Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Apparently Bellator was about to sign CroCop, but the UFC made him a better offer. 

In 2015 the top 2 MMA organizations engaged in a bidding war for the corpse of Mirko CroCop.

Haha. Prepping up Brock's first opponent ?

Speaking of retirement, one fighter I'd really like to see come out of retirement, is Martin Kampmann.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

Haha. Prepping up Brock's first opponent ?

Speaking of retirement, one fighter I'd really like to see come out of retirement, is Martin Kampmann.

I think Kampmann replaced Ludwig as head trainer at Team Alpha Male. Solid all around fighter who's chin let him down on many occasions 

• Like 2

Not to mention the judges on a couple occasions.

I think his chin played a role there. He reacted to getting hit in odd ways. He always reminded me of how a character in a videogame reacts when getting hit. His motions were always exaggerated and made it seem he was hurt more than he might be.

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

Interesting card this weekend from a Light Heavyweight perspective.  I've always been a Phil Davis fan, mostly because he wrestled for Penn State, not because he's particularly exciting.  He's fighting Ryan Bader, who is basically a LH gatekeeper at this point.  I think Davis has been starting to woof about a shot at Jones, which is odd since the last I saw, he can't really strike.

Then you have Johnson-Gustafsson.  I think everyone wants to see Gus-Jones 2.  A Gus win I think strengthens Davis's argument down the line since he's the only person who has beaten Gus besides Jones.  Of course, Johnson beat Davis's ass and is ranked higher, so you'd think he'd be first in line.  If Johnson wins, would anyone be interested in Gus-Davis 2, assuming Davis beats Bader?

I think Gus wins, but Rumble has a good shot and is a good bet for the odds you can get on him right now. Gus has been little more hit-able since his first fight with Jones. Not sure you want to be on the receiving end of Rumble's power. I think Gus makes it a clinch battle though, and maybe mix in a little wrestling to keep Rumble off balance.

on a sidenote, a little more of #2015MMA for the fans:

Ariel HelwaniVerified account
‏@arielhelwani
Poland main event will be Mirko Cro Cop vs Gabriel Gonzaga 2. 4/11.

That's Cro Cop, who hasn't won a fight in the UFC since 2010 vs. a guy on a 2 fight losing streak in a main event.

on a sidenote, a little more of #2015MMA for the fans:

Ariel HelwaniVerified account

‏@arielhelwani

Poland main event will be Mirko Cro Cop vs Gabriel Gonzaga 2. 4/11.

That's Cro Cop, who hasn't won a fight in the UFC since 2010 vs. a guy on a 2 fight losing streak in a main event.

Poor, poor Mirko. 

I think Gus makes it a clinch battle though, and maybe mix in a little wrestling to keep Rumble off balance.

Actually I am expecting the opposite. I believe Gus will fight Rumble, similar to the same way he fought Jones. Using his boxing, footwork, height, jabs, and his excellent reach, to attempt to gradually pick apart Rumble to a decision.

If he clenches with Rumble, he is still in a dangerous position, because in clenching you're still vulnerable to Rumble's power, and he's probably safer going with the former strategy.

The wrestling issue is hard to decide on...3 out of the 4 losses for Johnson, were submissions, and all of them were rear-naked choke. However he probably improved in that area. Because even Phil Davis couldn't do anything to Johnson on the ground.

I predict this will be FOTY. Or a candidate.

I think there will be more excitement in this fight, overall, than say, Silva and Diaz.

It's just too bad they are being forced to start the fights at 3:15am, to accomodate the American audience.

I wonder how much of a factor that will be on the fighters ?

Does it slow them down, or does their training, conditioning, and adrenaline, completely offset the time ?

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

Poor, poor Mirko.

This is one fight I want either fighter to slip & break an ankle on the way into the ring, I really dont want to see either of these guys take a hit. Cro Cop got his name by being a cop, GO BACK TO BEING A COP. You understand when a guy has no other options, but this is just sad.

As for Rumble & Gus, no prediction but I hope Gus wins to set up the rematch. Also wouldn't mind seeing Rumble winds I think he could give Jones a run for his money if he gets an impressive win tomorrow. So Gus by any means necessary or Eumble by something awesome or complete domination, I'm just going to sit back and enjoy.

Don't get me started on Sanchez v Kampmann, I've typed too much about that here previously, & it does nothing to make me feel better, only more pissed off every time I remember it. I though Myles Jury was a wizard since he won a Dec. over Diego, but I didn't see him fight. After the Cowboy fight I figured Myles just ran away from the crazy flurries that miss 99% of the time. Martin was the best 170 I ever saw not to get a title shot.

I also picture Diego throwing punches from 15 feet away & KO'ing a ton of air, but not Myles, & crying after the decision. That though almost makes up for Kampmann, but not quite.

• Like 2

I think this will be a great fight, it is a big risk for Gus, and I would hate to see him robbed of the re-match he deserves against Bones, but I suppose that is how the fight game cookie crumbles due to match ups and fights you end up having to take.

If Gus loses, I hope he finds a way back to a title shot.

Edited by NoCalMike

my picks:

Gus by submission, 4th Round

Mousasi by Submission, 2nd Round

Bader by Unanimous Decision

Akira Corassani vs. Sam Scilia: looks really out of place on the main card

Bektic is an interesting guy to watch on the prelims.. A lot of scouts have him as one to watch at 145lbs.

Edited by StillUnknown

Yup that was early. He was rocked but he immediately grabbed the leg and was obviously actively defending himself.

I will say though, he probably would have been finished. Grabbing that leg wasn't going to stop the punches raining down on him and he wasn't going to take too many more,

Edited by Destino