I think standing with him at his weight class is a mistake because of his great hands and his rock solid chin. Matt Hughes and GSP that created the two most decisive wins over BJ did so by putting him on his back and beating him down.

I don't buy that his cardio is great and I think you can take some of the fight out of him. He won't give up but he'll try to defend instead of attack when he thinks he's in trouble. If Diego stands any chance against BJ it will be by scoring take downs early and doing as much damage as possible from a dominate position early in the fight.

I could agree with this. He is not known for discipline but he is known for technical excellence, so maybe he got that belt so quickly because he was indeed that fast of a learner.

BJ's got amazing ligament strength, which is another way of saying he's "****strong" or just naturally tough as nails. His hands are heavy and his leverage on the mat is supreme. StillUnknown is right- there's just not much that tells us Diego has a chance here unless BJ really screws up royally.

Don't forget the fact that his mobility and control of his legs is uncanny. He can use them like arms in a fight and dealing with him once he's on top is almost impossible.

at 155, Penn is just about untouchable

In the UFC....I want to see what he has against Alvarez or Aoki.

Another reason why he may have earned his black belt so quickly (I remember reading somewhere that it was actually 3 years) is because he comes from a wealthy family and I'm guessing he didn't have a job at the time and just trained 5-6 days a week. He was only 19 when he started training.

Another reason why he may have earned his black belt so quickly (I remember reading somewhere that it was actually 3 years) is because he comes from a wealthy family and I'm guessing he didn't have a job at the time and just trained 5-6 days a week. He was only 19 when he started training.

This may be closer to the truth. :)

I think BJ's biggest asset is his ability to stay cool and keep his technique incredibly sharp throughout a fight, both on the ground and standing. He has great continuity, it almost looks like he's sparring when he fights. It's like you're watching a clinic and his opponent is helping him put it on. At least when he fights at 155...

Personally I think the most reliable way to beat BJ Penn is to bring the fight to him and put him on his back. I think standing with him at his weight class is a mistake because of his great hands and his rock solid chin. Matt Hughes and GSP that created the two most decisive wins over BJ did so by putting him on his back and beating him down.

GSP & Hughes are two of the strongest & best wrestlers in the WW division, and they still had some trouble getting Penn down.

Penn's takedown defense is arguably the best in the sport (definitely top 3). his flexibility allows him use leverage from weird places

taking him down is not an easy task at all, which is why Sherk said he abandoned the plan all together when they fought. to get BJ down you have to have flawless technique and freakish strength. at 155 i dont think there is anybody physically strong enough to get him to the ground

Edited by StillUnknown